- Since Mid November 2021, the Government of Cambodia has slowly started to reopen the country to tourism.
- However, traveling to Cambodia is still pretty troublesome, particularly with regards to getting a visa prior to departure and to complying with Covid vaccination requirements necessary to enter the country. There are very few flights to Phnom Penh or Siem Reap and they are still quite expensive.
- For all these reasons, we have decided to still keep on hold ALL our in-country volunteer projects and internships for the time being.
- We will open up applications and resume our interviews for volunteering projects on the field possibly towards March 2022.
- Thank you for your patience.
HAVE YOU CONSIDERED ONLINE VOLUNTEERING?
- In the meantime, there’s a whole lot of good that you can do through online volunteering!
- Volunteering online lets you donate your virtual time and skills to a cause in Cambodia whilst at home, which means you can make a difference even if you can’t go physically volunteer somewhere.
- Time commitment: Average of 80 hours over 3 months time, flexible working days and hours.
- If you are interested in the opportunity of a virtual volunteer project, you can still submit your application and upload your CV.
- We are particularly looking for Digital Communication & Graphic Design, WordPress Developers, Online Content Writing, and Digital Marketing professionals.
- Luisa, our local partner in Cambodia, will help you find the right match and connect you with an ethical organization in Cambodia dedicated to a cause that matters to you.
- Upon a successful match, you will be asked to contribute with a one-off project fee ( 15USD).
ON THE FIELD VOLUNTEERING -STARTING JANUARY 2022 -TENTATIVE
Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Duration: Minimum 3 months, extendable
Type: Unpaid volunteer project
Cost: $ 490 one-off placement fee – please see Costs section below for further details.
- Learning opportunity in how a locally rooted not for profit organization in developing country handles the complex issues of supporting beneficiaries living in a disadvantaged environment
- Expanding your professional skills in an international context, practicing your skills and learning new ones. You will more than likely get exposure to different ways of doing things as in project management, conflict resolution, problem solving, cultural diversity.
- Going beyond your comfort zone – You will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues and how you can personally influence positive change in the lives of Cambodian people.
- Becoming a world citizen – You will live and work in a World Heritage town
- Making an impact – As a professional, your volunteer contribution and skill sharing will assist the organisation to implement innovative solutions to local development challenges here in Cambodia. You will experience the satisfaction of contributing to an organization that positively affects the lives of local people and communities
- Previous projects have included: Business Analyst, Graphic Designer, Sales and Marketing , Nutritionist, Communications and Social Media, WordPress design, amongst many others.
Cambodia has one of the fastest growing economies in Asia with growth averaging 6 percent over the last decade and yet it still remains one of the poorest countries in the world. Long-term development remains a daunting challenge with over 2 million people living on less than $2 per day. Cambodia also suffers from a shortage of skilled qualified workers.
Professional Volunteers like you are a great, still mostly untapped resource for tackling this challenge in a sustainable way. Thank you to your professional skills and expertise you will be able to assists local not for profit organizations in addressing their long-term needs and build capacity of their own local staff. For example, an HR professional you could help an organization build an employee handbook, a professional accountant could re-organize budget and expenses.
It is not just the completion of a project. As a Professional Volunteer you can also share your skills and competences onto with the organisation’s staff and help develop and increase their knowledge, so there can be a lasting impact on the staff and beneficiaries.
The Professional Volunteer project will place you with a legally registered Cambodian Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO ) based in Siem Reap province, guided according to Cambodian laws, honoring and respecting the Cambodian culture and its religion. We therefore expect the same from you as a volunteer.
As part of the NGO team, you will be typically reporting directly to the Managing Director , or an equally senior employee, as well as working with the local team and other volunteers. You will be able to work within a friendly, open and informal environment.
Working hours are from 08.00AM until 05.00PM, 5 days a week from Monday to Friday. You will be based out of the NGO offices in Siem Reap town and, occasionally, you may be required to visit the local rural communities.
It is also important to remember you are working with a grassroot organization with many daily operations, both large and small. As such, this role calls for a high measure of self-direction, motivation as well as a good dose of humility and respect.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We are seeking a broad range of professionals willing to volunteer their expertise and skills across multiple areas – communication, marketing, reporting , accounting and management. Please carefully read the following project descriptions below and find a fit between your experience and expectations and the needs in the field.
We are seeking a range of professionals able to help us increase awareness and develop an enviable NGO stakeholder’s engagement by designing an effective communication strategy and plan across multiple channels (e.g. social media, website) with a background in any of these areas :
- Communication professional (Content writer, proof reading and copyrighting; Researching and writing articles for brochures, newsletters, web sites)
- Social Media facilitator (publish post and facilitate online chats or newsgroup)
- Graphic Designer
- Web master, Web designer, Web editor, Word press expert
- Videographer, Photographer, Video Editor, Photo editor
Marketing is an essential piece to ensuring the NGO has a steady income of funds and revenues to sustain the organizations and benefit the community. We are seeking professional able to assist in developing methods for attracting new individual and corporate donors and retain and further engage the existing ones. Please apply if you have a background in any of these areas:
- Fundraising, Grant Writing
- Business Development
- Corporate partnership
- Digital Marketing (SEO , SMO , Google Ad expert)
- Data analysis and customer/donor insight
- CRM expert (ie. Sales Force)
Collating data of local capabilities, demographics and projects for the organization and using it to produce accurate and consistent reports is instrumental to evaluate progress and impact versus the organization efforts for the benefits of the Board, Stakeholders and Donors. We are searching for experts on
- Reporting ( Annual Report, Donor’s report , Performance Report)
- Evaluation and assessment
The goal is to contribute to the overall efficient operation of the accounting department and help the organization to maintain order and transparency for the company’s finances and be fully aware of its financial condition. We are looking for experts in the following areas
- Book Keeping (e.g. Quickbooks)
- Budget Review
- Financial Audit
- Yearly Financial Report
Professional consulting expertise (5 years+ experience) are also needed on special projects regarding human resources, legal issues or management.
Travel & Accommodation
You can book a tuk tuk yourself directly at the Siem Reap airport – the booking center is located at the arrival exit, at a fix cost (today is $8). The airport is just fifteen minutes drive to Siem Reap City Center.
You can also fly into Phnom Penh airport and get a public bus, which will take around 7 hours.
No matter what your budget is, Siem Reap is full of places waiting to welcome you. Prices are approximately $5-10 per day for a hostel ; $15-20 per day for a nice room with A/C, Wifi and swimming pool; 30$ per day for a one bedroom apartment. Please note that accommodation costs may increase during the High Season (November- February).
You should budget approximately $10 per day for food.
This volunteer project is specifically designed for independent , self- reliable and with spirit of adventure qualified professionals or university students whose priority is to experience an exclusive volunteer project tailored to their skills and background with selected and vetted socially conscious organizations in Cambodia.
You will be matched with a sustainable and meaningful volunteer project thanks to which you will be able to put all your knowledge and expertise at the service of a good cause, while gaining a professional experience by volunteering for a non- profit organization or social enterprise in a developing country.
- We require 2 years previous experience or expertise for the position you are going to apply
- Minimum 3-month commitment. We are proud to be working with sustainable and responsible projects where volunteers can make a real impact. Volunteering for only a couple of days will unfortunately not achieve the level of impact we envision for the organization or in the communities they serve. In some cases, short-term volunteering may disrupt the schedule and objectives of the project.
- Strong working and personal ethics.
- Self-Motivation, Independence and confidence,
- Resourcefulness, ability to work in a team environment,
- Flexibility and spirit of adaptation. Sense of humor does help !
- Good spoken English language skills.
- Travel & Medical insurance
- References from at least 1 previous employer
- Criminal record check (Only if your project requires you to directly deal with minors)
$490 USD one-off Placement Fee.
* Full placement fee required as deposit.
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
*** Check xe.com for the latest currency conversions
- Help you find the right organization – We only work with organizations that have a clear mission statement, are socially conscious, ethical in their practices and making a positive impact within the Cambodian community.
- Match your skills with the right project – We ensure your professional background, expertise and personal expectations are properly matched with the right project, to ensure you have a meaningful and responsible volunteer experience.
- Assist you in getting ready – We will coordinate the drafting and signature of a Volunteer Project Scope of Work prior to your departure, to ensure method of work, goals, outcomes and, overall, your volunteer experience is meaningful and aligned with your expectations.
- Pre-departure check-list – We will provide you a list of things to do and bring in your luggage prior to your departure.
- Pick you up at Siem Reap Airport – We will pick you up at the airport upon your arrival and bring you to our accommodation.
- Welcome you on onboard – We’ll offer a cultural induction and orientation tour to help you settle in.
- Reference letter – At the completion of your volunteering, we will provide you with a valuable reference to showcase your professional impact whilst here in Cambodia.
What’s not included:
You will need to cover the cost on your own on flights, insurance, vaccinations, visa, Accommodation and Food.
You can watch this clip here to learn more how to budget for your volunteer experience in Cambodia
Full assistance will be provided in getting everything ready if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate