Location: Trinidad & Tobago
Duration: Minimum 1 week, maximum 6 months commitment
Start Dates: Project is on-going, you are able to join at any time, subject to availability
Cost: from £850 GBP
Includes: all accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: food, flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Gain hands-on experience in veterinary medicine while experiencing life on a Caribbean island
- Ideal for professional vets, vet nurses, students of veterinary medicine and pre-vet students
- Keywords: veterinary science, biology, serious internship, flexible placement, Caribbean
This project will provide you with an opportunity to explore and enjoy Trinidad and Tobago as well as contribute your time and skills to helping neglected and abused animals in poverty-stricken areas. There are only a few organisations that rescue and rehabilitate suffering animals on the islands and they are in need of resources and motivated volunteers to support the ongoing work.
You will have the opportunity to learn and put your theoretical knowledge into practice while working closely with a resident vet. Your assistance is of great importance in making sure the animals are well looked after and that they receive treatment as well as lots of love and attention. You will get a chance to work mainly with cats and dogs and occasionally with exotic animals.
You will have a unique experience immersed into the local life and discovering the natural beauty and rich heritage of T&T while providing much needed care for animals that have been injured, abandoned or neglected. It is a perfect combination of volunteering and vacationing in the Caribbean!
The organisation you will be working with is an associate member of the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). Apart from curing and rehabilitating injured and abused animals, they also provide educational support for animal owners in how to care for their pets. As a veterinary intern, you will get ample opportunities to gain hands-on experience working alongside the resident veterinarians. Depending on your level of training and professional background, you can serve as either an Animal Care Assistant, Volunteer Veterinary Surgeon or a Volunteer Veterinary Nurse. The duties for each role includes but are not limited to the following:
Animal Care Assistant:
- Basic training
- Educational outreach programmes
- Daily feeding and exercising of resident animals
- Assisting in animal rescue operations
- Basic health checks
Volunteer Veterinary Surgeon
- Extensive animal health checks
- Various medical procedures and veterinary treatments
- Animal rescue operations
- Be an active part in promoting animal welfare in the community
Volunteer Veterinary Nurse
- Assisting the Veterinary Surgeon in medical procedures and treatments
- Animal health checks
- Basic veterinary treatments and procedures
- Taking part in animal rescue operations
Upon arrival and commencement of your placement, you will receive orientation and training sessions as well as be assigned your own Mentor/Supervisor.
Travel & Accommodation
Upon arrival you will be met at the airport and transported to your chosen accommodation. Each placement also includes a full day orientation and training sessions, making sure you are well acquainted with your new surroundings, aware of health and safety regulations and cross-cultural issues.
Depending on number of volunteers, personal preferences and availability, accommodations are available in either local home stays or guest houses. All accommodations are thoroughly vetted and adhering to safety standards and are clean and comfortable. Whether you stay with a family or a guesthouse, breakfast and dinner is included with your placement. You will have many opportunities to sample and even learn to cook some delicious Caribbean cuisine, however all dietary requirements can be catered for.
- Minimum age 18.
- Minimum 1 week commitment.
- Relevant academic background, i.e. pre-vet or vet student or veterinary professional.
- Basic English language skills.
- Necessary vaccinations.
- Necessary flight & visas.
- Full travel & medical insurance – full assistance provided in arranging everything you will need if you choose our Premium Support
|$ USD||£ GBP*|
* Currency conversions are approximate.
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
*** Places are confirmed with a 20% deposit
Project Fee includes, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation, in-country support and project activities.
What’s not included:
Food, flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.