Location: Anonsy region, Madagascar
Duration: 2-3 weeks
Start Dates: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability. Placements start each Monday
Cost: from £795 GBP for 2 weeks – see Costs section for more details
Includes: all food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Help with local construction projects working alongside staff and other volunteers
- Ideal for those studying community development, construction, renovation or anyone with a keen interest in getting their hands dirty helping out!.
These short-term placements are a fantastic option for those wanting to contribute to Madagascar’s established construction department in the stunning Anosy region of south east Madagascar and is ideal for motivated volunteers looking for a fitness-building outdoors experience that really makes a difference to the lives of impoverished communities.
We work with the local government to evaluate and prioritise communities most in need. We have built and repaired over 30 schools and constructed over 2000 benches using sustainable timber. We build wells which provide clean water as well as pit latrines and hand washing facilities which have a direct impact on health of local families. The work and lifestyle is challenging but incomparably rewarding and should be within the capabilities of any reasonably fit person. All skills necessary to participate on the programme are taught during the placement so no pre-existing experience is required.
You will receive a project orientation which includes information about Madagascar, local customs and an introduction to the work you will be doing. As a volunteer on this programme you may work on community projects such as building schools as seen in Project Sekoly or building wells and latrines in rural villages. In a group of like-minded international volunteers, with a team of Malagasy guides and an international group coordinator, you may get involved in:
- Digging a schools foundations and the construction of the walls.
- Painting the classrooms and building the classroom furniture.
- Working on health and sanitation projects building wells and latrines in areas with poor sanitation.
- Increasing access to safe drinking water and educating about the importance of hygiene.
Travel and Accommodation
All international flights to Madagascar fly into Antananarivo (the capital). You will also need to book a return flight from Antananarivo to Fort Dauphin (also called Tolagnaro). Advice will be provided.
You will be camping for the duration of the programme. Facilities at campsites are basic, and you will be using latrines and washing in cold water. Electricity, western style toilets, and cold water showers are available when in Fort Dauphin (usually every 3 weeks for about 4 days at a time).
- Necessary flights & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Medications (a World Health Organisation recognised malaria prophylaxis) and vaccinations
- Be able to communicate in English
- Be open minded, patient, adaptable and willing to embrace the challenges of the project
- Have a positive attitude towards living in a rural setting and working in a team
- Be in good mental and physical health- an appropriate level of fitness (able to walk up to 10 km a day in hot humid conditions), physical capability and mobility is needed for the project. Construction work can include repetitive work, heavy lifting, and long hours working in open areas in direct sunlight, as well as adventurous road journeys and long walks to reach remote and beautiful project sites.
- The ability to exhibit tolerance, patience and a good sense of humour when things get tough
£795 GBP for 2 weeks, or £995 GBP for 3 weeks
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 2 week deposit
Project Fee includes
- All food and accommodation
- Malagasy language lessons
- Airport pickup
- Detailed orientation covering Malagasy culture and background information
- In-country support and all project activities.
What’s not included:
- Travel & Medical insurance
- Visas (if applicable) and vaccinations.
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.