Location: Luang Prabang, Laos
Duration: 2-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Project starts on a Saturday with set start dates throughout the year. Check with us when applying.
Cost: from £1,345 for 2 weeks. Check the Costs tab for further information.
Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Teach English to Buddhist Novice Monks and local Lay students, both children and young adults
- Enabling local community members & Novice Monks to increase their future employment opportunities and improving the quality of life for themselves, their families and communities
- The tourism industry is growing rapidly which provides many locals with new career opportunities however, English language skills are an important requirement for accessing these jobs.
- Have a direct impact on increasing quality and access to education
- Visit local sites such as the Mekong river, beautiful waterfalls and breath-taking mountains in your free time
Laos is rapidly becoming a popular Southeast Asian destination among international visitors. As a result the tourism industry is a growing, this provides many locals with new career opportunities. However, English language skills are an important requirement for accessing these jobs.
Many of the population live in rural areas and economic limitations, limited infrastructure, and deep-rooted cultural values, restrict access to education for many. Boys from rural villages travel to cities such as the capital of Luang Prabang in search of a good education by joining the temples and becoming novice monks. Temples do not accept girls, so women are further restricted from accessing employment opportunities through entrenched gender roles.
Our program in Laos assists the socio-economic development of the country by supporting English language learning at temple schools and other local educational institutions in the capital of Luang Prabang. We assist local teachers, novice monks, lay students, including both children and young adults, and run a program that focuses specifically on providing further educational support for young girls and women.
This program contributes to local conservation of this area and globally to Sustainable Development Goals #4 Quality Education, #5 Gender Equality and #10, Reduced Inequalities, as set by the United Nations.
The main focus of this program will be to improve quality & access to education for local community members as well as Novice Buddhist Monks in Laos. As a volunteer you will be teaching English classes to increase knowledge of the English language which increases future employment & academic opportunities.
Activities will include:
- Assist local teachers, novice monks, lay students, including both children and young adults by providing English classes
- Volunteers Teaching on the Novice program will have at least one Novice class, and one or more class with local lay students.
- You will plan and deliver English lessons to a range of student groups at local temple schools as well as educational institutions
- Project work is 5 days a week from Monday to Friday, you will be teaching 2-4 hours a day.
- No experience is required, all training is provided in field which includes an introduction to TEFL
Travel & Accom.
The accommodation is at a local guesthouse. There are 2 volunteers per room with attached bathroom. The bathrooms have running hot and cold water available for showering and western style toilets. Rooms get cleaned once per week and there is a laundry service available at an extra cost. Each room has a TV and a Fan with free Wi-Fi. The Room also have air conditioning that can be used at an extra cost.It is a 5 minute walk to the main office/teaching location and a 30 minute walk into town. Upgraded & Private accomodation available at additional cost
Volunteers will be offered 3 meals a day at a restaurant near the guesthouse. Breakfast may include eggs, bread, pancakes or fruit salad. For Lunch and dinner, volunteers can choose from a variety of local and westerns dishes on the menu (vegetarian options available). As well as the provided meals, Luang Prabang has plenty of local and western restaurants that volunteers are welcome to eat at, at their own expense.
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
Project Fee includes;
- 24-hour emergency phone
- 24-hour in-country support
- A shared room in guesthouse accommodation in the ancient city Luang Prabang
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Airport pick-up (unless otherwise stated)
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- Location orientation
- Long term experienced staff
- Meals while on project
- Orientation on teaching methods and techniques, language, culture and religion
- Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
- The rare opportunity to work closely with novice monks in a temple school
- Welcome meeting
What’s not included:
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate