Start Dates: The project is ongoing, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability.
Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Duration: MINIMUM 3 MONTHS
Project type: Unpaid volunteer position
Cost: $200 Placement Fee, and you will also need to cover your travel & living costs. Read the Cost section.
We are a Cambodian charity with limited resources, particularly due to the global pandemic. Therefore we will reply and invite for a video interview ONLY those applicants that fit our needs. Thank you for being so understanding.
- Learning opportunity in how a locally rooted not-for-profit organization in a developing country handles the complex issues of supporting beneficiaries living in a disadvantaged environment
- Expanding your professional skills in an international context, practicing your skills, and learning new ones. You will more than likely get exposure to different ways of doing things as in project management, conflict resolution, problem-solving, and cultural diversity.
- Going beyond your comfort zone – You will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues, and how you can personally influence positive change in the lives of Cambodian people.
- Becoming a world citizen – You will live and work in a World Heritage town
- Making an impact – As a professional, your volunteer contribution and skill sharing will assist the organization in implementing innovative solutions to local development challenges here in Cambodia. You will experience the satisfaction of contributing to an organization that positively affects the lives of local people and communities.
Cambodia has one of the fastest-growing economies in Asia, with growth averaging 6 percent over the last decade. Yet, it remains one of the poorest countries in the world. Long-term development remains a daunting challenge, with over 2 million people living on less than $2 daily. Cambodia also suffers from a shortage of skilled, qualified workers.
Professional Volunteers like you are a great, still mostly untapped resource for sustainably tackling this challenge. Thanks to your professional skills and expertise, you will be able to assist local not-for-profit organizations in addressing their long-term needs and building the capacity of their local staff.
It is not just the completion of a project. As a Professional Volunteer, you can also share your skills and competencies onto with the organization’s staff and help develop and increase their knowledge, so there can be a lasting impact on the staff and beneficiaries.
Graphic designing skills are needed to help a not-for-profit children’s center in Siem Reap, Cambodia. The center needs a more professional portfolio of promotional, informational, and events materials, as the non-profit relies on fundraising to operate at full capacity, of which promotional materials are very important.
The Professional Volunteer project will place you with a legally registered Cambodian Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO ) based in Siem Reap province, guided according to Cambodian laws, honoring and respecting the Cambodian culture and its religion. We, therefore, expect the same from you as a volunteer.
As part of the NGO team, you will typically be reporting directly to a senior employee and working with the local team and other volunteers. You will be able to volunteer in a friendly, open, and informal environment.
Volunteering hours are from 08.00 AM until 05.00 PM, five days a week, from Monday to Friday. You will be based out of the NGO offices in Siem Reap town, and occasionally, you may be required to visit the local rural communities.
It is also important to remember you are working with a grassroots organization with many daily operations, both large and small. As such, this role calls for a high measure of self-direction and motivation and a good dose of humility and respect.
Your primary role and responsibility are to design and produce graphics, communications, and event materials that support the goals of the fundraising team and promote awareness of the charity’s performance and efforts.
Plan and design promotional materials, such as posters, cards, brochures, and social media, to raise the profile of the NGO. This may include providing mock-ups, drafts, and presentations of ideas.
They planned and designed the layout of crucial development department communications materials such as reports, newsletters, appreciation cards/letters, policies, information pages, etc. This may include providing mock-ups, drafts, and presentations of ideas.
Support the charity in managing its social media and other communication tasks.
At the end of the project period, we expect that you will have produced a range of easy-to-edit templates that will allow the charity to continue using your designs by tweaking/updating them so that they can be used for new/different audiences.
This will make working processes at the NGO much more efficient than at present, where graphic design has become increasingly important and problematic because we don’t have the skill set needed. You will have also passed some of their knowledge and experience to the Cambodian graphic designer and social media officer, enabling them to improve their skills and confidence.
Travel & Accommodation
You will need to organize and cover your travel & living costs
· We invite you to carefully read the travel recommendations to Cambodia issued by your Country and make an informed decision before embarking on your volunteer experience.
· Cambodia’s accommodations and living expenses have substantially changed over the past two years. Due to Covid, many low-cost hostels or restaurants have shut down, and other touristic facilities are no more available. Prices keep varying as Cambodia is still in the early stages of resuming its touristic activities.
· The Cambodian Government can change the entry Visa requirements without notice should a pandemic or similar severe issues occur.
Alternatively, you can use the experienced advice offered by the Premium Support Upgrade by GLOBAL NOMADIC. To know more, read the Cost section below.
This volunteer project is specifically designed for independent, self-reliable, and spirit of adventure-qualified professionals or university students whose priority is to experience an exclusive volunteer project tailored to their skills and background with selected and vetted socially conscious organizations in Cambodia.
- Minimum 3 months commitment. We are proud to be a sustainable and responsible project where volunteers can make a real impact. Volunteering for only a few days will unfortunately not achieve the level of impact we envision for the organization or the communities they serve. In some cases, short-term volunteering may disrupt the schedule and objectives of the project.
- Working experience in general graphic design.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office and design software such as InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong working and personal ethics.
- Self-Motivation, Independence, and confidence.
- Flexibility and spirit of adaptation. A sense of humor does help!
NICE TO HAVE·
Degree in graphic design
Good knowledge of HTML / WordPress
Cultural knowledge of South East Asia
- Travel & Medical insurance
- Necessary vaccinations
- References from at least one previous employer (Only if your project requires you to deal directly with minors)
- Criminal record check (Only if your project requires you to deal directly with minors)
$200 Placement fee (split $100 to the project + $100 for Global Nomadic) to be paid in full should you be selected, interviewed, and accepted in the volunteer project.
Notice: The placement fee will be refunded except in the case of extenuating circumstances, such as a medical condition that makes you unable to participate in the internship or other such emergencies. If you must reschedule your internship window for a later date, we will consider your Placement Fee paid.
What’s not included:
You will need to fully cover your travel & living costs. Flights, visas, vaccinations, insurance, accommodation, transportation, and food are not included. You should budget approximately USD 300 per month for accommodation, approximately $15 per day for food, and an average of $5 per day for transportation with a local tuk-tuk.
Global Nomadic Premium Support Upgrade:
Assistance will be provided in arranging travel and logistics if you choose Global Nomadic Premium Support. We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of Global Nomadic Project Coordinators. They can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency, ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate