Location: Accra, Ghana
Duration: 1-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Weekly project starts on a Saturday
Price: from £1,795 for 1 week. Check the Prices tab for further information.
Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, pre-departure orientation and training, and all project related activities.
Does not include: Flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Learning about, and contributing towards, globally recognised development objectives in education
- Working with incredible under-privileged children and schools to break local cycles of poverty
- Plan, design and support local teachers to deliver educational classes on a range of subjects to young children, in their early years of education.
- Gaining access to Ghanaian culture & communities in a structured & rewarding manner Learning about the operations of local NGOs and the challenges of working in the development sector in West Africa
- Visiting natural sites, historic monuments and wildlife parks in a tropical Sub-Saharan African setting
- Meeting interesting and exciting people who will become lifelong friends
- Help under-resourced local schools improve their educational environments and enrich their curriculums.
While most children in Ghana do attend school, the standard of education can be fairly low, and schools are often under resourced and overcrowded. On this program, volunteers will contribute towards developing these schools in a sustainable way by assisting in the class room, doing one-to-one tutoring, and in resource and staff development. Key focus areas for this program include assisting in core subjects and designing and delivering extra-curricular activities for creche, kindergarten and junior school-aged students. Participants may also have the opportunity to get involved with activities on other programs, such as women’s empowerment and vocational training.
Get the opportunity to be involved in activities that help promote the Sustainable Development Goals including SDG #4, Quality Education. You could assist in improving the school environment, raising money for new educational resources, assisting in the training of local teachers, to organising educational games and activities, there is always plenty of valuable work to be done.
Contribute towards early-years education in the coastal fishing communities located to the West of Accra, where access to education and quality of education remain significant development challenges. Work to improve and enrich the classroom experiences of young children from under-privileged backgrounds, helping to prepare a solid educational foundation from which those students can confidently move on to the later stages of their schooling and, potentially, to higher education.
Team members needing to show flexibility, patience, a pro-active approach and an ability to work dynamically with limited resources in a developing context
Activities will include:
- Planning, designing, and delivering educational activities such as teaching and classroom support, one-to-one tutoring, organising structured play, educational games and extracurricular activities, such as arts, crafts, music and games
- Help develop educational resources, creating engaging learning materials, decorations and other classroom resources
- Help staff administrate, manage and improve school policies, procedures & practices;
- Teacher training, through workshops in educational approaches, skills and techniques
- Creating fund-raising campaigns & appeals to help raise funds or secure future support
- Organising Parent/Teacher Association meetings or other parent or community based activities and events to keep the parents and community engaged and involved in education
Travel & Accommodation
Accommodation & Food:
Accommodation is in shared (usually same sex unless otherwise requested) rooms with shared bathroom facilities. We will provide bedding (sheets, pillows, pillowcases), but you are more than welcome to bring your own if you prefer (single bed). There is running water available for cooking and showers. Flush toilet facilities are available, and participants share base duties, including cleaning and other chores.
All meals are provided on project. Dinner will be cooked by the group, with rotating cooking responsibilities. Vegetarians and vegans are easily catered for.
Health & Hygiene:
The work we contribute to across the globe remains important and new measures allow our participants to continue to join our programs and continue impacting positively on their world and the communities we work with. Changes to our existing protocols have been made by our health and hygiene team to strengthen our health and hygiene protocols and ensure that international standard safeguards are in place to protect our participants, staff and host communities. Please inquire for more information on the protocols.
Local field staff are a great source of information for sightseeing activities. Weekends are free for you to explore the beautiful sight, the possibilities are endless!
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
- 1 week – £1,795
- 2 weeks – £1,995
- 4 weeks – £2,445
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
Project Fee includes;
- 24-hour emergency phone
- 24-hour in-country support
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Airport pickup
- Online program training before program start date:
- Pre Departure Orientation (1 Hour)
- Program Specific Training (1-5 Hours)
- OPTIONAL: Community Development Online Course (10 – 15 Hours)
- In-country support
- All project activities
What’s not included:
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate