Location: Talara, Peru
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks, maximum 6 months
Start Dates: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
Cost for the in-person placement: from $1230 USD for the first 2 weeks + from $448 for each week thereafter – see Costs tab for further details
Cost for the online placement:from $920 USD for the first 2 weeks + from $335 for each week thereafter – see Costs tab for further details
- Gain personal hands-on experience working with a growing Peruvian NGO.
- Work in a local initiatives with passionate people making a real difference to the community
- Learn from our educational seminars given by our Directors on topics including but not limited to: international development, NGO/social enterprise creation and management, marketing and outreach, research techniques and more.
- IMPACT – your financial contribution helps fund our projects and it also sponsors food for a family in need, which has been affected by COVID19. In appreciation the family will with our help, plant a tree in your name. A thank you photo will be sent to you.
- Live and work in a north Peru surfing hot-spot (relevant to our in-person placement)
- Flexible placement, tailored according to your interests and abilities.
This project is with a surfing-inspired sustainable development non-profit (NGO) driving the development of poor Peruvian coastal communities through a path of sustainability. We develop environmental, educational, infrastructure and socio-economic projects working hand in hand with local communities and international interns.
As a multidisciplinary academic team, we not only carry out our own social and scientific projects that we constantly need support with, but we also welcome interns from universities around the world to come and carry out their own bachelors/masters/PhD research with us in Lobitos. Volunteer interns are welcomed to develop their own research project as part of their application if it can be aligned with our work and focus. The benefits of carrying out a research project with us are:
- Enhance your CV and gain professional hands-on experience managing sustainable projects in an international development NGO, having a real and positive impact on a vulnerable community.
- Carry out a successful and impactful research project work alongside experienced & passionate people from a range of disciplines.
- Receive ongoing guidance throughout the research process from our experienced team; from before you set off for Peru, during your volunteer internship with us and when you get back to university afterwards.
- Live and work in a surfing paradise in northern Peru, the land of endless summer.
As a Marketing & Communications Intern, you will be given ownership of the organization’s outreach projects, working alongside Directors and other interns to promote our development initiatives. The daily activities and tasks may vary depending on current projects. These may include but are not limited to:
- Social media content creation
As organizations seek to expand their presence online, keeping up our involvement on social media is important to promote our many programs. As a Marketing and Communications Intern, you will gather the needed content for exciting, engaging social media posts on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Coordination and communication with all other intern teams is necessary to ensure accurate representation from all areas. This role also includes the applications for and management of various online fundraising platforms.
- Photography and videography
Having enticing graphical elements for all aspects of our communications is important to engage previous, current, and future interns, donors, and partners. In this intern role, you will help in capturing these photos through involvement in community events, planting days, organized photoshoots for partners, and many more photo opportunities. You should also be able to properly use our wildlife camera in order to capture the great biodiversity of the Lobitos area. This is a great opportunity to utilize and develop keen creative skills.
- Coordination of the design of promotional material for us and its partners
Having many partnerships and projects ongoing, it is important to keep all promotional material organized and prepared for implementation. This involves communication between the directors and partners to ensure accuracy. In addition, you will design merchandise material for us and its partners. A key eye for details and creativity is important.
- Communication with our team at home and abroad
Up-to-date communication with our supporters, both in Lobitos and around the world, is essential to the growth of our organization. You will play a role in our engagement with the Lobitos community, organizing and promoting workshops and other in-person community events. Yet you will also take part in the communication with our current and potential global donors. This may include the creation of newsletters and the orchestration of webinars, global calls, and online fundraising events.
You can take part in this position through our online program as well as a discounted financial contribution. The online activities for this project may include (but are not limited to):
- Marketing research for upcoming initiatives
- Content curation for all forms of social media and marketing
- Creation of graphic elements to be used online
- Implementation of exciting visual elements
- Monitor engagement on our online channels
- Implementation of marketing and communication goals
In addition, you’ll be able to take part in the following online educational seminars, given by our Directors:
- NGO/Social enterprise creation and management
- Outreach and Business Development
- Sustainability perspectives from a local “on the ground” development organization
- International environmental and social sustainability standards
- Research methods and community engagement
Travel & Accom.
It’s easy to get to here! There are daily flights from Lima to Talara where you will be met at the airport and driven directly to Lobitos.
During your volunteer internship with us, you will be provided with comfortable accommodation in the Volunteer House, including all meals (healthy and mostly vegetarian) and airport pickup/dropoff (all included in your financial contribution). Volunteer interns sleep in shared dorm rooms with shared bathrooms and access to a shared living room, office space, kitchen, internet connection, clean water and a garden.
Volunteer interns work between 9am to 5pm on weekdays but evenings and weekends are free for you to spend as you wish. For those joining our in-person placement, the northern coast of Peru has amazing waves, beaches and towns to go visit, with lots of different activities on offer such as:
- Surf lessons with local instructors in Lobitos. Alternatively, rent one of our surfboards and head out to the waves by yourself.
- Yoga classes
- Swimming with turtles
- Fishing, sea-lion and whale watching trips with local fishermen
- Trekking and birdwatching in the native Dry Forest ecosystem
- Eat traditional Peruvian food at local restaurants
- Visits to other nearby beaches and towns within hours of Lobitos to explore more Peruvian landscapes, culture & history.
Please note that these activities are separate and are not included in the financial contribution you make as part of the volunteer internship.
The most important thing is that you have an open mind, positive attitude and willingness to learn!
This volunteer internship is open to all disciplines, but is most suited for those interested in and/or have academic or professional experience in communications, advertisement, marketing, and sustainable development. Undergraduates, postgraduates, PhDs and/or professionals are all welcome. However, we do ask for:
- An academic, professional background or personal motivation in advertising, marketing, public relations, photography, journalism, media, sustainable development, and the like.
- Creativity and ability to create innovative content.
- Minimum age 18.
- Basic experience and strong motivation to become part of a team away from home.
However, the most important thing is that you have an open mind, a positive attitude and willingness to learn!
Below you’ll see the financial contribution required for the in-person and online placements.
|Cost per week||Total Project Fee|
|First 2 weeks||$538 (in person) $368 (online)||$1,326(in person) $986 (online)|
|3 weeks||$529 (in person) $362 (online)||$1,837 (in person) $1,336 (online)|
|4 weeks||$529(in person) $362 (online)||$2,366(in person) $1,698 (online)|
|2 months||$514 (in person) $352 (online)||$4,362 (in person) $3,066 (online)|
|3 months||$491 (in person) $337 (online)||$6,142(in person) $4,294|
* Currency in USD
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** $250 admin fee included
**** 30% deposit required to confirm place.
Project Fee includes food, accommodation, local transfers, 24-hour in-country support, orientation and integration into the project. The financial contribution you make as a volunteer intern helps funds our community projects and operations, it funds our impact. For every volunteer intern that joins our program, we also plant a tree with local families to help restore the degraded forest ecosystem found in our region.
You are having a positive impact just by joining.
What’s not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate