Location: Peruvian Amazon, Cuzco region
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks
Start Dates: Ongoing; start dates every month. Check with us when applying.
Cost: from $1,800 USD
Includes: all food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: Flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- A fun, challenging life-changing experience
- Play an important role in conservation and sustainable community development
- Develop a deeper understanding of local Peru culture
- Keywords: Environmental volunteer program, Peru conservation, conservation and sustainability, Peru volunteering, environmental conservation, Peru environmental conservation
This volunteer program provides numerous opportunities to help conserve and sustain Peru’s stunning natural environment. The program’s vision is to help to create a sustainable Amazon where humans and nature can survive in perfect harmony. They do this through both research and sustainable initiatives.
The program is based in Manu, one of the most biodiverse areas on the planet. There are millions of different species in the region, giving researchers the perfect opportunity to study biodiversity issues and conservation. We are involved with a huge range of different projects, playing a large role in the conservation of the country.
This 4-week experiential learning program gives you the opportunity to live and work alongside community development staff and conservation researchers. You will get to see the unique challenges they face on a daily basis, along with what their work actually entails. You will undergo structured training to help turn you into a valuable team member.
You will learn so much about the conservation science and community development, which could potentially help to further your career opportunities. As well as the 4-week program, there are also shorter and longer opportunities available, with programs lasting up to 12 weeks.
The tasks you carry out on a daily basis throughout the project will vary depending upon the needs of the local staff. However, within this 4-week opportunity, you will typically spend the first day in Cusco. In the evening, you will be provided a formal briefing to meet other participants and learn about the program.
On your second day, you will explore the area and experience the unique Andean culture. You’ll also be able to use your time to double check you have all of the supplies and equipment you’ll need for your trek through the rainforest on day three. Setting off at first light, you will start your day and a half journey over the Andes to the Manu Biosphere Reserve. It’s a spectacular journey, giving you the chance to connect with locals along the way.
After reaching your destination on day 4, you will get to meet the community at dinner. Before that, you’ll head out into the jungle to get your first proper experience of a regenerating rainforest.
Days 5 and 6 will be training days, where you will learn more about the local communities and the challenges they face. You will also start to develop the skills and knowledge needed to begin working on our projects.
Day 7 gives you the opportunity to take a day trip to the Shintuya Hot Springs. Otherwise, you can remain at the Manu Learning Centre and assist in maintaining the lodge and reserve. On day 8, you will undergo EFR emergency training. This trains you how to respond if someone is injured or unwell. Day 9 you’ll undergo your last training day of the placement. You’ll be partaking in workshops and fieldwork.
From days 10 through to 31, you’ll be actively engaging in the project. You’ll be working Monday to Saturday, with Sundays off to spend as you please. On day 32, you’ll head back to Cusco, before signing out of the program on day 32.
Travel & Accom.
You will share a room with up to three others and will receive fresh bedding each week, as well as a mosquito net. Internet access in such a remote location means that access can be sporadic and at times unreliable. If you do get the chance in your busy schedule to write home via the internet it is a chargeable service, $5USD per hour if using solar power.
Food and packed lunches are provided three times a day and is typical local fare; rice with a sauce, vegetables, soups, occasional meat. Dietary restrictions can be catered for but must be accurately and clearly stated on the application form.
- Minimum age 18.
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment.
- Able to work in a hot (and often wet) tropical climate
- Able to walk at least 10km per day whilst carrying personal daily supplies
- Enjoy being outdoors all day in all types of weather
- Enjoy being outdoors in the potential presence of wild and possibly dangerous animals, snakes, and insects.
- Get low enough to access and collect samples on the ground
- Relevant academic background
- Basic English language skills.
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas.
- Full travel & medical insurance – full assistance provided in arranging everything you will need if you choose our Premium Support
2 weeks – $1,800 USD
4 weeks – $2,200 USD
6 weeks – $3,000 USD
8 weeks – $4,000 USD
10 weeks – $4,600 USD
12 weeks – $5,750 USD
What is included
- 24 hour in-country support, airport collection and drop-off in Cusco, Peru Accommodation in Cusco, the cloud forest, and the Manu Learning Centre
- 3 hearty meals a day
- All transport between Cusco and the rainforest, and to project work within the rainforest First Aid and CPR training and certification in remote rainforest environment
- Training and participation in all projects you will be involved in
- Mentoring sessions to keep you on track with your objectives
- The chance to work at a tropical research centre alongside experienced research staff
Note that Spanish language is not a requirement for the internship however it is highly recommend that you take lessons to become at least conversational.
What is NOT included
- Visas (if applicable)
- Travel Insurance
- Personal spending
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate