Location: Kyparissia Bay, Greece
Duration: 2-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Project starts on a Saturday with set start dates throughout the year. Check with us when applying.
Cost: from £1,295 for 2 weeks. Check the Costs tab for further information.
Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Gain real hands on experience on Sea turtle conservation in one of the most important nesting areas for loggerhead turtles in the Mediterranean region
- Get to know the sea turtle protection challenges in this side of the Mediterranean area and how it links to the European Union protection protocols
- Be part of a passionate team and make the difference by going out every day (night and day) performing different roles while living in an astonishing Greek beach
- Help train and educate, tourists and local residents on sea turtle protection.
- Seeing turtles lay their eggs and watching the hatchlings head for the sea;
- Take your first steps towards your career in conservation and making a lasting contribution to the preservation of endangered turtles
Travel to Greece and join this volunteer project based in the beautiful Kyparissia Bay. Get involved with conserving and protecting one of the most important loggerhead turtle nesting areas in Greece.
Daily, you will be surveying the nesting activity of female turtles as the turtles come out to nest during the night. Once a nest has been located you will have the task of protecting it from predation and flooding by the rising ocean tides. From these activities, volunteers will be able to provide vital conservation information in workshops to international visitors and the local community members.
This program aims to safeguard the sea turtles and their breeding sites on the coast of Greece. In so doing we can create awareness in the local community and increase their protection.
This allows us to offer support to our local partner, assist in the conservation of these endangered sea turtles, and to address many of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, such as #14 – Life Below Water, #15 – Life On Land, #17- Partnerships For Goals and #11 – Sustainable Cities And Communities.
This project aims at making a real contribution to the conservation and protection of one of the most important loggerhead turtle nesting areas in the region. The project activities are offered in conjunction with our local partners to ensure you receive all the necessary training to meet the project’s objectives as well as providing opportunities for you to explore the fascinating Greek culture and sights of the surrounding area in your free time.
Activities will include:
- Patrolling the beach to locate new tracks and nests
- Recording data and measurements
- Installing protective nest grids
- Nest relocation (if required)
- Nest excavation (from August onwards)
- Bamboo harvesting – assembling nest grids
- Manning beach kiosk – educating the public about the project
- Public awareness presentations
Travel & Accom.
Accommodation is in shared tents, same sex, with shared (single sex) bathroom facilities within the camp site. There is running cold and hot water available for cooking and cool water taps for drinking only. Flush toilet facilities (shared, single sex) are available at the campsite, and participants share camp duties, including cleaning, cooking and other chores.
Food will be cooked as a shared chore by all the participants in the camp site and it is a combination of healthy and varied Mediterranean local products
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
Project Fee includes;
- 24-hour emergency phone
- 24-hour in-country support
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Airport pick-up (unless otherwise stated)
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- Location orientation
- Long term experienced staff
- Meals while on project
- Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
- Welcome meeting
What’s not included:
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- Airport transfers (pick up and drop off)
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate