Location: St Eustatius
Duration: Minimum 2 months commitment
Start Dates: Project is ongoing
Cost: Monthly rent of $275 with one rent deposit
Vaccinated interns may be able to avoid quarantine. This remains at the discretion of the Crisis Team on the island.
US and Dutch Citizens will be accepted if they are not vaccinated as they can stay longer than 3 months on the island, in case their quarantine time is prolonged. Prolonged quarantines happen if you need to go into isolation after getting a positive test after 10 days.
- Work alongside local staff in our Botanical garden
- Take part in all nature conservation activities on the island
- Help rebuild garden after Hurricanes Irma and Maria (2017)
- Keywords: Botanical Garden, Nature Conservation, Internship
Caribbean ecosystems are very sensitive, yet vital to the island economies and the well being of its populations. However they are under threat. From water pollution to climate change many ecosystems across the world are in decline. St Eustatius National Parks are part of a Dutch Caribbean wide conservation effort to preserve these vital resources on the small island of St Eustatius (Statia as it is locally called) in the North-East Caribbean .
St Eustatius National Parks manages a large land & marine protected area in order to preserve this fragile ecosystem for future generations. Part of our work is to ensure that these are upheld by the community and visiting tourists.
Over the past 20 years we have strived to protect life in Statia’s land & waters: from tiny coral species to the giant seasonal humpback whales that migrate through our waters in the winter. We preserve these natural resources so that we can enjoy them for generations to come. Our interns are part of every step along the way, are crucial to the organization and to the protection of nature on Statia.
You will be working with a non-governmental nature conservation organization based on the Dutch Caribbean island of St. Eustatius, which is legally mandated by the Island Government to manage all the island’s protected areas (the National Marine Park and the Quill/Boven National Park) as well as a young Botanical Garden on the 21km2 island of St Eustatius.
We are looking for interns (and volunteers) to help with maintenance, design, restructuring and development of our botanical garden. As it stands the botanical garden needs a lot of attention. Due to hurricane Irma and Maria (Sept. 2017) the garden was heavily damaged and the shade house destroyed. On top of that we have issues with roaming animals that enter the garden.
In 2016 we hired a new Botanical Garden Ranger who is eager to bring the garden back to its former glory. Big projects right now are: build new fence, build new shade house, bring more diversity in plants and color and renew signage. The botanical garden intern will be the right hand person of the garden ranger. This position has the potential to be very fulfilling. This position is not meant for professional gardeners unless you are explicitly looking for ways to transfer their knowledge to us.
- Daily garden maintenance including – but not limited to – raking, weeding, pruning, weed whacking, maintain composting and mulching systems plus irrigation of plants, carpentry, painting
- Assisting with building fence and shade house.
- Develop and execute plans for regenerating the garden and increase diversity of plants
- Develop sustainable ways of pest control
- Develop ways for replanting and structuring of arbors and specific areas
- Responsible with ranger for tools, organization of the tool shed, and update inventory
- Take on other projects, such as (choose): extend irrigation system, redevelopment of solar panel system, propagate the endemic Statia Morning Glory and other native Caribbean plants to be grown in the garden, renew plant identification labels.
- Work with incoming researchers
- Other tasks (not in garden): trail running, cleanup, cleaning tools and equipment, sea turtle patrols with the other interns and volunteers
Travel & Accommodation
Our primary location is a central, two-bedroom house. The monthly rent is $275. A deposit of $275 is also required.
Our secondary location is the Caribbean Netherlands Science Institute (CNSI) dorms. Rent varies with the room.
- Min age: 19
- Minimum commitment is 2 months (post-quarantine). Speak with us about options if you are vaccinated.
- Good English skills
- Also able to communicate to people of different nationalities
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to work as a team but also able to work independently
- Must be physically fit
- Has preferably a drivers license (manual driven preferred)
- Hard worker with good organizational skills
- Previous experience of working in gardens or relevant educational qualification
- Open-minded and culturally aware
- Willing, enthusiastic and proactive
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Necessary flights & visas
Accommodation in shared house, utility bills, internet, and airport pick up / drop off. The fee is paid upfront..
What’s not included:
Food (grocery runs are included during quarantine), flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations (if applicable). Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
You should budget a minimum of $300 per month for food.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organize for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organized with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate