Location: Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica.
Duration: 1-4 weeks commitment
Cost: from £760 GBP Project Fee for the 1st week – see Costs tab for more information
Includes: 3 meals a day, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Get exposed to amazing exotic species, and learn about their rehabilitation.
- Costa Rica offers amazing experiences such as surfing in the South Pacific coastal region, visiting Marino Ballena National Park, relaxing on the endless beaches, hiking to waterfalls, enjoying great healthy food
- Immerse yourself in Costa Rican culture at our locally-owned accommodation – just minutes walking to the beach
Costa Rica is known for being one of the most bio-diverse areas on the planet. Almost everywhere you look you see amazing wild animals living around you. As such it is one of the best places to get exposed to, and learn to care for exotic species, and ensure their survival in our fast changing world.
You will have the opportunity to learn about various aspects of the ethology and management of animal species such as jaguars (Pathera onca), sloths (Choloepus hoffmanni), macaws (Ara macao and Ara ambiguus), tapirs (Tapirus bairdii), anteaters (Tamandua mexicana) and more.
The care of animals and the environment that this project carries out requires people with a high degree of commitment and cooperation. There are numerous diverse functions that you can perform to help animals, so you are not required to have specific knowledge about animals. All activities will always be carried out under the supervision of the organization’s staff. Volunteers will not touch the animals.
You will join our Wildlife Rescue Team to help carry out a daily Rescue Center routine. Animals under our care include: monkeys, jaguars, tapirs, macaws and many more. In addition to helping rehabilitate and rescue the animals, you can expect to perform general maintenance work in enclosures and environmental enrichment initiatives for animals. These tasks focus on providing welfare to the animals and enabling participants to learn how to handle and care for wild animals correctly. You can expect to participate in the following activities:
- Animal feeding.
- Cleaning enclosures.
- Assisting animals in case of emergency.
- Participate in efforts to rehabilitate and release animals.
- Planting trees.
- Assisting in giving tours of the sanctuary.
- Maintenance of animal enclosures and property.
- Constructing organic structures for the animals.
- Participate in the environmental enrichment of all types of animals.
- Agricultural production (for participants and animals).
- Cleaning under animal feeding stations.
- Providing water to animals.
- Washing enclosure floors.
- Sanctuary maintenance.
- Feeding baby animals.
- Providing fresh cut grass to our herbivores.
And anything else that needs to be done!
NOTE: This wildlife volunteer opportunity does not promote the domestication of wild animals. Our primary goal is to make people aware that we should NOT REMOVE wild animals from their habitats. Additionally, participants can not interfere with the animal’s natural behaviours while assisting them. Therefore, if your intention is to touch, hug, kiss, or talk to wild animals, then we recommend you look for another project. But, if you are seeking a place with a meaningful cause where you can give your time, effort and learn about with these wonderful creatures, this is your project.
Travel & Accommodation
You will be met at San Jose International Airport by a project representative and brought to the HQ by minibus. If your flight arrives in the afternoon, you will need to stay at a hostel in San Jose, which we will arrange for you.
Once at the project, you can choose between staying at our HQ accommodation, or if you want to experience proper Costa Rican life and improve your Spanish, you can stay with one of our Homestay families. Please let us know beforehand which option you would prefer.
Host Families are well-screened and offer participants a shared bathroom, private bedroom, electricity, and running water.
Headquarters housing offers participants shared bathrooms, hostel-style bedrooms, electricity, running water, and WiFi.
You will get three traditional meals per day at either accommodation. Breakfast Included: typical Costa Rican gallo pinto, toast, and eggs as well as pastries and pancakes on some days.
Vegetarians, vegans, and gluten-free options are available.
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 1 week commitment
- Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Fluent English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
* 30% deposit required to confirm your place. The balance will be due 4 weeks prior to your departure.
** For the latest currency conversions, go to xe.com.
*** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
- Airport pickup & transfer to the project (including first night stay in hostel)
- Bus ticket back to San Jose from the project
- Program Coordination & Logistics
- Staff Support Pre-arrival via Information and Orientation Guides
- Staff Support Emergency and 24/7 In-Country
- Accommodation and 3 Meals Daily
- Certificate of Participation in Program including Volunteer or Internship Hours
- Resume Support upon Completion of Program
What’s Not included
- Additional meals, drinks, and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate