Location: Koh Rong Island and Koh Rong Sanloem island, Cambodia
Duration: Minimum 4 weeks, maximum 6 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Project is on-going from November until May and you can join at any time, depending upon availability. Placements start each Monday. It is closed during the rainy season from June until October
Cost: $ 490 one-off placement fee – please see Costs section for further details.
- Opportunity to be a work with local children on a remote island in Cambodia
- Learning opportunity in how the local schools and kindergartens operates and become one of the community in a developing country
- Opportunity to make a lasting impact on the education system and livelihoods of local children
You will volunteer for an International child-focused organization whose mission is to provide disadvantaged children better opportunities in life through free education.
Every child deserves the best possible start in life, and education is of primary importance for success. Unfortunately for a variety of reasons, children in the remote Islands of Cambodia, Koh Rong and Koh Rong Sanloem are not getting the necessary quality education they need. This is where we step in: using your experience and skills to assist in the pre-primary schools that we work with, qualified teachers and those in training can find teaching opportunities.
This project works with several pre-primary schools in area and allows you to encourage small children to learn and to grow by teaching them not only language and communication skills but also influencing them with new ideas which can help them flourish in the future. You will get a chance to work in local pre-primary schools in a fun and informal atmosphere! Focus will be more on playful interaction rather than formal teaching as the kids are aged 4 to 5 years old. You will have an unforgettable and life-changing experience and you will make a valuable contribution to the local community.
Plan your time with the children thinking about playful activities in the classroom such as drawing and coloring, singing, dancing and share your teaching methods and skills with other local teachers if you have already experience. Teaching basic English would be extremely helpful for the children and the teachers.
Our partner pre-primary schools also need volunteers to lead and participate with students in life-skills and non-academic activities. Volunteers can organize activities to raise awareness on the importance of the environment such as, for example, helping in collecting the plastic from the beaches. It’s all about providing creative spaces for children to learn new skills and explore new hobbie.
Our partner pre-primary schools also need volunteers to increase the visibility of the schools and the life of the Communities with the tourists who visit the villages and spend a couple of nights in the Islands.
At times, teachers may find their hands full and are unable to attend to each and every child at the sametime. You are needed to help fill this gap and assist teachers during school hours
Your daily life will consist of;
- Assisting in planning and preparing materials relating to the school’s specific needs
- Providing one-on-one support for children who need extra help with activities
- Teaching activities particularly relating to life skills and enrichment activities under the direction of a teacher
- Coordinating activities and resources relating to the school’s specific needs
- Helping sustain the school activities through social media and fundraising, crowdfunding activities
Your timetable will be From Monday to Saturday (Sundays are for free time).
7:00 am – Breakfast at your accommodation
7:30 am – Teaching
11.00 am – End of School day
11.00 am– 3.00 pm Free time
3.00 pm – 5.00 pm – social media and crowdfunding activities
After 5.00 pm – Free time
Travel & Accommodation
Day 1 – Upon arrival you will be met at the Phnom Penh airport and transported to an accommodation near the charity office for a one day induction and training with the director of the charity, making sure you are well acquainted with your project duties, aware of health and safety regulations and cross-cultural issues.
Day 2 – The following day you will be accompanied to the bus station ,you will travel to Sihanouville ( 6 hours trips) where you will meet a charity representative and accompanied to the Ferry (40 minutes trip), arrive to the island and escorted to the accommodation.
Day 3 – You will be accompanied to the school and introduced to teacher and children and get acquainted with the Village.
Day 4 – Day 13 – teaching activities will start
Day 14 – You will be accompanied to the second school (another part of the Island) and introduced to teacher and children and get acquainted with the Village. –
Day 15 and 27 – teaching activities will start
Day 28 – You will be accompanied to the Ferry (40 minutes trip), arrive to Sihanoukville and escorted to the Bus station by the Charity representative. You will travel back to Phnom Penh and arrive in the evening and transported to an accomodation near the charity office.
Day 29 – In the morning there will be a final meeting with the director of the Charity, debriefing, suggestions, sharing the knowledge and the experience. The afternoon will be free to visit Phnom Penh .
Day 30 – Departure from Phnom Penh airport
Depending on number of volunteers, personal preferences and availability, accommodations are available in either local home stays or guest houses. All accommodations are thoroughly vetted and albeit basic they are clean and comfortable.
- Minimum age 24
- Minimum 30 days commitment, maximum 6 weeks
- Former experience as teacher or educator or working with children
- Criminal Records check – this is mandatory to work with vulnerable children (see below).
- Basic English language skills.
- Necessary vaccinations.
- Necessary flight & visas.
- Full travel & medical insurance
CRB / Police Background Check:
As you will be working with children, you will need to get a Police Background Check (CRB in the UK). This is to ensure you have no prior convictions and are safe to work with children. This is standard procedure and part of our due diligence. Please check with your local police services as to how you can obtain your national equivalent of this check.
$490 USD one-off Placement Fee.
* Full placement fee required as deposit.
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
*** Check xe.com for the latest currency conversions
- Assist you in getting ready– We will coordinate the drafting and signature of a Volunteer Project Agreement prior to your departure, to ensure method of work, goals, outcomes and, overall, your volunteer experience is meaningful and aligned with your expectations.
- Pre-departure check-list – We will provide you a list of things to do and bring in your luggage prior to your departure.
- Help you with the bookings – we will help you reserve accommodations and local transportations (bus to /from Sihanoukville and ferry to / from the islands)
- Pick you up at Phom Penh Airport – We will pick you up at the airport upon your arrival and bring you to our accommodation.
- Welcome you on onboard – We’ll offer a cultural induction and orientation tour to help you settle in.
- Reference letter– At the completion of your volunteering, we will provide you with a valuable reference to showcase your professional impact whilst here in Cambodia.
What’s not included:
You will need to cover the cost on your own on flights, insurance, vaccinations, visa, and living costs.
You should budget approximately $1.000 for accommodation, meals and transportation.
- $ 50/ day Accommodation in Phnom Penh
- $ 15/ day Accommodation in the island –basic room
- OR $ 30/ day Accommodation in the island –room with hot water and air conditioning
- $ 28 Bus from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville/ return
- $ 28 Ferry from Sihanoukville to the island / return
- Approximately $10 per day for food
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate