Location: Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks commitment
Start Dates: We accept applications all year round. Start dates are customizable to suit your requirements.;
Cost: £450 GBP regardless of length
- Volunteer with a local grass-roots charity providing educational support to underprivileged communities in Guatemala.
- Choose projects working with a range of ages, from toddlers to young mothers.
- Hands-on-experience in the fields of teaching and educational workshops.
- Flexible placement, tailored according to your interests and abilities.
- Immerse yourself in local life with optional home-stays. Other accommodation options also available.
- Receive dedicated support with our teams based in both the UK and Guatemala.
- Discover optional excursions to volcanoes, waterfalls and colourful colonial towns.
- Learn Spanish with 25 x pre-departure lessons included* (see Costs section)
- Affordable volunteering. One set fee with no hidden costs.
- Volunteer at any time of the year, with flexibility over length of stay.
Changing a country’s future means investing in the education of its people. Volunteer in Guatemala with a local grass-roots charity providing educational aid to underprivileged communities. Immerse yourself in local life with 25 x pre-departure Spanish lessons included.
Guatemala suffers from several challenges around its educational system. Poor funding, limited teacher training and a lack of resources are endemic, especially in rural areas. Many children are forced to leave school since their families cannot afford the costs of education, leaving them illiterate and with limited future opportunities.
This project places you in a charity established for over 30 years, situated in the beautiful region of Quetzaltenango. It is run by local people who have a close interaction and understanding of local community needs. By working side-by-side with charity staff you will have the opportunity to learn about Guatemalan life and culture.
The charity allows volunteers to bring creativity and fun to a range of subjects, from cooking classes to sports activities and maths clubs. We will match your skills and interests to areas where you can make a lasting change.
You may find yourself helping young children from 0 – 5 years olds with their social and language skills. Alternatively you could be teaching sexual education to adolescents aged 13-18 years old.
There are also opportunities to be involved in programs for adults, especially young mothers and pregnant women. You could help set up educational workshops on the preparation of nutritious foods and how to make the most out of available food resources. There are also workshops helping mothers create handicrafts which will generate family income and enable self-sustainability.
In your free time, explore one of the most diverse countries in Central America with optional excursions to ancient Mayan temples, soaring volcanoes and colourful colonial towns. Pre-departure Spanish lessons are included which will allow you to immerse yourself in local life.
On arrival in Guatemala we will hold a welcome induction in the city of Quetzaltenango, where you will be staying. This is a chance for you to meet our staff and get to know your neighbourhood. If you have chosen a home-stay option, we will ensure you are well settled in with your host family.
The next day we will introduce you to the charity and its staff, including the team-members you will be working with. During your placement, no day will be the same and you will be working closely with the charity staff in delivering educational projects which could range from teaching young children to setting up educational workshops for adults.
The placements are generally Monday to Friday, with flexibility to work full- or part-time. There may be ad-hoc requirements to volunteer on some weekends, if events are organised for then.
The charity will work around your schedule and provide free time, where possible, if you would like to do extracurricular activities or travel excursions. Quetzaltenango is renowned for the quality of its Spanish tutors and if you would like to learn, we can help incorporate Spanish lessons into your daily routine.
This hands-on experience will allow you to learn so much about Guatemala from locals itself.
Travel & Accommodation
Whilst travel and accommodation is not included in the project price, we can arrange this for you at cost price, with no added fees.
You will be given a personal placement adviser who can organise accommodation to suit your preferences, from hotels and apartments, to local family homestays. Homestays are usually approx. £55 per week, including breakfast, lunch and dinner.
We can also organise travel excursions across Guatemala.
- Age: 18+
- Minimum commitment is 2 weeks
- Passion and enthusiasm for volunteering in education
- Different projects require different levels of Spanish language skills: from no previous knowledge to advanced. We will provide 25 pre-departure Spanish lessons for all volunteers.
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flights & visas
£450 GBP regardless of project length
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a £150 deposit
**** The remaining balance is due at the earliest date of either (a) 30 days from payment of the Deposit, (b) date of your first Spanish lesson with us.
Project Fee includes
- Personal Placement Advisor
- Tailored project with a fully-vetted charity in Guatemala
- 25 x one-to-one Spanish lessons (taken pre-departure and online)*
- Pre-departure placement preparation
- Welcome induction in Guatemala
*Spanish lessons are given by an experienced tutor from our school and taken before you leave for Guatemala. Connect in an online classroom where you can see and speak to your tutor. Learn from any location convenient for you with flexible scheduling options. Lessons can start once full project payment has been received.
What’s not included:
- Airport pick-up**
- Medical & travel insurance
- Food & Accommodation** (home-stays usually include 3 meals a day)
- In-country travel and excursions**
**Whilst the below is not included in the project price, we can offer full assistance & support. All starred points (*) can be arranged by us at cost price with no added fees.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate