Location: Luang Prabang, Laos
Duration: 1-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Weekly project starts on a Saturday.
Price: from £1,595 for 1 week. Check the Prices tab for further information.
- Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, pre-departure orientation & training and all project related activities
- Does not include: Flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Teach Buddhist novice monks and other students in Luang Prabang.
- Learn about Theravada Buddhist practices.
- Immerse yourself in the many diverse cultures of Laos.
- Visit the Pak Ou caves, a sacred Buddhist site.
- Swim in the crystal clear cascading pools of the Kuang Si Waterfalls.
- Have a direct impact on increasing quality and access to education
- Visit local sites such as the Mekong river, beautiful waterfalls and breath-taking mountains in your free time
Laos is rapidly becoming a popular Southeast Asian destination among international visitors. As a result the tourism industry is growing, this provides many locals with new career opportunities. However, English language skills are an important requirement for accessing these jobs.
Many of the population live in rural areas and economic limitations, limited infrastructure, and deep-rooted cultural values, restrict access to education for many. Boys from rural villages travel to cities such as the capital of Luang Prabang in search of a good education by joining the temples and becoming novice monks. Temples do not accept girls, so women are further restricted from accessing employment opportunities through entrenched gender roles.
Our program in Laos assists the socio-economic development of the country by supporting English language learning at temple schools and other local educational institutions in the capital of Luang Prabang. This program contributes to local empowerment of this area and globally to Sustainable Development Goals #4 Quality Education, #5 Gender Equality and #10, Reduced Inequalities, as set by the United Nations.
The main focus of this program will be to improve quality & access to education for local community members as well as Novice Buddhist Monks in Laos. As a volunteer you will be teaching English classes to increase knowledge of the English language which increases future employment & academic opportunities.
Activities will include:
- Assist local teachers, novice monks, lay students, including both children and young adults by providing English classes
- Volunteers Teaching on the Novice program will have at least one Novice class, and one or more classes with local lay students and community members
- You will plan and deliver English lessons with support of experienced local staff members to a range of student groups at local temple schools as well as educational institutions
- Project work is 5 days a week from Monday to Friday, you will be teaching 2-4 hours a day.
- No experience is required, all training is provided and will include an introduction to TEFL
Travel & Accommodation
Accommodation & Food:
Ata local guesthouse, there are 2 volunteers per room with an attached bathroom. .It is a 5 minute walk to the main office/teaching location and a 30 minute walk into town. Upgraded & Private accomodation available at additional cost
Volunteers will be offered 3 meals a day at a restaurant near the guesthouse. As well as the provided meals, Luang Prabang has plenty of local and western restaurants that volunteers are welcome to eat at, at their own expense.
Health & Hygiene:
The work we contribute to across the globe remains important and new measures allow our participants to continue to join our programs and continue impacting positively on their world and the communities we work with. Changes to our existing protocols have been made by our health and hygiene team to strengthen our health and hygiene protocols and ensure that international standard safeguards are in place to protect our participants, staff and host communities. Please inquire for more information on the protocols.
Local field staff are a great source of information for sightseeing activities. Weekends are free for you to explore the beautiful sights of Laos, the possibilities are endless!
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 1 week commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
- 1 week – £1,595
- 2 weeks – £1,795
- 3 weeks – £2,045
- 4 weeks – £2,245
- 5 weeks – £2,445
- 6 weeks – £2,695
- 7 weeks – £2,895
- 8 weeks – £3,145
- 9 weeks – £3,395
- 10 weeks – £3,595
- 11 weeks – £3,845
- 12 weeks – £4,045
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
Project Fee includes;
- 24-hour emergency phone
- 24-hour in-country support
- A shared room in guesthouse accommodation in the ancient city Luang Prabang
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Airport pick-up (unless otherwise stated)
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- Location orientation
- Long term experienced staff
- Meals while on project
- Online program training before program start date:
- Pre Departure Orientation (1 Hour)
- Program Specific Training (1-5 Hours)
- OPTIONAL: Community Development Online Course (10 – 15 Hours)
- In-country support
- All project activities.
What’s not included:
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate