Location: Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Duration: 2-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Weekly project starts on a Saturday.
Price: from £2,695 for 2 weeks. Check the Prices tab for further information.
- Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, pre-departure orientation and training, and all project related activities.
- Does not include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations.
- Earn your PADI Advanced Open Water Diver certification, opening up a career of travel and diving.
- Earn your PADI Coral Reef Research Speciality, exclusive to our marine programs.
- Preserve the unique ecosystem of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef.
- Participate in a range of other impactful marine conservation marine conservation initiatives.
- Work toward United Nations Sustainable Development Goal #14, Life Below Water.
- Learn to dive in the tropical waters of the Caribbean sea.
- Make new friends when you work with a group of like-minded individuals from around the world.
- Immerse yourself in Mexican culture, learning the language and samping authentic Mexican cuisine.
Begin your diving career by earning your PADI Divemaster qualification with us as you and your team work to compile crucial research on the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the second largest barrier reef in the world. Situated in the stunning Puerto Morelos, the oldest porteño community in the Mexican Caribbean, this site allows for some fantastic diving. You will undertake an extensive training programme, designed to test and improve your diving skills and take your knowledge of the marine ecosystem to another level. Here you will also earn your PADI Coral Reef Researcher Speciality, exclusive to our marine conservation programs. This will allow you to assist the permanent team stationed in Mexico with long-term locally led ocean conservation efforts aligned to United Nations Sustainable Development Goal #14, Life Below Water.
A typical day may involve diving, lab work, training on base, community days, and beach cleanups. Days are rounded off with evening debriefs, followed by dinner and time to relax, taking in a beautiful sunset and sharing stories with your fellow team members.
Other activities you should expect to involved with include:
- Coral restoration nurseries
- Cleaning beaches
- Turtle monitoring
- Seagrass monitoring and mapping
- Tourist impact assessment
- Turtle nesting (seasonal) monitoring around the area
- Incidental sightings recording
- Lionfish population studies & eradication program (as needed in other locations)
- Leading environmental education classes at local schools and outreach work to assist the community and promote conservation practises.
Qualifications gained – Earn your PADI Advanced Open Water Diver certification and PADI Coral Reef Research Specialty. If you stay for 8 weeks or longer you can also complete your PADI Open Water Course on base if you aren’t already certified.
4 week volunteers must come to the program as certified divers.
Travel & Accommodation
Accommodation & Food:
You will be living with the other volunteers in shared accommodation. You will have a shared (same gender) room with an en-suite bathroom. Participants share all base duties, including cleaning the common area and the resource room and other daily chores.
All meals are provided on project and some may be prepared by a local cook. Participants take it in turns to prepare meals for the group and all dietary required can be accommodated.
Health & Hygiene:
The work we contribute to across the globe remains important and new measures allow our participants to continue to join our programs and continue impacting positively on their world and the communities we work with. Changes to our existing protocols have been made by our health and hygiene team to strengthen our health and hygiene protocols and ensure that international standard safeguards are in place to protect our participants, staff and host communities. Please inquire for more information on the protocols.
Local field staff are a great source of information for sightseeing activities. Weekends are free for you to explore the beautiful sights, the possibilities are endless!
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 4 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- PADI medical form
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
- 2 weeks – £2,445
- 3 weeks – £2,995
- 4 weeks – £3,395
- 5 weeks – £3,745
- 6 weeks – £4,095
- 7 weeks – £4,445
- 8 weeks – £4,845
- 9 weeks – £5,145
- 10 weeks – £5,545
- 11 weeks- £5,895
- 12 weeks – £6,245
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
Project Fee includes;
- 24-hour emergency phone
- 24-hour in-country support
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Airport pick-up (unless otherwise stated)
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- Location orientation
- Long term experienced staff
- Meals while on project
- Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
- Welcome meeting
- Online program training before program start date:
- Pre-Departure Orientation (1 Hour)
- Program Specific Training (1-5 Hours)
- OPTIONAL: Marine Conservation Online Course (10-15 Hours)
What’s not included:
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate