Location: Kandy, Sri Lanka
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks
Start Dates: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability. Placements start each Monday
Cost: £400 GBP per week – see Costs section for more details
Includes: all food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- The project focuses on renovating temples, schools, and community centers in and around Kandy.
- Participants will engage in basic renovation, painting, and restoration of artwork in and around the temples in the afternoons.
- Kandy is a quiet yet active and vibrant city that was originally the main Sri Lankan kingdom and has many important temples and historical sites.
- In addition to restoring broken temples, participants will also be involved in various other restoration, reconstruction, and beautification activities in and around Kandy.
- Activities include beautification of parks, schools, and the town in many creative ways.
Get ready to embark on an exciting journey to restore historical landmarks and beautify Kandy, a city known for its captivating temples, stunning scenery and rich culture.
As part of this project, you will work on renovating and restoring temples, schools, and community centers, breathing new life into these cherished sites. Your tasks will include painting, basic renovation, and restoration of artwork in and around the temples.
Kandy’s serene yet vibrant atmosphere provides a welcome escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. You’ll have the opportunity to explore this hill country’s cultural nucleus, visit historical sites and offer prayers and flowers at the town’s many important temples.
Beyond temple restoration, you will engage in a variety of activities such as beautifying local parks, schools, and town areas with creative installations and murals. These efforts will encourage students to return to school with enthusiasm, and create fun playground activities for growing children.
Join us in this fulfilling project that combines history, culture, and creativity, and make a meaningful contribution to Kandy’s community.
There are many temples, schools, and community centers in and around Kandy that require renovation, restoration, and repair work. Our project works to bring back life to many of them. Your work will include basic renovation, painting and restoration of artwork in and around the temples in the afternoons.
Monday to Friday
- Cleaning the surroundings of the identified sites
- Painting buildings
- Engaging in mural work if available
- Engaging in artwork if the temple makes requests
Travel and Accommodation
Accommodation is provided at the volunteer centre located 2 km from the centre of Kandy town. Here you will share rooms with 4 to 5 other people on a single-gender basis. All rooms are equipped with a private toilet.
There are hot showers and shared bathrooms. Linens are provided; however, you need to bring your own towels. Safety lockers are at your disposal to store your belongings and there is a fridge if you would like to keep food and beverages. The dining and lounge areas await you to hang out with the other participants or you can head to the beautiful garden by the river to relax. If you need an ATM or something from the supermarket, you can reach them within a 15 minute walk. Please note the centre does not have WiFi.
You will be provided with three meals per day on weekdays and two at the weekend. The cuisine is a mix of Western and Sri Lankan dishes including lots of rice and vegetables. The local restaurants are also a convenient option for eating out.
Upon arrival at Bandaranayake International Airport in Colombo you will be met by a project representative and transferred to the volunteer centre in Kandy. The journey to the centre takes approximately three hours. Please note you will need to arrive on the weekend before the start of your program.
- Minimum age 18.
- Passion and enthusiasm to get to know Sri Lanka, lots of energy and creativity!
- Willingness to dress and behave in a respectful manner, including covering up body tattoos and removing piercings while working at the temples.
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Necessary vaccinations.
- Necessary flight & visas.
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
£400 GBP per week
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 1 week deposit, minimum 2 weeks booking
Project Fee includes food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation, in-country support and project activities.
Private rooms are available for an additional €100 per week.
What’s not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate