Location: Cabo Verde, Cape Verde
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks
Start Dates: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability. Placements start each Monday
Cost: £500 GBP per week – see Costs section for more details
Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
Our sports coach program focuses on the realms of soccer and basketball, offering a rewarding opportunity for individuals driven by their passion for sports to be part of a meaningful project. Here, our primary goal is to instill in children the inherent value and transformative power of sports. You will work with students spanning various age groups and sporting abilities, all eager to embark on this educational journey.
Your time will be dedicated to educating and training these young enthusiasts in the fields of soccer and basketball. You will serve as both a mentor and coach, imparting your expertise and knowledge in these two sports.
The specific style and teaching methods employed in your coaching sessions can be tailored to your preferences, discussed in collaboration with the local coach. This flexible approach allows you to bring your unique coaching style to the forefront.
However, our program extends beyond sports proficiency. It aims to be a source of inspiration and mentorship for these children. Through your guidance, they will not only enhance their athletic skills but also learn valuable life lessons. Your coaching will encourage them to strive for greatness, cultivate discipline, and develop resilience in the face of adversity. This program serves as a stepping stone for these children, instilling in them the belief that they can achieve remarkable heights in the future, even when faced with challenging circumstances. Your role as a coach will be pivotal in shaping their character and fostering their dreams of a brighter future.
Your local sport coaching coordinator will discuss with you the daily task plan depending on the skills and the skill levels of the students you are assigned with. You will volunteer alongside local staff and other volunteers from Monday to Friday to deliver Sports lessons to the very eager children!
Travel and Accom.
Upon arrival, you will be welcomed and picked up from the airport, before being taken to your accommodation.
For the duration of your stay, the fully equipped house will serve as your comfortable home. You will be sharing a room with other participants; however, gender segregation will be in place to provide privacy and comfort. The bathroom is shared and western toilets are available.
You will also have lots of opportunities to explore the town especially its crystal clear beaches and participate in programs with your other participants, which is an added plus.
On the Monday of your first week at this location, you will join our orientation day, to familiarize you with the surroundings as well as local culture. Your program will continue as usual from Tuesday onward throughout the rest of the week.
- Welcome, introduction to Cape Verdean traditions and culture, House rules, Code of Conduct and handling of documents
- Basic Kriolu Lesson
- Visit local supermarkets and ATMs, and explore the surroundings of our center.
- Visit Mar De President Beach and spend some time on the beach before returning back to the center for dinner.
Get ready for an action-packed week full of exciting adventures and cultural excursions to learn about Cape Verdean culture! During the Culture Week in Tarrafal, you’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the Cape Verdean culture by receiving real exposure to the communities and local areas. The week is designed to give you an understanding of the archipelago’s history, its people, and its flora and fauna.
Throughout the week, you’ll learn the basics of the Cape Verdean Creole language, explore Tarrafal and its surrounding areas, and enjoy a mix of local cuisine and Western food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. On weekends, two meals (breakfast and dinner) will be provided. You’ll have plenty of clean drinking water and other beverages available.
Tarrafal is full of beautiful beaches, sites, and culture. During your free time, take the time to explore the Portuguese influence on the local culture. The unique Portuguese practices are displayed in the social and cultural patterns of the country. Each day is packed with fun and adventure. You will travel to several nearby tourist attractions and gain insight into the local culture.
Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to learn about Cape Verdean culture and explore the beautiful island of Santiago. And if you’re looking for even more adventure, check out these trekking week and one-week island itineraries to help you plan your trip.
- On Monday, you will have breakfast and then get an introduction to Cape Verdean traditions and culture. We will do initial documentation before your program begins, including the signing of the Code of Conduct and collection of passport and visa copies.
- Then you will attend a Basic Kriolu class to learn about the local language. This is critical because the majority of people speak Kriolu, Portuguese, or French here. So, it may come in handy if you learn the Kriolu language.
- Then we will leave to visit local supermarkets and ATMs. Then you will visit the Museum, Tarrafal concentration camp, and local market, and explore the surroundings of our centre.
- We will have lunch at the centre.
- After lunch, you will visit Mar De President Beach and spend some time on the beach before returning back to the centre for dinner.
- After breakfast, you will attend a one-hour Basic Kriolu class to continue your course. Today you will learn how to talk about Days of the Week and months in Kriolu.
- You then have the opportunity to witness a local cooking lesson, wherein you will learn to cook Cachupa, which is a famous dish from the Cape Verde Islands.
- In the afternoon, you will visit Ribeira Das Pratas, which is the black sand beach.
- After breakfast, you will attend another basic Kriolu class where you will learn useful words for communication and spelling. Then you will visit Rebelados Village.
- Learn about this religious community primarily found in the interior of the island of Santiago, Cape Verde. They were among the groups which revolted against the liturgical reforms and isolated themselves from the rest of society
- After lunch at the centre, you will visit Piscina Natural de Cuba, a hidden getaway off the regular tourist tracks. Residents call these natural pools Esprito Santo. These natural pools can provide moments of leisure.
- After breakfast, you will attend a one-hour Basic Kriolu class and start learning how to make sentences.
- Then we will leave the centre and visit the Project site for the following week.
- You will have lunch and continue at the project site till the afternoon.
- After breakfast, we will have our last Basic Kriolu classes and start making phrases. Then we will head out to go on a fishing trip with the local fishermen.
**This activity is totally dependent on the weather. If the weather is rough or choppy on a Friday, this activity could be done on the following day or on Monday. There will not be any other activity scheduled for the day to substitute this activity**
- We will return to the centre with the fresh catch to cook for lunch.
- After lunch, you have free time to relax.
***This schedule can be changed and/or amended depending on weather conditions, local conditions and unforeseen circumstances.***
- Minimum age 18
- Passion and enthusiasm for teaching
- Not afraid to get involved
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
£500 GBP per week
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 1 week deposit, minimum 2 weeks booking
Project Fee includes food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation, in-country support and project activities.
What’s not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate