Location: Limpopo, South Africa
Duration: 2-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Project starts on a Saturday with set start dates throughout the year. Check with us when applying.
Cost: from £2,395 for 4 weeks. Check the Costs tab for further information.
Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Interpret the environment for field safety, specifically utilising and using field survey techniques
- Gain skills to set up and manage field camp
- Learn fundamental skills in identification of fauna and flora
- Learn how to interpret animal behaviour in relation to safety and scientific data collection
- Develop techniques and skills for studying wildlife, animal behaviour and biodiversity survey of reptiles, Birds, Amphibians and arthropods
- Gain training and skills in 4×4 driving and learn how to communicate via VHF radios
- Learn fundamentals of tracking animals using tracks and signs.
This program aims to give you a holistic experience and to provide the necessary skills for living and working in a remote field location. This includes everything from managing a camp, safety considerations and awareness, orientation, 4×4 driving and so much more. The course also offers training in fauna and flora identification, animal behaviour and fundamental field techniques to collect data. This aims to enable you to work safely and effectively in the field while having a better understanding of species in the context of their environment.
Through hands-on experience, game drives and lectures, you will have the opportunity to develop their bush and field biologists skills and to elevate their understanding and skills as a field biologist
This program is of particular interest for those wishing to gain practical experience in the field of wildlife research and conservation. Includes intensive field experience, lectures, practical surveys, research and tracking techniques – you will be taught the necessary skills for living in a remote field location.
- Managing a camp
- Safety considerations and awareness
- Rifle handling, orientation
- 4×4 driving
- Training in fauna and flora identification
- Animal behavior
- Fundamental field techniques to collect data.
At the end of this course students will:
- Have an understanding of the principles of tracking
- Tracking techniques
- Be able to identify some of the tracks of the larger species of animals in the area
- Interpret animal gaits and movements
- What data can be collected from spoor
- The study of animal behaviour and signs
Travel & Accom.
Accommodation is in shared (mixed sex) rooms with shared bathroom facilities. There is cold running water available for showers. Flush toilet facilities are available, and participants share base duties, including cleaning and other chores.
Participants take it in turns to prepare meals for the group. Food is very basic with about two thirds of the meals vegetarian. Breakfast could be cereal, fresh fruit, rusks etc., lunch is typically sandwiches, salads and a typical evening meal may include rice, fresh veg, etc.
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 4 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
Project Fee includes;
- Airport pickup
- In-country support
- All project activities.
What’s not included:
- Visas (if applicable)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate