Location: starting in Koh Phangan, Thailand.
Duration: Minimum 6 months
Start Dates: Project is ongoing, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
Cost: £4995 for 6 months placement- see ‘Costs’ tab for further details
- Work for an established travel company and gain experience of running tours, office management, creating new tours and many other aspects of working in this industry.
- Opportunity to work and travel throughout South East Asia, including Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines.
- Good possibility to gain a paid position after completion of the internship.
We run epic group tours for backpackers of all ages, with the majority of our customers in the 18-35 year age range. We offer the full package from the moment our customers land in South East Asia – all transportation, accommodation, and activities are included and our awesome group leaders are there to make sure everyone on the tour has the time of their lives. Our tours show our customers the best the country has to offer with a perfect mix of culture, adventure, nature, and nightlife.
Our company was born in August 2012 – founded on the dream of a backpacker travel company that would deliver the industry’s best tours while simultaneously becoming a force for good. The first tour kicked off in January 2013 and after six years of hard work and hundreds of successful tours, we now operate over a dozen epic backpacker tours in five countries: Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines. We do what we do because we love to travel and we love to meet new people and share our experiences with them.
Our number one goal is to give people the time of their lives – an unforgettable trip that they will always remember as some of the best weeks of their life. We do what we love whilst meeting new people, guiding and educating them on the safest, most ethical and sustainable ways to travel. We strive to use our business as a force for good that leverages the travel industries huge potential to alter perspectives and address issues of inequality, business ethics, social and environmental responsibility.
Our team is like family, much more than just a group of colleagues. Everyone who works with us has been carefully selected because of their awesomeness and the fact that they care as much as the rest of us. Whoever joins us will become part of this family and will have the opportunity to become a part of this story as well.
This internship is a hands-on group leader role for interns interested in learning more about the operations of a tour company and running of a group. Interns will have the opportunity to work in 2-3 countries over 6 months (with potential for job offer based on performance), where they would receive on-group training and learn about running a flawless tour from start to finish, as well as some of the behind the scenes operational aspects such as getting reviews, doing expenses for tours, and making sales.
The first 2 months would be in Thailand where interns will receive both in-office training by management and on-tour training by experienced guides. The goal is by the end of the 60 day probationary period for interns to be comfortable running a tour on their own (even though they will always have an experienced guide with them). After completing training and their trial period, they would have the opportunity to head to another country to learn operations there – location depending on availability and preference.
Job responsibilities would include:
- Contacting suppliers to arrange pick-ups, transfers, room arrangements, etc
- Leading and participating in group activities
- Going out with the group / showing them a good time in the evenings while on tour
- Sending out introduction email and arranging airport pick-ups
- Taking photos and uploading them to Google Drive post tour
- Tagging groups in monthly albums posted on TruTravels Facebook
- Collecting post-tour feedback and entering reviews on TourRadar
- Managing expenses while on tour and accounting for them post tour
Travel & Accom.
You will need to get to Koh Phangan from either Bangkok or Koh Samui International Airports. Easy to follow instructions will be given, it is a very well travelled and easy route to follow.
You will stay in accommodation provided by the project. You will share a room with up to 4 other interns or project staff. If you wish, there are many places to eat nearby and a nice meal can cost as low as £1 / $1.50.
- Studying tourism-related degree not necessary but preferred
- 6 month minimum stay
- Physical requirements – jungle trek, living out of hotels/hostels, must be active
- Visas: Ability to get at least tourist visa for countries.
- Sign contract that allows us to terminate internship at our discretion (for breaking any of the rules…sleeping with customers, getting too drunk, tarnishing our name, etc) We will have a review after a 60 day probationary period
- Must pass a thorough interview process
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flights & visas
£4,995 GBP for 6 months placement.
* Use xe.com for up to date currency conversion rates
** Deposit payment incurs a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Place is confirmed with a £500 deposit.
- Accommodation (on tour/off tour in all countries)
- Daily food allowance
- All transport
- Activities on tour
- Visa run costs
- Free tour at the end in a country you didn’t work in (shortest tour in each country).
What’s not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators. We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate