Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Duration: Minimum 3 months, maximum 12 months commitment
Start Dates: Project is ongoing
Cost: $425 for 3 months - see Costs tab for further details.
- Develop and implement new analytical tests putting in place the necessary procedures and practices to ensure sound, reliable results
- Train laboratory staff members to effectively execute new tests in compliance with standard methods
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of current laboratory practices
Cambodia has had a challenging and dark history, and continues to be one of the poorest countries in the world. Long-term development remains an ongoing problem, with serious skill shortages affecting over two million people, who live on less than $2 per day. Our aim is to match the appropriately skilled volunteer with the right local Cambodian project. By doing we can make a more sustainable longer-term impact.
You will be asked to develop and implement new analytical tests putting in place the necessary procedures and practices to ensure sound, reliable results. During your placement you will train laboratory staff members to effectively execute new tests in compliance with standard methods, whilst contributing to the continuous improvement of current laboratory practices.
Your will be asked to get involved in the following;
- Review current analysis methods according to standard procedures. Revise current laboratory manual policies and procedures as necessary.
- Develop and introduce specific procedures, instructions and tools related to the new pathogen and quality indicator bacterial tests to be executed by the laboratory.
- Further develop the quality control plan and good laboratory practices in the lab.
- Train technicians and other staff members in new procedures, including sampling requirements, performing analysis, and interpreting and reporting results.
- Introduce systems for consolidating results and producing technical reports
- Develop materials and guidance for the lab to use when providing information to clients on sampling, appropriate tests, interpreting results and suggesting possible remedial measures.
You will work five days a week, office hours, and report to the Technical Advisor. The small laboratory is presently based within the organization offices and is staffed by one technician.In terms of work related deliverables, we expect that at the end of the placement to have achieved the following:
The laboratory presently conducts water quality testing for its community development projects and commercially for private individuals, hotels and other businesses in the leisure industry in Siem Reap. There has been demand from commercial clients for food safety and environmental testing and in response, the laboratory is now looking to expand its services to offer a wider range of microbiological tests.
A successful time with us should include the following;
- to have trained laboratory staff able to effectively execute tests according to standard procedure.
- to have improved the quality control measures in the lab
- to have engaged in positive communication with our customers about the new services on offer
Travel & Accommodation
You will be given easy to follow instructions on how to arrive at the project from Siem Reap airport. You can also fly into Phnom Penh airport and get a public bus, which will take around 7 hours.
Accommodation is not included, however there are many options available nearby. Once you arrive, we will help you to find somewhere to stay. Prices are approximately $5-8 per day for a hostel ; $10 per day for a basic room ; $15-20 per day for a nice room with A/C, Wifi , swimming pool; 30$ per day for a one bedroom apartment. You can easily find the right accommodation option for you dependant upon your budget.
- Two to three years’ experience executing analytical tests in a food laboratory environment
- Bachelor’s degree in food technology or microbiology
- Comprehensive knowledge of laboratory best practices
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Demonstrable experience in training others
- Track record in developing and introducing new laboratory systems and processes
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flights & visas (most nationalities will be fine with a tourist visa)
The project fee is $425 for 3 months placement.
*Place is confirmed with a deposit of $130
Integration into the project and full in-country support throughout your stay.
What's not included:
Accommodation, food, flights, travel insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.