Location: South Africa
Duration: Minimum 4 weeks, maximum 12 weeks
Start Dates: Start dates are each month, enquire with us when applying.
Cost: $1,800 USD per month. See Costs section for more details.
Includes: accommodation, airport pickup & drop-off, orientation, all project related travel
Does not Include: Catering, flights, travel & medical insurance, visas and vaccinations
- The internship is aimed at assisting in the development of aspiring television and online broadcasters with intense real life training in producing a daily streaming production of three hours. In addition, interns will be able to gain skills in working with and filming underwater with great white sharks.
The team of Sharkslive consist of some of the worlds top shark scientists, wranglers, film-makers and conservationists. Join the Sharkslive team as a intern on the production crew to immerse yourselves in bringing the Sharkslive daily production to life. Broadcasting to 1000’s of online shark fans throughout the world.
Sharkslive is seeking interns to assist in running our daily shark expedition broadcasts. As an intern you will receive extensive training in producing live productions and working with and filming great white sharks. Our team works daily from three locations, including the shark expedition, the broadcast studio and control room, and our roving production team that follows the daily work of the shark scientist and students. As a Sharkslive intern you will be assigned daily to one of these teams and turn the daily shark adventures into live streaming entertainment and education for our online audience.
This internship program is by application, and we do request that applying interns have some experience in the use of consumer – prosumer video equipment, be comfortable at sea, and be able to contribute for a minimum period of 1 month.
a. You do not need to take antimalarials or special vaccines
Daily work is variable depending on the number and time of shark diving expeditions. Typically the teams call time will be 90 minutes prior to broadcast launch. At that time you will split and move into your designated role on the production. After production has finished, afternoons will be spent maintaining equipment, archiving footage, editing videos, sourcing stories, preparing guests, and preparing for the next expedition.
Travel & Accommodation
You will board with fellow students and interns in Mossel Bay.
- We do require that applicants have some knowledge of videography and that they are comfortable on a computer.
- Minimum 4 weeks commitment
- Minimum age 18
- Be able to communicate in English
- Be open minded, patient, adaptable and willing to embrace the challenges of the project
- Have a positive attitude towards living and working in a team
- Good mental and physical health – an appropriate level of fitness
- Necessary flights & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance – full assistance will be providing in arranging everything should you choose our Premium Support Upgrade.
The cost is $1,800 USD per month.
*$750 deposit to confirm your place (non-refundable)
**All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** For the latest currency conversions, check out xe.com
- All program expeditions including ecotourism trips and research trips
- Accommodation: the rooms will be shared with other students (genders will be separated) from the 1st (arrival day) to the 28th (departure day).
- Transfer from airport to your residence when you arrive, and again back to the Airport upon departure
- Hard and soft SCUBA / snorkeling equipment
- SCUBA airfills
- Internet fees (moderate usage)
What’s Not Included
- Catering (Internship is self-catering)
- Laptop computer (please bring your own)
- Laundry service
- Non-program excursions
- All Flights, Travel Insurance and Vaccinations
- Recreational SCUBA diving
- Staff Tips
- Private accommodation (available upon request)
Depending on your habits and lifestyle, it is usually suggested to add between 4,000 and 6,000 South African Rand (approx. $300-500 USD) to your monthly budget. This would be for souvenirs, excursions, entertainment and other personal daily needs. A PADI Openwater diver course will cost USD500. Due to the number of applications received and limited places, the owners unfortunately cannot accept all applying interns. Therefore, they do not welcome cancellations or date changes after the final confirmation and deposit has been paid. They request that a non-refundable USD750 deposit is paid within a week of booking into the internship as confirmation (foreign and local bank fees are for your own account). The remaining fee must be paid in full a month prior to your arrival in South Africa. In case of cancellation, they will attempt to move you to a preferred month that you are able to attend, however, they cannot offer refunds on deposits. If you would like to stay with us outside of the program dates (1st to the 28th) then they ask R600/day to cover food and accommodation.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate