Location: St Eustatius
Duration: Minimum 2 months commitment
Start Dates: Project is ongoing
Cost: $525 for the first payment (covers first two months)+ $275 for each additional month – see Costs tab for further details.
- Work with coral reefs in a protected Marine Park in the Caribbean
- Take part in all nature conservation activities on the island
- Assist in research dives and data collection
- Help maintain mooring and diving sites in the Marine Park
- Keywords: Marine Park, Diving, Nature Conservation, Internship
Caribbean coral reefs are diverse and sensitive ecosystems that are vital to island economies and the well being of its populations. However they are under threat. From water pollution to climate change many coral reefs across the world are in decline. St Eustatius National Parks are part of a Dutch Caribbean wide conservation effort to preserve these vital resources on the small island of St Eustatius (Statia as it is locally called) in the North-East Caribbean .
St Eustatius National Parks manages a 27,5 km2 marine protected area in order to preserve this fragile ecosystem for future generations. The marine park runs from shore to the 30m contour line and encircles the whole island which is unique for an island of its size. Within the marine park there are two reserves with specific rule and regulations. Part of our work is to ensure that these are upheld by the community and visiting tourists. In the past three decades we have seen a decrease in coral populations and diversity across the Caribbean. Through our coral restoration project we cultivate coral fragments to be transplanted back onto the reef to increase diversity and regenerate areas hit by disease.
Over the past 20 years we have strived to protect marine life in Statia’s waters: from tiny coral species to the giant seasonal humpback whales that migrate through our waters in the winter. We preserve these natural resources so that we can enjoy them for generations to come. Our interns are part of every step along the way, are crucial to the organization and to the protection of nature on Statia.
Marine park interns will report to the Marine Park Ranger each day to assist in all activities in the marine park. Each work day is from 7 AM- 4PM, with an hour long lunch break. Expect to be on a boat twice daily, diving many times per day. Most marine park maintenance and activities happen under the water.
There is a wide range of duties you can expect to help with:
- Maintenance of mooring sites
- Patrol Marine Park and Natural Reserves
- Research dives and data collection
- Data entry and analysis
- Building buoys and splicing
- Maintenance of diving equipment
- Maintenance, organization and cleaning of work areas
- Lionfish culling
- Coral restoration
- Nighttime patrol of turtle nests
- Occasional trail Restoration in Botanical Garden and National Park
- Assist in educational programs and events
All interns must be enthusiastic about volunteering and open to working with volunteers from around the globe.
Travel & Accommodation
We accept applications all year round, as positions open up throughout the year. Interns are responsible for travel arrangements, insurance and food during their stay. Accommodations are shared with other interns.
- Amenities include:
- 3-bedroom house with bunk beds
- Shared living space
- Full kitchen
- Shared bathroom
- Laundry facilities
You will be within walking distance to town and shops where you can enjoy the island life and get your groceries. We are an NGO with limited capacity and funding. The intern house is therefore simple and basic, this goes also for the office and other facilities. A cleaning lady cleans the intern house once a week.
- Min age: 19
- Minimum duration is 8 weeks
- Good English skills
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Necessary flights & visas
- Must be physically fit
- Certified Advanced Diver (preferably certified Rescue diver)
- Must possess a valid driver’s license (manual driving preferred)
- Hard worker with good organizational skills
- Relevant education and experience in Marine Biology, preferred but not required
- Open-minded and culturally aware
$525 USD for the first month (includes $250 admin fee) + $275 for each additional month
*Place is confirmed with the $250 admin fee
** Balance (rent) is paid in cash upon arrival, or upfront if you prefer.
Accommodation in shared house, utility bills, internet & landline telephone, airport pick up / drop off. The fee is paid in cash each month, or upfront should you prefer.
What’s not included:
Food, flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations (if applicable). Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
You should budget a minimum of $300 per month for food.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate