Location: Limpopo, South Africa
Duration: 4-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Weekly project starts on a Saturday.
Price: from £4,095 for 4 weeks. Check the Prices tab for further information.
- Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, pre-departure orientation & training and all project related activities
- Does not include: Flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Earn skills, experience, and qualifications that will help move you closer to your dream job in conservation.
- Listen to the quiet hush of the wild open spaces, waking each morning to a chorus of savannah birds and drifting off to the nighttime hum of endemic frogs and crickets.
- Learn to identify predators, like lions, cheetahs, and leopards, as well as megaherbivores like elephants and rhinos.
- Master radio telemetry techniques and learning how to track and record animal movements.
- Complete online courses endorsed by the University of Richmond in the United States
Join top local as well as international organisations such as Elephants Alive and World Wildlife Trust as they work on critical conservation which contributes to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals #15, Life on Land.
Situated on a game reserve you will be surrounded by some of the most incredible fauna and flora. As an intern you could expect to be involved in key conservation efforts on the reserve, the main one being the tracking and documentation of the number of species within the reserve. Other conservation activities you could be involved in include prohibiting destruction of plants by Elephants; control Cheetah feeding habits and the success of their integration into the reserve; anti rhino poaching initiatives as well as environmental education classes in the local community.
You will be motivated to generate new solutions and propose new elements to improve contribution to conservation in the reserve in South Africa.
Interns are required to complete weekly assignments and host leadership days. While on program, interns are supported by a dedicated mentor.
This internship includes three online courses which must be completed in order to obtain a certificate offered in partnership with the University of Richmond in the United States:
- Wildlife Conservation
After successful completion of this internship, you will be offered two career coaching sessions as well as gain access to a job portal.
Are you looking to pursue a career in conservation? Why not upgrade to a career internship.
The career upgrade offers you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience by working with partner orginisations in multiple locations. This combination of having a virtual experience on top of on the ground experience are qualities that are highly sought after by employers.
Do you have an independent research topic to complete? Why not upgrade to an research internship.
Gain valuable experience and collect data for a dissertation or thesis. This program offers virtual check ins with a research supervisor who has extensive experience and credentials in this sector. As a research intern, your main focus will be collecting or analyzing data and writing a paper.
JOB GUARANTEE: for both the Career & Research internship, we offer a job guarantee for those who join for a minimum of 6 months with a 50% cash back guarantee (terms and conditions apply).
Get in touch for more information!
Participants are expected to remain flexible as project work changes based on weather as well as needs of our project partners.
- 5 or 6am: Wake up call
- 6 – 10 am: First Drive
- 12pm: Lunch
- 1pm – 4pm: Second Drive
- 6pm: Dinner
- 9pm: Bed Time
Travel & Accommodation
Accommodation & Food:
Based in Karongwe game reserve, just a short drive away from the Kruger National Park. Live in a renovated farmhouse surrounded by wildlife.
Accommodation facilities are shared dormitories and can be considered basic.
All meals are provided on project, breakfast and dinner is prepared by the host family. Vegetarians and vegans are easily catered for.
Health & Hygiene:
The work we contribute to across the globe remains important and new measures allow our participants to continue to join our programs and continue impacting positively on their world and the communities we work with. Changes to our existing protocols have been made by our health and hygiene team to strengthen our health and hygiene protocols and ensure that international standard safeguards are in place to protect our participants, staff and host communities. Please inquire for more information on the protocols.
By participating in this program, you are not only offered an opportunity to work toward conserving ecosystems but also the opportunity to see local sites! Our dedicated field staff are the best resource when researching local trips, they have compiled this list of activities.
These side trips are not included in the program fee but are highly recommended:
- Skiing in the Drakensberg Mountain Range
- Bungee Jumping & Ziplining
- Hoedspruit Reptile Center
- Kruger National Park
- Kalahari Dessert (a bit further away but worth a visit)
- Cape Town (a 2 hour flight away)
- Blyde River Canyon
The possibilities are endless!
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 1 week commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
- 4 weeks – €4,095
- 6 weeks – €4,995
- 8 weeks – €5,745
- 10 weeks – €6,395
- 12 weeks – €7,245
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate