Location: Uvita, Costa Rica. Teaching placements available nationwide
Duration: 1-4 weeks commitment
Cost: from $1,215 USD Project Fee for the 1st week – see Costs tab for more information
Includes: 1 meal/daily, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- This volunteer project is very hands-on and is an opportunity to make a difference at a local animal rescue organization.
- Opportunities to educate local families about animal care and welfare
- Costa Rica offers amazing experiences such as surfing in the South Pacific coastal region, visiting Marino Ballena National Park, relaxing on the endless beaches, hiking to waterfalls, enjoying great healthy food
- Immerse yourself in Costa Rican culture at our locally-owned accommodation – just minutes walking to the beach
This volunteer project is very hands-on and is an opportunity to make a rapid difference at a local animal rescue organization dedicated to rescuing abandoned dogs and cats, and spaying and neutering
Goals are to rescue, rehabilitate, and find homes for stray, abandoned, and injured dogs and cats (plus reduce overpopulation by hosting low-cost spay and neuter clinics throughout the region. You can expect to get involved in the following;
- Shelter volunteers to walk dogs and snuggle kittens
- Adoption and foster programs
- Education programs in both schools and the community at large
- Fundraising, donation programs, event coordination, and grant writing
- Community outreach and assistance
- Social media (Facebook and Instagram) and website maintenance
- Marketing and communications
- Spay and neuter clinics or vaccination programs
This project is led by our local in-country coordinator with over 10 years experience in Costa Rica.
While no previous experience is required for this project, physical fitness and flexibility are beneficial.
This program is hands-on and an incredible opportunity to make a rapid difference during your time in Costa Rica. As a volunteer, you do not need to have any prior experience, you will receive training.
To date, we have:
- Rescued over 250 homeless, abandoned, and injured dogs and cats, including providing veterinary care, vaccinations, spay and neuter surgeries, and caring for them until they are adopted
- Spayed and neutered almost 1,000 animals at low-cost community spay and neuter events
- Provided ongoing care for the 35-50 animals that are at the shelter and in foster care at any given time
- Helped dozens of local families in need with emergency assistance for their pets and animals they have rescued through our community outreach program
- Presented animal welfare educational programs for numerous local schools and youth programs throughout the region
Travel & Accommodation
You will be living in a local eco-friendly hotel in a shared accommodation. You will have a shared (same gender) room.
There is clean drinking water and running water available for showers.
Breakfast Included: typical Costa Rican gallo pinto, toast, and eggs as well as pastries and pancakes on some days.
Breakfast is prepared by the hotel. Vegetarians, vegans, and gluten-free are easily catered for.
- Minimum age 18
- Be a keen and enthusiastic animal lover
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 1 week commitment
- Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Fluent English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
* 20% deposit required to confirm your place. The balance will be due 4 weeks prior to your departure.
** For the latest currency conversions, go to xe.com.
*** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
Project Fee includes:
- 24-hour emergency phone
- 24-hour in-country support
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Airport pick-up
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- Long-term experienced staff
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- Breakfast daily while on project
- Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
- Welcome Orientation Meeting
What’s Not included
- Additional meals, drinks, and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate