Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Duration: Minimum 2 months, maximum 6 months
Start Dates: Project is ongoing, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
Cost: from $450 USD / £350 GBP for the 1st month - see Costs tab for further details
- Medical placement in a hospital working alongside local doctors and support staff
- Flexible placement, tailored according to your interests and abilities
- Opportunity to experience the Argentinian Health Sector and increase your medical speciality skills
- Keywords: Medical internship, hospital experience, work placement, flexible serious internship
You will help local doctors and staff to aid community members in improving their health and wellbeing, whilst searching for more efficient ways of preventing diseases.
You will shadow doctors and nurses in their daily activities, including: taking vitals, treating injuries, interacting with patients, etc. You may also perform other duties when needed such as document translation and categorization of donated medications. This is a very flexible placement and what you get out will depend greatly upon what you put in. Activities can include:
- Shadowing local doctors and nurses whilst on their rounds
- Administering basic treatments where applicable
- Monitoring and observation of patients
- Record keeping and other administrative tasks
- Patient sanitation, nutrition & education
- Exploring different treatments for simple ailments
- Participating in vaccination programs
- Providing physical therapies
You will be given easy to follow instructions on how to get from (Ezeiza) Ministro Pistarini International Airport to the Project HQ in central Buenos Aires. Alternatively you can arrange to be met at the airport for an extra $90 USD.
You will be staying in the newly built Volunteer Guesthouse. You will have access to Internet Wi-Fi, a communal kitchen, bathrooms, storage closet, bar/common area, tourist information, laundry service, DVD room, library, book exchange, and housekeeping services. Located in a renovated historic building with a great atmosphere in the heart of the city, you are extremely close to the subte (subway), buses, and trains.
There is no curfew, and you will have a real chance to practice Spanish and immerse yourself in Argentine culture with students and people who conduct workshops for youth and adults. If you want, you can participate in interesting meetings, dinners and parties with other volunteers. There are also the options to stay with a host family or rent your own apartment. Please discuss this with us when applying.
This placement is particularly well suited for medical students in their second to fourth years, and for electives. The key requirements for a medical intern are initiative, enthusiasm, and readiness to work in unfamiliar circumstances.
- Min age 18
- Minimum 2 months commitment - 30+ hours a week
- Enthusiasm and motivation to work in Medicine
- Advanced Spanish (Lessons available)
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flights & visas
Accommodation with us is optional. You are also free to rent an apartment nearby if you do not wish to stay at our volunteer guesthouse. Enquire with us when applying.
|Project fee*||with Accommodation|
* All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
** Places are confirmed with the first 1 month deposit.
You can get accurate currency conversions using www.xe.com
Project Fee includes accommodation (if opted for), project placement, in-country support and a two-day orientation to Buenos Aires.
What's not included:
All food, accommodation (unless opted for), flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full support will be provided in getting all these arranged if you opt for premium support.
You should budget around $10-15 a day for food.
Airport pickup available for an additional $90.
Placement Support Package
For your trip, we will help you organise and plan everything you will need from start to finish. Our coordinators know each project & country like the back of their hand, and will be able to offer personalised advice to ensure your trip is well-planned & executed to perfection.
This includes one-to-one assistance planning and booking;
- Pre-departure Support - Flights, Visas, Vaccinations, Insurance, Essential Items and anything else you will need before you set off.
- Ongoing In-country Support - whilst you are on the project you can Contact us at any time with any questions or concerns and we will do whatever we can to help.
- 24/7 Emergency Support - a phone number that you or your family can ring at any time, night or day in case of emergency.
Our Placement Support Package costs £349 / $449 / €425 per person, and can be purchased once you are ready to confirm your place.