Location: Ambalangoda, Sri Lanka
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks
Start Dates: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability. Placements start each Monday
Cost: £500 GBP per week – see Costs section for more details
Includes: all food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- The program is the only disabled turtle conservation project in Sri Lanka, certified by the government.
- The focus is on rehabilitating wounded sea turtles that cannot survive on their own in the ocean.
- The program breeds and cares for four different species of turtles found in the Indian Ocean.
- The organization has 42 disabled turtles in the center and hatches hundreds of turtle eggs for release to the ocean.
- The aim is to conserve turtles by taking care of them, raising awareness about turtle conservation, and releasing hatchlings to the sea.
Join our government-certified program in Sri Lanka and make a meaningful impact in the conservation of disabled sea turtles. Witness the rehabilitation of these gentle creatures that have been hurt by humans or trash, and contribute towards their well-being under our specialized care.
With a focus on breeding and caring for four different species of turtles found in the Indian Ocean, including the Hawksbill, Loggerhead, Green, and Olive Ridley, our project is dedicated to giving these marine animals a second chance at life. You’ll be amazed to find that our center has 42 disabled turtles under our supervision and care.
Our goal is not for commercial gain, but to conserve these turtles by increasing awareness among fishermen and communities, caring for the turtles, and releasing baby hatchlings into the ocean. This is your chance to be part of something meaningful and make a difference in the world.
Let’s dive into the thrilling activities of this project! Throughout the week, you will have the opportunity to take part in an array of activities that involve caring for these magnificent creatures. This includes feeding the turtles every other day, cleaning their tanks and shells, cleaning the beach, and assisting with the weekly release of over 100 newborn turtles into the ocean (weather and season dependent).
As a dedicated participant in this program, your primary responsibility will be to maintain a clean and hygienic environment for these precious animals. Your contribution towards keeping the tanks and turtles clean will greatly impact their well-being and survival.
Join us in this life-changing experience, and let’s work together to make a difference in the world of turtle conservation.
Travel and Accommodation
Accommodation is provided at the volunteer centre located closew to the beach. Here you will share rooms with 4 to 5 other people on a single-gender basis. All rooms are equipped with a private toilet.
There are showers and shared bathrooms. Linens are provided; however, you need to bring your own towels. Safety lockers are at your disposal to store your belongings and there is a fridge if you would like to keep food and beverages. The dining and lounge areas await you to hang out with the other participants or you can head to the beautiful garden by the river to relax. If you need an ATM or something from the supermarket, you can reach them within a 15 minute walk. Please note the centre does not have WiFi.
You will be provided with three meals per day on weekdays and two at the weekend. The cuisine is a mix of Western and Sri Lankan dishes including lots of rice and vegetables. The local restaurants are also a convenient option for eating out.
Upon arrival at Bandaranayake International Airport in Colombo you will be met by a project representative and transferred to the volunteer centre in Ambalangoda. Please note you will need to arrive on the weekend before the start of your program.
- Minimum age 18.
- Passion and enthusiasm to get to know Sri Lanka, lots of energy and creativity!
- Willingness to dress and behave in a respectful manner, including covering up body tattoos and removing piercings while working at the temples.
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Necessary vaccinations.
- Necessary flight & visas.
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
£500 GBP per week
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 1 week deposit, minimum 2 weeks booking
Project Fee includes food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation, in-country support and project activities.
Private rooms are available for an additional €100 per week.
What’s not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate