Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Duration: 4-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Project starts on a Saturday with set start dates throughout the year. Check with us when applying.
Cost: from £2,695 for 4 weeks. Check the Costs tab for further information.
Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Work with local entrepreneurs to apply your business knowledge to different cultural settings and grow businesses first hand.
- Get involved on issues relating to management, processes and strategy, business systems like IT, administration, as well as, finance and accounting.
- Gain hands on experience applying your skills to real world scenarios and help real people improve their businesses.
This rewarding project allows you to work closely with local South African entrepreneurs, to apply business knowledge to a different cultural setting and get involved first hand in helping businesses to grow and develop.
Previous interns have worked on many different projects, including:
Developing a food truck and catering company that sell hamburgers, which is quite uncommon in the township areas. They also set up a new website and social media accounts, as well as standardizing various business processes.
Setting up an accounting system to record finances and formulate a business plan to apply for additional funding to expand the business with the purchase of another truck.
Most of the work you will be asked to get involved with is relating to management, processes and strategy, implementing business systems like IT, administration, as well as, finance and accounting. There is an especially big need for marketing.
This project is designed to develop your transferable skills, putting theory into practice. Your aim to ensure that the communities we work with are better prepared and equipped with the necessary tools and skills to become successful micro-entrepreneurs. This not only develops and empowers the local entrepreneurs, but also creates an opportunity for economic growth within these communities.
- You will be paired with local entrepreneurs where they can use their skill set to help develop the business. Accounting and Finance interns will focus on supporting the business in these areas, but may also assist with other business needs where appropriate. – We are partnered with Solution Space (part of UCT business school) who support the entrepreneurs to develop their businesses knowledge through lectures, guest speakers and group discussions. – You will take part in these lectures with various entrepreneurs, offering the chance to extend their own knowledge.
- Your lectures cover a range of topics and will be at an introductory level. These will be delivered by both local and national experts in the field and will give you an insight into applying business ideas and models at a local level.
- Examples of previous lectures include: Introduction to Operational Management – Introduction to Marketing – Introduction to Finance/Accounting – Introduction to HR – Introduction to Strategy – Design for development (how to apply business skills in a developing context)
Travel & Accom.
Accommodation is in shared (mixed sex) rooms with a private bathroom. 2 large bedrooms with 4-6 people in each room. There is hot running water available for cooking and showers. Flush toilet facilities are available, and participants share house duties, including cleaning and other chores. large balcony and big patio in the garden which is used as communal space.
Food is very basic, and most volunteers will prepare their own breakfasts, usually toast and cereals, and packed lunches to eat at the project site. Volunteers are split into teams to prepare the evening meal on a rotational basis, which is loads of fun, but also encourages team building. All dietary requirements will be catered for accordingly.
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 4 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
Although this project is most suited to business management or related majors, anyone with the relevant experience can apply to join this internship. Your CV will be sent to the programme’s manager to ensure that you are an appropriate fit for the programme before being accepted.
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
Project Fee includes;
- Airport pickup
- In-country support
- All project activities.
What’s not included:
- Visas (if applicable)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate