Location: Talara, Peru
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks, maximum 6 months
Start Dates: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
Cost: from $1180 USD for the first 2 weeks + from $423 for each week thereafter – see Costs tab for further details
- Gain personal hands-on experience working with a growing Peruvian NGO.
- Work alongside experienced & passionate professionals and local communities.
- Live and work in a north Peru surfing hot-spot.
- Ideal for those studying NGO Management and/or looking for a career in the NGO sector.
- Keywords: NGO management & administration, field research, sustainable development, community development, serious internship.
This project is with a surfing-inspired sustainable development non-profit (NGO) driving the development of poor Peruvian coastal communities through a path of sustainability. We develop environmental, educational, infrastructure and socio-economic projects working hand in hand with local communities and international interns.
We are looking for people passionate about sustainable development to support us in the day to day management of the organisation. The benefits of taking part in this volunteer internship are:
- Enhance your CV and gain professional hands-on experience managing sustainable projects in an international development NGO, having a real and positive impact on vulnerable communities.
- Work alongside experienced & passionate people from a range of disciplines.
- Live and work in a surfing paradise in northern Peru, the land of endless summer.
Daily activities will vary depending on our current projects but volunteer interns will be able to get involved in a variety of tasks and development initiatives including, but not limited to;
- Project Wilipipe – Tide and swell charts for the local fishermen
This project involves creating and distributing tide and swell charts for the local fishermen each week. These charts provide them with vital, scientific data which improves their productivity and economic wellbeing.
An important aspect of managing a non-profit organisation is finance. As an NGO management volunteer intern, you will be supporting accounting processes, work with spreadsheets and financial performance metrics and reports.
- Social Media/Website
As a rapidly growing organisation, we are always expanding current projects and creating new ones whilst running community events. There’s a lot going on at EcoSwell every week and we need help documenting it all! You will be supporting by taking photos and making videos of all the ongoing activities as content for our social media platforms and website.
- Project monitoring, data analysis and evaluation
Many of our ongoing projects require monitoring and evaluation of the project’s progress for current and future sponsors. NGO management interns can get involved in designing and carrying out surveys in the local community, analysing data and report writing.
- Project maintenance
NGO management volunteer interns are also needed to support other volunteer interns and staff in the maintenance of our reforestation sites, permaculture garden, dry toilet units and more. This gives you a great opportunity to learn about and apply their knowledge and skills in a variety of aspects of sustainable development.
Travel & Accommodation
It’s easy to get to here! There are daily flights from Lima to Talara where you will be met at the airport and driven directly to Lobitos.
During your volunteer internship with us, you will be provided with comfortable accommodation in the Volunteer House, including all meals (healthy and mostly vegetarian) and airport pickup/dropoff (all included in your financial contribution). Volunteer interns sleep in shared dorm rooms with shared bathrooms and access to a shared living room, office space, kitchen, internet connection, clean water and a garden.
Volunteer interns work between 9am to 5pm on weekdays but evenings and weekends are free for you to spend as you wish. The northern coast of Peru has amazing waves, beaches and towns to go visit, with lots of different activities on offer such as:
- Surf lessons with local instructors in Lobitos. Alternatively, rent one of our surfboards and head out to the waves by yourself.
- Yoga classes
- Swimming with turtles
- Fishing, sea-lion and whale watching trips with local fishermen
- Trekking and birdwatching in the native Dry Forest ecosystem
- Eat traditional Peruvian food at local restaurants
- Visits to other nearby beaches and towns within hours of Lobitos to explore more Peruvian landscapes, culture & history.
Please note that these activities are separate and are not included in the financial contribution you make as part of the volunteer internship.
This volunteer internship is open to all disciplines, but is ideal for those interested in international and sustainable development. Undergraduates, postgraduates, PhDs and/or professionals are all welcome. However, we do ask for:
- Minimum age 18.
- Basic experience or strong motivation to work as part of a team away from home.
However, the most important thing is that you have an open mind, positive attitude and willingness to learn!
Accommodation with us is optional. You are also free to rent an apartment nearby if you do not wish to stay at our volunteer guesthouse. Enquire with us when applying.
|Cost per week||Total Project Fee|
|First 2 weeks||$465||$1180|
* Currency in USD
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** $250 admin fee included
**** 30% deposit required to confirm place.
Project Fee includes food, accommodation, local transfers, 24-hour in-country support, orientation and integration into the project.
What’s not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate