Location: Pucallpa, Peru
Duration: Minimum 6 weeks, maximum 6 months commitment
Start Dates: Placements start each Monday
Cost: : $250 / £200 for for 1st week + £100 for each week thereafter - see costs tab
- Work closely with experienced scientists and support staff in their ongoing duties.
- Hands-on experience rehabilitating wild animals, creating and maintaining cages, conservation education and categorizing flora and fauna.
- Opportunities for animal science, zoologists, conservationists and enthusiasts for wildlife.
- Keywords: wildlife rehabilitation, animal studies, conservation education.
The rescue centre provides shelter for dislocated native animals in northern Peru. Most of these animals are confiscated from the illegal trade, or have been abandoned by previous owners once they were deemed unfit as pets. Once at the centre, they can live in their natural environment, some in large enclosures and others in semi-captivity, depending on their behaviour and ability to live peacefully with the other animals at the centre. The main aim of this initiative is to transition the animals that are identified as eligible to a rehabilitation and reintroduction site, with the end goal being a release into the wild.
Much of the centre is not constructed, however there are new areas we are working on, which need your help in reforestation, construction of new cages, huts, pathways and everything else on the list! This is an exciting opportunity to help create and grow a wildlife sanctuary in the middle of the Amazon jungle.
You will help in all on-going construction. We have constructed a volunteer house, a kitchen, a family house, a veterinary clinic and various cages. Soon we hope to build a quarantine facility and several new cages. In addition you can help with mapping the area, setting up a water system, and participating in our reforestation project by replanting among other things, fruit trees that originate from the area. You don't need any qualifications in these areas, just the will and energy to help!
Some activities you can get involved in include;
- Enrichment of cages. This involves finding different methods with natural material (available locally) and studying the effects
- Reforestation; Research the methods of reforestation areas which were cultivated and implement changes
- Categorize the flora of the forest. For this you need to do pre-research of flora and fauna in literature, and be able to speak Spanish as you need to talk to locals a lot for the determination of species.
- Categorizing fauna (e.g. birds, mammals, frogs, etc) (also for long term stay), with pre-research, and ability to speak Spanish
- Conservational education. Preparing information for the local school(s), as well as giving some lecture about conservation (in Spanish).
The surroundings here are beautiful. You will find yourself in the middle of the forest, nearby a river where you can swim. On the land there is a small waterfall with a small basin to bath. We are the first people to settle on this side of the river.
You will be given full details on how to arrive at the project location by bus or plane.
You will be living rather primitively, as there is no electricity and no hot water. There is a local town from where you can get most amenities, including internet and food . Full assistance and orientation will be provided, and the coordinator will make sure you are comfortable and safe.
- Min age 18
- Minimum 6 weeks commitment
- Able to work in hot jungle climate and live in basic conditions
- Good physical fitness
- Enthusiasm and interest to work in wildlife rehabilitation and construction
- Conversational English or Spanish
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flights and visas
|Subsequent Week||£100||350 for volunteer / 400 for intern|
* Currency conversions are approximate.
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
*** £100 admin fee included in 1st week.
Project Fee includes food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation, in-country support and project activities.
What's not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Placement Support Package
For your trip, we will help you organise and plan everything you will need from start to finish. Our coordinators know each project & country like the back of their hand, and will be able to offer personalised advice to ensure your trip is well-planned & executed to perfection.
This includes one-to-one assistance planning and booking;
- Pre-departure Support - Flights, Visas, Vaccinations, Insurance, Essential Items and anything else you will need before you set off.
- Ongoing In-country Support - whilst you are on the project you can Contact us at any time with any questions or concerns and we will do whatever we can to help.
- 24/7 Emergency Support - a phone number that you or your family can ring at any time, night or day in case of emergency.
Our Placement Support Package costs £349 / $449 / €425 per person, and can be purchased once you are ready to confirm your place.