Location: Bangkok, Thailand. Teaching placements available nationwide
Duration: Training lasts 4 weeks, 120 hours of TEFL training, including in-class training in local schools. Teaching placements are minimum 5 months (one Thai school term). 1-week courses available if you already have in-class TEFL certification.
Cost: $1,545 USD for 4 weeks course. See ‘Costs’ tab for further details
Salary: Approx. $1,300 USD per month depending on location and experience.
2022: 7 March, 18 April, 16 May, 13 June, 25 July, 22 August, 19 September, 31 October, 28 November.
- Gain your TEFL Certificate in the bustling Thai Capital, including classroom experience and certification.
- Internationally accredited certificate, respected and recognized across the world.
- Guaranteed paid placement at the end of your training (native speakers only).
- Full assistance provided throughout your placement.
- International teaching experience working with adults and children.
- Keywords: paid placement, teaching, TEFL, education, work placement abroad.
Thailand has long been a favourite destination for Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) teachers for its combination of gorgeous beaches and islands, excellent cuisine, fascinating multi-facetted culture, affordable cost of living and the renowned friendliness of the Thai people. What better place to gain your TEFL qualification than a sun-drenched beach paradise, coconut palms swaying and the sea glittering with pleasures for your time off?
This unique programme allows you to join in on the action with paid work as an English teacher, with training provided in one of the most iconic locations in Thailand – the bustling Capital city of Bangkok. Depending on your background and previous experience, you may be placed in one of Thailand’s many private or public schools or language centres throughout the country, ensuring your experience will be as unique and tailored to your needs as possible.
The programme includes an intensive 4-week (120 hours) teacher-training course leading to a TEFL certificate, which will arm you not only with all the necessary teaching theories, techniques, classroom experience and practice in an intercultural context. After the orientation and training, your placement – and your adventure in Thailand – begins!
The training programme has start dates throughout the year, with a summer and Christmas break. The Thai school system operates two 5-month terms, with school holidays in April and October, however it is possible to find teaching placements throughout the years as there is a huge demand in Thailand for English teachers.
The four-week course is designed to arm you with the skills and knowledge needed for an excellent career as a TEFL teacher, with an emphasis towards working with Asian learners. As a native English speaker, you will also get to find out first hand what learning a different language might be like, as your course will include foreign language elements. The training also includes real classroom experience in local schools and businesses, providing the perfect opportunity to prepare for your teaching placement. If your course takes place during the Thai school holidays, the in-class teaching will be offered as summer language camps for local kids (and adults!).
During your course, you will also touch upon necessary knowledge to tackle life in Thailand, learning about Thai culture, customs and traditions – with all its fascinating aspects.
It is important to remember you will be living and working in a culture that is very different to what you are used to and learning to anticipate what to expect in any given situation will greatly help you adjust to your new adventure.
Your course will also include time-management skills, to help you best plan out you working week once you start your teaching career.
Throughout the course, you will be set tasks, assignments and test, which will lead to a cumulative degree, included in your certificate. At the end of your training you will also receive a letter of recommendation as well as a personal assessment of the skills you have mastered during the course.
Teaching placements are available in numerous locations all over Thailand, including rural and urban areas. During your training, interviews with prospective employers will be held via Skype or phone. You can state your preference for location and school, however you will need to be flexible, as ultimately, it is up to each school to make the decision. Teachers with a university degree and previous experience may have greater choice in placements.
During your placement you should expect to work a normal 40-hour week, Monday to Friday, with approximately 20 hours of teaching. Teachers in Thailand are accorded a great deal of respect and you will be expected to behave in a manner befitting this level of respect. You will need to dress and behave appropriately at all times. During your training course, you will be given tips and pointers how best to target your CV/resume to the market as well as interview preparation.
If you already have a TEFL certificate, you can apply for our TEFL Extension course.
We have created the ‘TEFL Extension – Practical Teaching in Southeast Asia’ due to high demand from those who already have a TEFL certificate, and therefore do not wish to complete our full course – but want practical training in-country, cultural orientation, and job placement assistance.
However, we need to ensure that the course you have completed is of a similar standard to our TEFL course, and have therefore set the eligibility and application process below, in order to be able to apply to leapfrog Module one and head straight to module 2, ‘TEFL Extension – Practical Teaching in Southeast Asia’
• Min 120-hour TEFL / TESOL certificate (assessed by Destination TEFL during the application process)
• Age 20 years and above
• Native or Native level English Speakers
• UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, or South African Passport Holders
as well as EU nationals with a clear accent and near-native command of English (other nationalities may apply but visa restrictions might be an issue – please check with Destination TEFL before acceptance)
• Some work experience (does not have to be teaching related)
• University Bachelor’s Degree needed for placement in Vietnam & Thailand, or Indonesia, not required for Cambodia.
- Fit & healthy (any mental or psychological disorders will need pre-approval from Destination TEFL). NOTE: You need to be vaccinated against Covid-19 to attend the course, as schools require this, so you won’t be able to do the practical training without it.
• Clear criminal record (petty crimes can be overseen)
• Open to new cultures** We can assist friends and couples wanting to travel together.Application process:
Please provide us with the following for us to approve your application:
• Copy of min 120-hour TEFL certificate
• Letter of recommendation or a report from your TEFL provider
• 60 min Lesson Plan:
Create a lesson plan using the supplied lesson plan template attached. The lesson plan needs to be as follows:
Subject: The Present Continuous. (assume students already know the Present Simple)
Student level: Elementary learners A1 for students in their early teens
· Record a 10 min demo lesson.
· The 10 minutes should be on one part of your lesson.
· Upload your recorded lesson plan and submit the link with your application.
Based on the above application details, you might still have to do a skype/zoom interview with one of our programme directors.
• 2 weeks in-country
• 6 to 8 hours of teacher practicums at schools, NGOs, or local businesses
• In-country orientation – Asian Culture
• Interview preparation and job placement assistance
• Recap of lesson planning (Destination TEFL PPP)
• Actual lesson planning and preparation
• Cultural tour
• Cost for all above in Siem Reap, Cambodia, Bali Indonesia or Bangkok Thailand: $725
• EXCLUDING ACCOMMODATION (we have partnered with affordable accommodation, details to follow on signup)
Your placement assistance will be subject to you also doing your part during the interview and placement process. The staff at all the training centres will offer you guidance on conducting yourself during the interview process.
Travel & Accom.
Upon arrival in Thailand, you will be met at the local airport by a program representative and taken to your training location and accommodations.
During your training, various accommodation hotel options are available, from budget ($160 p/m) to mid range ($235 p/m) to high end ($422 p/m). Enquire with us when applying for full details and info pack.
During your teaching placement, you will live in your own private apartment in close proximity to your school. Some schools will offer accommodation as part of your salary package and others will assist with finding your housing.
- Minimum age 19. No upper age limit applies, though certain employers may impose this, especially if working with young children.
- Teaching placements are guaranteed for native English speakers only (UK, Ireland, US, Canada, Aus, NZ and SA) with a university degree and who achieve at least an A- degree during your TEFL course.
- Willingness to dress and behave appropriately both in training and during your placement.
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Minimum 20 hours of teaching per week, Monday through Friday.
- Willingness to adhere to and respect local Thai customs and traditions.
- Necessary vaccinations.
- Necessary flights & visas.
- Full travel & medical insurance.
4 week course
* Placements are secured through a non-refundable $500 deposit on the project fee.
**All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
Living Costs Summary
We can provide a full living costs summary upon request.
Depending on your background and previous experience as well as location of your teaching placement, you can expect to earn around $1300 USD per month. Many schools offer accommodation as part of your salary package.
The Project Fee includes full 120 hour TEFL training course and certification (unless you are taking the 1 week course), airport pick-up, welcome package (including stationary, teaching materials, loan of mobile phone) & 24-hour support.
What’s Not included:
- Domestic travel are not included.Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate