Location: St Eustatius
Duration: Minimum 2 months commitment
Start Dates: Project is ongoing
Cost: $525 for the first month + $275 for each additional month - see Costs tab for further details.
- Work alongside local staff in our Botanical garden
- Take part in all nature conservation activities on the island
- Help maintain the reserve.
- Keywords: Botanical Garden, Nature Conservation, Internship
Caribbean ecosystems are very sensitive, yet vital to the island economies and the well being of its populations. However they are under threat. From water pollution to climate change many ecosystems across the world are in decline. St Eustatius National Parks are part of a Dutch Caribbean wide conservation effort to preserve these vital resources on the small island of St Eustatius (Statia as it is locally called) in the North-East Caribbean .
St Eustatius National Parks manages a large land & marine protected area in order to preserve this fragile ecosystem for future generations. Part of our work is to ensure that these are upheld by the community and visiting tourists.
Over the past 20 years we have strived to protect life in Statia’s land & waters: from tiny coral species to the giant seasonal humpback whales that migrate through our waters in the winter. We preserve these natural resources so that we can enjoy them for generations to come. Our interns are part of every step along the way, are crucial to the organization and to the protection of nature on Statia.
We need interns who are looking to help with maintenance, design and restructuring of our botanical garden. Currently our botanical garden is in a state of disrepair due to drought conditions. Recently we hired a new garden ranger to bring the garden back to its former glory - but there is a lot to do.
You will work closely with the botanical garden ranger and assist him in regenerating the garden. This position has the potential to be very fulfilling and give an immersive experience of what is involved in running a botanical garden.
- Daily garden maintenance including but not limited to raking, weeding, pruning, weed whacking etc.
- Weekly cleaning of garden facilities
- Pest control
- Irrigation of plants in the shade house and rest of the garden where necessary
- Maintain composting and mulching systems
- Replanting and structuring of arbors and specific areas
- Responsibility for tools and organization of the tool shed
- All interns are required to take part in nighttime patrol of the turtle nesting beach
- Develop irrigation system throughout the garden
- Redevelopment of solar panel system
- Propagate Statia Morning Glory and other native Caribbean plants to be grown in the garden
- Research possible implementation of grazing livestock in the garden as weed/grass control and manure generators
- Renew plant identification labels and update virtual herbarium
- Development of permaculture practices
Travel & Accommodation
We accept applications all year round, as positions open up throughout the year. Interns are responsible for travel arrangements, insurance and food during their stay. Accommodations are shared with other interns.
- Amenities include:
- 3-bedroom house with bunk beds
- Shared living space
- Full kitchen
- Shared bathroom
- Laundry facilities
- Cable TV
You will be within walking distance to town and shops where you can enjoy the island life and get your groceries.
- Min age: 21 (preferably)
- Minimum commitment is 2 months
- Good English skills
- Previous experience working with volunteers or volunteer work.
- Also able to communicate to people of different nationalities
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to work as a team but also able to work independently
- Must be physically fit
- Must possess a valid driver’s license (manual driving preferred)
- Hard worker with good organizational skills
- Previous experience of working in gardens or relevant educational qualification
- Open-minded and culturally aware
- Willing, enthusiastic and proactive
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Necessary flights & visas
$525 USD for the first month + $275 for each additional month
*Place is confirmed with the first month deposit
Accommodation in shared house, utility bills, internet, cable television & landline telephone, airport pick up / drop off. The fee is paid in cash each month, or upfront should you prefer.
What's not included:
Food, flights, travel insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
You should budget around $300 per month for food.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.