Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Duration: Minimum 3 months extendable
Start Dates: Project is ongoing, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
Cost: $ 490 one-off placement fee – please see Costs section for further details.
- Learning opportunity in how a locally rooted not for profit organization handles the complex issues surrounding education of minors living in a disadvantaged environment a developing country
- Expanding your professional skills in an international context, honing your super visioning , operations management and people’s management skills
- Going beyond your comfort zone – You will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues and how you can personally influence positive change in the lives of Cambodian people.
- Becoming a world citizen – You will live and work in a World Heritage town
- Ideal for individuals with experience in running a range of operations, with professional background in business, international development, education and not for profit management.
Cambodia has had a challenging and dark history, and continues to be one of the poorest countries in the world. Long-term development remains an ongoing problem, with serious skill shortages affecting over two million people, who live on less than $2 per day. Our aim is to match the appropriately skilled volunteer with the right local Cambodian project. By doing we can make a more sustainable longer-term impact.
We are a Boarding School Residence in the city of Siem Reap, Cambodia looking for a responsible, dynamic and resourceful Volunteer School Operations Manager to oversee, coordinate and supervise the daily operations of our school. This is a unique opportunity to work with 21 Cambodian teenager students, 2 local staff and teachers, occasional expat volunteers, 2 lovely dogs and be in charge of the well-being and safety of all people living and working at the school facilities.
Founded in 2014, our organization is a grassroots, USA registered, non-profit education program focused on educating less-fortunate children from the Kulen Mountain, a rural area 45 minutes’ drive from Siem Reap, Cambodia. We offer free boarding school facilities to selected Cambodian students who have graduated from our two countryside primary schools and are continuing their education at the public secondary school in the City and are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students.
Your will take care and supervise the daily operations of our Boarding School facility, which is housing 21 Cambodian teenager students, 2 local staff and teachers, occasional expat volunteers and 2 lovely dogs! You will ensure all our people live peacefully in a safe, secure and nurturing environment. From time to time, it will also require coordinating transportation, overseeing events and helping students with their studies.
- Onsite Facility Supervision
Oversee the daily operations of the boarding school. This primarily involves ensuring the security and safety on the premise. It will also require overseeing and delegating tasks to keep the school clean, functional and suitable for the students to live at. You will help administer finances for repairs, maintenance, student needs and any other bills the school incurs. You will also be responsible for a simple monthly submission of a monthly expenditure record.
- Student Supervision
While most of our students are self-sufficient, from time-to-time, the position will require overseeing the well-being of the students. Duties include supervision of boarders’ personal hygiene, reporting any cases of illness to the Program Manager, ensuring that any medication required by a boarder is recorded and dispensed appropriately, checking the facility before retiring for the night, and monitoring the whereabouts and activities of students.
- Volunteer Coordination
We have a small volunteer program where at various times we have 1-3 short term volunteers for 3-5 week periods. Working with the Program Manager, you will help ensure their stay is comfortable at the school in Siem Reap, supervise them during their stay and help them get involved in our program.
- Donor Visits
We also have prospect or actual donors visiting our school from time to time. Your will also require short tours of the school by interested parties.
Your typical working hours will be from 08.00 to 05.00, from Monday to Friday, with a two-hour lunch break. However, we would ask for the flexibility to be on call 24/7, in case of unplanned emergencies.
Travel & Accommodation
You can book a tuk tuk yourself directly at the Siem Reap airport – the booking center is located at the arrival exit, at a fix cost (today is $8). The airport is just fifteen minutes drive to Siem Reap City Center.
Accommodation with us is optional. If you choose to stay in our accommodation, you will be living in a studio room with a double bed and private bathroom with shower, A/C and Wifi included.
If you opt to find your own accommodation, we will help you to find somewhere nearby to stay. Prices are approximately $5-8 per day for a hostel ; $10 per day for a basic room ; $15-20 per day for a nice room with A/C, Wifi , swimming pool; 30$ per day for a one bedroom apartment. You can easily find the right accommodation option for you dependant upon your budget.
- Minimum age is 24 years old
- At least 3 years work experience relevant to the volunteer project (e.g. operations manager, health & safety manager). Former experience as educator, teacher or boarding school manager is a plus.
- You need to speak English (fluently)
- You need to be educated to degree level or equivalent those without a degree and with relevant experience and expertise may also apply
- Volunteers from all over the world are welcome.
- International driving license and/or ability to drive a scooter preferable
- Criminal record check that proof you have no former issues dealing with minors
- References from at least 2 previous employers and an updated CV
- Photocopy of qualifications
- Necessary vaccinations, flights & visas
$490 USD one-off Placement Fee.
* Full placement fee required as deposit.
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
*** Check xe.com for the latest currency conversions
- Help you find the right organization – We only work with organizations that have a clear mission statement, are socially conscious, ethical in their practices and making a positive impact within the Cambodian community.
- Match your skills with the right project – We ensure your professional background, expertise and personal expectations are properly matched with the right project, to ensure you have a meaningful and responsible volunteer experience.
- Assist you in getting ready – We will coordinate the drafting and signature of a Volunteer Project Scope of Work prior to your departure, to ensure method of work, goals, outcomes and, overall, your volunteer experience is meaningful and aligned with your expectations.
- Pre-departure check-list – We will provide you a list of things to do and bring in your luggage prior to your departure.
- Pick you up at Siem Reap Airport – We will pick you up at the airport upon your arrival and bring you to our accommodation.
- Welcome you on onboard – We’ll offer a cultural induction and orientation tour to help you settle in.
- Reference letter – At the completion of your volunteering, we will provide you with a valuable reference to showcase your professional impact whilst here in Cambodia.
What’s not included:
You will need to cover the cost on your own on flights, insurance, vaccinations, visa, Accommodation and Food (see Accommodation section above for further details).
Full assistance will be provided in getting everything ready if you choose our Premium Support.
Optional – Accommodation included
In addition to what above highlighted, with additional $ 380/month we will also help you find and book for you an accommodation suitable to your needs and budget for the whole duration of your staying and prior to your arrival in Siem Reap.
You will be living in a studio room centrally located in Siem Reap town, furnished with western standards, A/C, single occupancy, double bed, private bathroom with Hot water and shower and a small kitchenette with fridge, pots and pans, Wi-fi included.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate