Location: Limpopo, South Africa
Duration: 2-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Weekly project starts on a Saturday.
Price: from £1,545 for 1 week. Check the Prices tab for further information.
Includes: Food, accommodation, airport pickup, pre-departure orientation and training, and all project related activities.
Does not include: Flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Interpret the environment for field safety, specifically utilising and using field survey techniques
- Gain skills to set up and manage field camp
- Learn fundamental skills in identification of fauna and flora
- Learn how to interpret animal behaviour in relation to safety and scientific data collection
- Develop techniques and skills for studying wildlife, animal behaviour and biodiversity survey of reptiles, Birds, Amphibians and arthropods
- Gain training and skills in 4×4 driving and learn how to communicate via VHF radios
- Learn fundamentals of tracking animals using tracks and signs.
This program aims to give you a holistic experience and to provide the necessary skills for living and working in a remote field location. This includes everything from managing a camp, safety considerations and awareness, orientation, 4×4 driving and so much more. The course also offers training in fauna and flora identification, animal behaviour and fundamental field techniques to collect data. This aims to enable you to work safely and effectively in the field while having a better understanding of species in the context of their environment.
Through hands-on experience, game drives and lectures, you will have the opportunity to develop their bush and field biologists skills and to elevate their understanding and skills as a field biologist
This program is of particular interest for those wishing to gain practical experience in the field of wildlife research and conservation. Includes intensive field experience, lectures, practical surveys, research and tracking techniques – you will be taught the necessary skills for living in a remote field location.
- Managing a camp
- Safety considerations and awareness
- Rifle handling, orientation
- 4×4 driving
- Training in fauna and flora identification
- Animal behavior
- Fundamental field techniques to collect data.
Travel & Accommodation.
Accommodation & Food
You will be living with the other volunteers in shared accommodation. You will have a shared (same gender) room with an en-suite bathroom. Participants share all base duties, including cleaning the common area and the resource room and other daily chores.
All meals are provided on project and participants take it in turns to prepare meals for the group. Dinner might be anything from a traditional South African ‘potjie’ stew to pastas and stir frys.All dietary requirements can be accommodated.
Health & Hygiene:
The work we contribute to across the globe remains important and new measures allow our participants to continue to join our programs and continue impacting positively on their world and the communities we work with. Changes to our existing protocols have been made by our health and hygiene team to strengthen our health and hygiene protocols and ensure that international standard safeguards are in place to protect our participants, staff and host communities. Please inquire for more information on the protocols.
Local field staff are a great source of information for sightseeing activities. Weekends are free for you to explore the beautiful sights, the possibilities are endless!
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 4 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
Project Fee includes;
- 24-hour emergency phone
- 24-hour in-country support
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Airport pickup
- Online program training before program start date:
- Pre Departure Orientation (1 Hour)
- Program Specific Training (1-5 Hours)
- OPTIONAL: Wildlife Conservation Online Course (10 – 15 Hours)
- In-country support
- All project activities
What’s not included:
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate