Location: Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica.
Duration: 1-4 weeks commitment
Cost: from £760 GBP Project Fee for the 1st week – see Costs tab for more information
Includes: 3 meals a day, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Get exposed to amazing exotic species, and learn about their rehabilitation.
- Costa Rica offers amazing experiences such as surfing in the South Pacific coastal region, visiting Marino Ballena National Park, relaxing on the endless beaches, hiking to waterfalls, enjoying great healthy food
- Immerse yourself in Costa Rican culture at our locally-owned accommodation – just minutes walking to the beach
Costa Rica is known for being one of the most bio-diverse areas on the planet. Almost everywhere you look you see amazing wild animals living around you. As such it is one of the best places to get exposed to, and learn to care for exotic species, and ensure their survival in our fast changing world.
You will have the opportunity to learn about various aspects of the ethology and management of animal species such as jaguars (Pathera onca), sloths (Choloepus hoffmanni), macaws (Ara macao and Ara ambiguus), tapirs (Tapirus bairdii), anteaters (Tamandua mexicana) and more.
The care of animals and the environment that this project carries out requires people with a high degree of commitment and cooperation. There are numerous diverse functions that you can perform to help animals, so you are not required to have specific knowledge about animals. All activities will always be carried out under the supervision of the organization’s staff. Volunteers will not touch the animals.
This project involves a wide variety of tasks that promote and develop wildlife conservation. The activities volunteers may participate in include, but are not limited to: environmental education programs such as presentations at community centers, making of signs and rotulation, recycling, monitoring of indigenous species, habitat clean up, feeding and food prep, beach and river clean ups, and planting trees. There are no long term caged animals. Volunteers will not touch the animals.
This is a private rainforest reserve and environmental education center located 2 minutes from central Puerto Jimenez in the Osa Peninsula of Costa Rica. Since 2012, they have been converted from agricultural land back to a vibrant biodiverse secondary forest. By planting native species and soil restoration, the land has become an oasis and biological island corridor for wildlife passing to larger expanses of forest, like Corcovado National Park, the crown jewel of Costa Rica’s national parks and a short distance from the reserve.
Travel & Accommodation
You will be met at San Jose International Airport by a project representative and brought to the HQ by minibus. If your flight arrives in the afternoon, you will need to stay at a hostel in San Jose, which we will arrange for you.
Once at the project, you can choose between staying at our HQ accommodation, or if you want to experience proper Costa Rican life and improve your Spanish, you can stay with one of our Homestay families. Please let us know beforehand which option you would prefer.
Host Families are well-screened and offer participants a shared bathroom, private bedroom, electricity, and running water.
Headquarters housing offers participants shared bathrooms, hostel-style bedrooms, electricity, running water, and WiFi.
You will get three traditional meals per day at either accommodation. Breakfast Included: typical Costa Rican gallo pinto, toast, and eggs as well as pastries and pancakes on some days.
Vegetarians, vegans, and gluten-free options are available.
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 1 week commitment
- Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Fluent English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
* 30% deposit required to confirm your place. The balance will be due 4 weeks prior to your departure.
** For the latest currency conversions, go to xe.com.
*** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
- Airport pickup & transfer to the project (including first night stay in hostel)
- Bus ticket back to San Jose from the project
- Program Coordination & Logistics
- Staff Support Pre-arrival via Information and Orientation Guides
- Staff Support Emergency and 24/7 In-Country
- Accommodation and 3 Meals Daily
- Certificate of Participation in Program including Volunteer or Internship Hours
- Resume Support upon Completion of Program
What’s Not included
- Additional meals, drinks, and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate