Location: Talara, Peru
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks, maximum 6 months
Start Dates: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
Cost: from $1180 USD for the first 2 weeks + from $423 for each week thereafter – see Costs tab for further details
- Gain personal hands-on experience working with a growing Peruvian NGO.
- Work alongside experienced & passionate professionals and local communities.
- Live and work in a north Peru surfing hot-spot.
- Ideal for those studying Engineering and Renewable Energy Technology
- Keywords:Engineering, field work, sustainable development, community development, serious internship.
This project is with a surfing-inspired sustainable development non-profit (NGO) driving the development of poor Peruvian coastal communities through a path of sustainability. We develop environmental, educational, infrastructure and socio-economic projects working hand in hand with local communities and international interns.
Lobitos is a semi-rural community that suffers from regular blackouts, power cuts and lack of resources. Moreover, energy costs are the highest monthly expense of families that are struggling to get out of poverty. Our renewable energy projects work to combat these issues by providing sustainably sourced energy which is accessible to the more deprived groups within the community. So far we have:
- Installed a 2500W solar panel system at the artisanal Fisherman’s Guild Community Hall in 2016 to harness energy from the year-round desert sunshine, thus reducing their operating costs and generating important income for their organisation.
- Constructed a solar distiller to desalinate sea water and provide clean water for the local community. Lobitos is located in an arid desert landscape, therefore clean water is not readily available naturally and the supply of clean water from the nearby city of Talara fluctuates. This project aims to potentially expand to more units to provide reliable clean water for even more people in the community.
- We are currently working on a wind turbine for the Lobitos Medical Post. The blackouts mean that the vaccines stored in fridges expire when they are not kept chilled. The strong winds, especially during the winter months, will provide a readily available backup source of energy at the medical post, thus giving the local community consistent access to vital vaccinations.
We are in need of hard-working interns with an interest and/or background knowledge/experience in renewables to come to Lobitos and help us in the implementation of these projects. The benefits of taking part in this volunteer internship are:
- Enhance your CV and gain professional hands-on experience managing sustainable projects in an international development NGO, having a real positive impact on a vulnerable community.
- Work alongside experienced & passionate people from a range of disciplines & backgrounds.
- Live and work in a surfing paradise in northern Peru, the land of endless summer.
As a renewables volunteer intern, you will be given ownership of the projects, directly co-managing our sustainable energy initiatives. The daily activities will vary depending on the progress and stage we are at each project. This may include but is not limited to:
- Designing renewable energy solutions and implementing any add-ons or improvements to the existing systems.
- Leading research and coming up with relevant mechanical and electrical solutions in the construction of wind turbines, solar distillers and other potential renewable energy devices.
- You will work directly with the directors to manage the budgets of materials required.
- Getting involved in the actual installation work and upkeep of the projects.
- Carrying out crowdfunding campaigns to raise funds for the implementation of more energy projects.
Travel & Accommodation
It’s easy to get to here! There are daily flights from Lima to Talara where you will be met at the airport and driven directly to Lobitos.
During your volunteer internship with us, you will be provided with comfortable accommodation in the Volunteer House, including all meals (healthy and mostly vegetarian) and airport pickup/dropoff (all included in your financial contribution). Volunteer interns sleep in shared dorm rooms with shared bathrooms and access to a shared living room, office space, kitchen, internet connection, clean water and a garden.
Volunteer interns work between 9am to 5pm on weekdays but evenings and weekends are free for you to spend as you wish. The northern coast of Peru has amazing waves, beaches and towns to go visit, with lots of different activities on offer such as:
- Surf lessons with local instructors in Lobitos. Alternatively, rent one of our surfboards and head out to the waves by yourself.
- Yoga classes
- Swimming with turtles
- Fishing, sea-lion and whale watching trips with local fishermen
- Trekking and birdwatching in the native Dry Forest ecosystem
- Eat traditional Peruvian food at local restaurants
- Visits to other nearby beaches and towns within hours of Lobitos to explore more Peruvian landscapes, culture & history.
Please note that these activities are separate and are not included in the financial contribution you make as part of the volunteer internship.
This volunteer internship is open to all disciplines, but is most suited for those interested in renewable energy systems and international and sustainable development. Undergraduates, postgraduates, PhDs and/or professionals are all welcome. However, we do ask for:
- An academic, professional background or personal motivation in engineering, electronics, renewable energy systems, sustainable development or the like.
- Minimum age 18.
- Basic experience or strong motivation to work as part of a team away from home.
However, the most important thing is that you have an open mind, positive attitude and willingness to learn!
Accommodation with us is optional. You are also free to rent an apartment nearby if you do not wish to stay at our volunteer guesthouse. Enquire with us when applying.
|Cost per week||Total Project Fee|
|First 2 weeks||$465||$1180|
* Currency in USD
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** $250 admin fee included
**** 30% deposit required to confirm place.
Project Fee includes food, accommodation, local transfers, 24-hour in-country support, orientation and integration into the project.
What’s not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate