Location: St Eustatius
Duration: Minimum 2 months commitment
Start Dates: Project is ongoing
Cost: Monthly rent of $300 with one rent deposit
Currently, we are only accepting vaccinated interns.
Vaccinated interns only need to observe social distancing for 5 days, mask included. This includes the avoidance of events, social distancing and always wearing a mask in public. You will be tested on the 5th day.
- Work alongside local Education and Outreach staff
- Take part in all nature conservation activities on the island
- Increase the awareness of nature and ecosystem services
- Keywords: Education, Outreach, Communication, Awareness, Internship
STENAPA is a non-governmental nature conservation organization based on the Dutch Caribbean island of St. Eustatius. STENAPA is legally mandated by the Island Government to manage all the island’s protected areas (the Statia National Marine Park, the Quill/Boven National Park as well as a young Botanical Garden) on the 21km2 island of St Eustatius.
We are looking for interns to assist in nature education programs, external communication, such as awareness campaign, the creation of engaging content (photos, stories, and videos), press relations, website, and social media content.
You will be working with a non-governmental nature conservation organization based on the Dutch Caribbean island of St. Eustatius, which is legally mandated by the Island Government to manage all the island’s protected areas (the National Marine Park and the Quill/Boven National Park) as well as a young Botanical Garden on the 21km2 island of St Eustatius.
You will be developing content and materials geared towards educating the public of St. Eustatius on nature, its ecosystem services and their role as a community in protecting it. The activities include face to face opportunities mostly with children, sometimes adults and the elderly.
General Duties: Assist with…
- Conducting case studies and awareness campaigns with social science tools
- The creation of youth activities or STENAPA Lesson Plans – may include art and craft, research or graphic design
- Conducting lessons plans in primary and high school, after school programs and STENAPA youth programs
- The maintenance of the website/contribute blog material
- Documenting the tasks of the rangers for social media and newsletters
- Collection of nature content within the national parks – may include hiking or snorkeling
- Creation of radio content/communication plan
- other projects and activities
Travel & Accommodation
Our primary location is a central, two-bedroom house. The monthly rent is $300. A deposit of $300 is also required.
Our secondary location is the Caribbean Netherlands Science Institute (CNSI) dorms. Rent varies with the room.
- Min age: 18
- Minimum commitment is 2 months
- Good English skills
- Able to communicate to people of different nationalities
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to work as a team but also able to work independently
- Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license (manual driven preferred)
- Willing, enthusiastic and proactive Interested in nature conservation and awareness
- Good communicator, service oriented, enthusiastic, wants to get things done
- Well-rounded grasp of both marine and terrestrial ecosystems and management
Added skills or training to highlight
- Social science courses regarding behavioural change
- Experience creating lesson plans and materials
- Experience creating video content
- Experience on a radio program (1 session to running a program)
- Experience making and maintaining a website, page/group for an organization, business or group
- Experience conducting a campaign, organizing events – shows, lectures, games, and so on
- Experience composing letters, invitations, and certificates on behalf of the organizations
- Communicating scientific concepts to the general public
- Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Illustrator, Photoshop
Places are confirmed with a $250 placement fee. You will also need to cover the costs of your food and accommodation during your stay
Accommodation in shared house, utility bills, internet, and airport pick up / drop off. The fee is paid upfront..
What’s not included:
Food (grocery runs are included during quarantine), flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations (if applicable). Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
You should budget a minimum of $400 per month for food.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organize for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organized with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate