Location: Esparza, Costa Rica.
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks commitment
Cost: £825 GBP per week – see Costs tab for more information
Includes: 3 meals a day, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Get exposed to amazing exotic species, and learn about and participate in their rehabilitation.
- Costa Rica offers amazing experiences such as surfing in the South Pacific coastal region, visiting Marino Ballena National Park, relaxing on the endless beaches, hiking to waterfalls, enjoying great healthy food
- Immerse yourself in Costa Rican culture, people and food.
Costa Rica is known for being one of the most bio-diverse areas on the planet. Almost everywhere you look you see amazing wild animals living around you. As such it is one of the best places to get exposed to, and learn to care for exotic species, and ensure their survival in our fast changing world.
The care of animals and the environment that this project carries out requires people with a high degree of commitment and cooperation. There are numerous diverse functions that you can perform to help animals, so you are not required to have specific knowledge about animals. All activities will always be carried out under the supervision of the organization’s staff. Volunteers will have very limited physical interaction with the animals.
You will be working with local staff as they care for animals in the animal sanctuary. These are either former pets which were illegally kept, or injured animals, taken to the sanctuary by the government. The intention is to release them to the wild.
You don’t need specialist knowledge, as there are many ways to help, but please be willing to learn about the appropriate management of wildlife – they are to be treated as wild animals, not as pets or curiosities!
You will feed a variety of animals, including jaguars, monkeys, many birds, tapirs, sloths etc, as well as being able to participate in the rescue and rehabilitation process. There is also maintenance of enclosures and the general environment. All work is carried out under the direction and supervision of professional staff in order to ensure your safety and the welfare of the animals.
Since most animals are passing through the project, we cannot guarantee you will work with any specific species, however you will get to know many incredible species in this incredibly bio-diverse country.
6:00am – Feeding of animals
8:00am – Breakfast
8:15am – Daily tasks – ecological restoration, cleaning and maintaining
enclosure, assisting with tours, preparing food and feeding animals etc.
10:30am – Juice break
10:45am – Daily tasks
12:00pm – Lunch, rest time
1:00pm – Feeding animals
3pm – Free time. There is wifi, and you are surrounded by nature.
5:00pm – Evening Meal
Travel & Accommodation
You will be met at San Jose International Airport by a project representative and brought to the project HQ upon arrival.
You will stay in purpose-built volunteer accommodation right next to the project. You will stay in shared dorms, with shared bathrooms and chill-out areas. All bedding is provided, and each room has a fan to keep you cool, and keep the mosquitos away at night-time.
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment
- Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Fluent English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
£825 GBP project fee per week.
* 30% deposit required to confirm your place. The balance will be due 4 weeks prior to your departure.
** For the latest currency conversions, go to xe.com.
*** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
- Airport pickup & transfer to the project
- Program Coordination & Logistics
- Emergency and 24/7 In-Country Support
- Accommodation and 3 Meals Daily, 2 meals on weekends.
- Certificate of Completion and CV Reference support
What’s Not included
- Additional meals, drinks, and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate