Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Duration: Minimum 1 week, maximum 6 months commitment
Start Dates: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
Cost: €275 Euros per week – see costs tab for further details.
- Veterinary internship placement in Kathmandu, aimed to rescue and rehabilitate stray dogs
- Flexible placement, tailored according to your interests and abilities
- Opportunity to experience real veterinary work on the streets of Kathmandu and show you can work outside of your comfort zone
- Keywords: veterinary internship, field work placement, flexible serious internship
Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world, yet one of the richest in terms of culture and heritage. With snow capped mountains, Buddhist monasteries and vibrant people it is an amazing place to spend time in and call home.
The condition of animals in Nepal is often very poor. They are often not looked after well and kicked out of their homes as they grow old. On the streets, the conditions are even worse. Many stray dogs and cows can be seen on almost every street corner in Kathmandu. They are often left to fend for themselves and roam freely on the streets.
During this program, you will aid in the rescue and rehabilitation of street dogs and those that have been abandoned by their owners. These dogs are usually mangy and starving. A lot of these animals suffer from maggot infestations, infected wounds, skin disorders, worms and parasites, and run the risk of losing their limbs. The program has been operating in the valley to resolve these issues and to counter the growing number of street dogs. After being rescued, the dogs are then kept in the animal shelter and later released or offered for adoption and onto a better life.
As part of this placement, you have the option to attend our Introduction week. During this week, you will learn about Nepalese culture through a series of introductory culture classes which are designed to help you develop your Nepalese language skills and deepen your understanding of the Nepalese way of life complete with details on rituals and customs. You will learn about Nepal’s history and the religious inﬂuences which have shaped it. Moreover, we will pay a visit the local shops and markets that will get you learning as you go with the local culture and how to become a part of it. As part of your city tour and orientation, you will also visit some amazing sites such as the temple of Boudhanath: one of the most sacred Buddhist sites in Kathmandu whose ancient spherical stupa dominates the skyline and is one of the largest in the world.
Our transfer coordinator will meet you at the meeting point in the airport upon your arrival and arrange your transfer to the center on Sunday.
- Puja to the gods & goddess and name-giving ceremony
- Go over the week’s schedule and handling of documents
- Introduction game to get to know fellow participants
- Cultural seminar on social behavioral norms, dos & don’ts in Nepalese culture. Intercultural eating and drinking habits, bathing and clothings customs in Nepalese culture.
- A little assignment for you to explore your neighbourhood and find local civic places such as banks (ATM), temples, schools, restaurants etc.
- A social interactive session to know each other and an opportunity to bring out concerns about your health etc so that we will be aware.
- Nepali language training
- Shopping to the local market
- Orientation tour of the city of Nepal with an interesting game called “Scavenger Hunt”, we will tell you more about this when you are here
- A talk on schooling and education system in Nepal and placement sites
- A cultural as well as historical orientation tour to the famous Boudhanath temple
- Nepali cooking session
- Yoga and meditation
- A Buddhist religious tour
- A local tour to the Hindu Temple
- It’s all about hiking today! We will go on a nature trail into the mountains to get a view of Kathmandu valley.
- Feedback sharing (evaluation)
On the following Monday you will begin your placement.
You will spend your day on the project shadowing veterinary and support staff, and may be called upon to assist where possible and to go out into the streets of Kathmandu and identify and rescue dogs that need treatment. Tasks vary, and depend upon the daily needs, however,you can expect to get involved in the following;
- Rescuing and treating injured street dogs
- Sterilization of female dogs
- Help in feeding stray dogs
- Cleaning their enclosures
- Walking the dogs, bathing, cleaning etc.
Travel & Accom.
You will be met at Kathmandu International Airport by a project representative and taken to the HQ in Kathmandu for a week’s orientation, cultural immersion and basic language course. You will then be taken to your chosen project location to commence your placement.
You will be placed with a local host family. They will provide you with 2 meals a day (vegetarian options available), a shared bathroom, clothes washing facilities, and you will not be further than 30 minutes walk from your place of work.
The typical Nepalese meal is ‘daal, bhaat, tarkaari’ (lentil soup, rice and vegetables) also other food like noodles, ‘roti’ (flat round bread) and different kinds of seasonal fruits and vegetables are eaten. You will eat the same food as the family everyday.
- Min age 18 – Max age 65
- You must be studying or have studied veterinary medicine, or have a relevant educational background
- Able to work at high altitude
- Reasonable physical fitness
- Motivation and enthusiasm to work in veterinary medicine, not afraid to handle animals
- Minimum 1 week
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Good English
- Full travel & medical insurance (it is compulsory that you have the Rabies Vaccination)
- Full Vaccinations
- Necessary flights & visas – Full assistance to get all this arranged available with our Premium Support.
€275 Euros per week
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 1 week deposit
Project Fee includes food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation, in-country support and project activities.
Private rooms are available for an additional €100 per week.
What’s not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate