Location: Training is is Siem Reap. You will then be offered placement assistance as a paid teacher at a choice of various locations in Cambodia.
Duration: Training lasts 4 weeks, 140 hours of TEFL training, including in-class training in local schools. Teaching placements are minimum 1 school year.
Cost: US$2070 for the 4 weeks course INCLUDING accommodation. See ‘Costs’ tab for further details
Salary: $900-1,500 USD per month depending on location and experience.
2021: 17 May, 14 June, 26 July, 23 August, 20 September, 1 November, 29 November
- Gain your TEFL Certificate in Cambodia, including classroom experience and certification.
- Internationally accredited certificate, respected and recognized across the world.
- Guaranteed placement assistance at the end of your training (native speakers only).
- Full assistance provided throughout your placement.
- International teaching experience working with adults and children.
- Keywords: paid placement, teaching, TEFL, education, work placement abroad.
You’ve taken the first step in an adventure that will change your life, as well as those of others! Teaching English as a foreign language is a rewarding experience, and a fulfilling way to discover another part of the world, as well as a new culture. Studying and working abroad is also a great achievement that you can proudly list on your CV/resumé. Cambodia is the ONLY country in SE Asia where you can legally work as a teacher without a degree, so if you don’t have a bachelor’s degree, this program is for you! Degree holders are welcome to apply too. (once the pandemic is over we are able to offer placement assistance to native English degree holders in Vietnam or Thailand)
You will get to intimately know the beautiful country of Cambodia, with its famous Angkor Wat temple and the Mighty Mekong River. Most of our jobs are located in the vibrant capital of Phnom Penh, and this is where our support base is.
The following areas/subjects are covered during your 4 weeks of TEFL / TESOL training:
- An introduction to South East Asian culture – to help your transition into the local classroom and community.
- Teaching techniques – we provide you with models to teach beginners as well as advanced students, young learners and adults
- Teaching the four skills of language: speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Planning a course for special purposes (such as for a business)
- Grammar – brushing up yours as a teacher, and techniques to teach grammar
- Creating materials for lessons
- Lesson planning
- Suitable activities for the language classroom
- Discipline in the classroom
- Building rapport with your students, including warmers and coolers in the classroom.
- Classroom management, covering all aspects
- Teaching one-to-one, as well as larger classes
- Teaching vocabulary
- Understanding problems for Asian learners (understanding the differences between their language and English) as well as for other key languages, such as Spanish and Russian.
- Error correction techniques
- Preparing your CV/resumé, and tips for the interview process
- Teaching business English
- Teaching practices and assignments:
- You will have the opportunity to conduct several full lessons (teacher practices). These are observed by a trainer, and detailed and constructive feedback is given to you after each lesson, to help you improve for your next lesson, and your career to follow. (You will get an opportunity to teach both young learners and adults). Our qualified trainers will assist you with the lesson planning process.
- Materials project: Here you will present the materials used for lessons, to the class.
- A journal entry assignment
- Various lesson planning and group work assignments
- Various tests and tasks over the 4-week course, covering grammar, punctuation and a few other aspects covered in class. We work with our teachers to adequately prepare them for these tests. All content of the tests is covered during the course.
There is no final examination that determines your pass grade. Your final course result is determined by the combined marks of the assignments above, as well as on your participation and teamwork in class, attendance and behaviour.
A grade of at least 70% is required in order to pass the course. More than 50% of this grade is made up of marks for teacher practices.
Trainees are awarded with their accredited certificate on passing the course. All graduates also receive a report, and those who obtain a distinction, are also presented with a personalised letter of reference.
Placement assistance is offered as per your selected program. Job placements will be subject to the time of the year & current in-country situation. We will endeavour to guide you through the complete placement process, submit your CV to our network of schools and equip you the skills required to ACE your interview with your potential employer.
Teaching placements are available in numerous locations all over Cambodia, including rural and urban areas. During your training, interviews with prospective employers will be held via Skype or phone. You can state your preference for location and school, however you will need to be flexible, as ultimately, it is up to each school to make the decision. Teachers with a university degree and previous experience may have greater choice in placements.
During your placement you should expect to work a normal 40-hour week, Monday to Friday, with approximately 20 hours of teaching. Teachers in Cambodia are accorded a great deal of respect and you will be expected to behave in a manner befitting this level of respect. You will need to dress and behave appropriately at all times. During your training course, you will be given tips and pointers how best to target your CV/resume to the market as well as interview preparation.
Salaries in Cambodia: average $900-1200 USD. Tax is 7-8% about $80/month. Free health care with a NSSF card supplied by most schools. 12 – 18 days paid leave per year plus all public holidays (22 public holidays)
paid. 6 paid sick days per year.
*The above salaries and benefits are based on averages with the schools we deal with. Each contract will differ according to the school.
Travel & Accom.
You will be met at Siem Reap airport by a project representative and brought to the training centre. (NOTE: During the pandemic, only Phnom Penh airport is open and you will be met by immigration to be taken to your quarantine hotel. After your 14 days of quarantine you will travel by bus or taxi to Siem Reap).
You will be staying in shared twin room accommodation. The rooms are spacious shared with a fellow teacher (double rooms available for couples – subject to availability). Each room has an en suite private bathroom, cupboard and small fridge. All rooms are air-conditioned and will be serviced once a week.
Should you prefer a private room, there is a surcharge from US$200 for the course period – and subject to availability. Breakfast is included in your package rate.
- Minimum age 20. (18 and 19 year olds will be considered on application) No upper age limit applies, though certain employers may impose this, especially if working with young children.
- Placement assistance is offered for native English speakers (UK, Ireland, US, Canada, Aus, NZ and SA).
- No University degree needed, although having one will give you more choice with regards to jobs.
- Willingness to dress and behave appropriately both in training and during your placement.
- Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Willingness to adhere to and respect local customs and traditions.
- Necessary vaccinations. (Subject to change, enquire when booking)
- Necessary flights & visas.
- Initial one month business visa 35USD. Then one year business visa (no border runs required) $300USD p/y. Sometimes paid for by the school, but not always so budget for this at $188 USD p/y. NOTE: During the pandemic, a pre-approved business visa is required, full visa assistance and documents provided on course confirmation.
- Full travel & medical insurance. Details to be provided on sign up.
Full 4 week course
US$2,070 Project Fee* including shared twin room accommodation, breakfast, culture tour
* Placements are secured through a non-refundable 30% deposit on the project fee.
** Currency conversions are approximate.
***All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
Depending on your background and previous experience as well as location of your teaching placement, you can expect to earn around $900 – $1200 per month.
- 4 weeks TEFL/TESOL course including practical training with real students
- Shared twin room accommodation (private option available see below)
- Daily breakfast
- Culture tour
- Basic Khmer language lesson
- Job placement assistance
- Airport collection from Siem Reap airport (note that during the pandemic only Phnom Penh airport is open so they will need to take a bus or taxi from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap)
What’s Not included:
Flights, visas, vaccinations, insurance, lunch and dinner, and domestic travel are not included. Full visa assistance will be provided on sign up.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate