Location: Migori, Kenya
Duration: Minimum 1 week, maximum 6 months commitment
Cost: from $530 USD for the first week, prices staggered for longer stays. Check Costs tab for further details.
Start Dates: this project is ongoing and you can join at any time.
- Gain hands-on experience in community development work and NGO management & administration
- Ideal opportunity to get to know Kenyan culture and customs, and play a part in long-term development goals
- Keywords: community development, charity work, volunteer abroad, NGO management
For many, Kenya represents the ultimate African destination. A microcosm of this giant continent, Kenya contains both soaring mountains, grand savannahs, lush forests, deserts and rich corals beneath the surface of its coast. Despite the unparalleled natural riches that lure thousands of visitors each year, Kenya remains a country with deep economical and societal divides, lacking in many aspects of infrastructure, healthcare and school systems. Situated on the border of Tanzania, in between the Masai Mara and Lake Victoria, the Migori region is home to approximately 1 million people. Of these it is estimated about 43% live below the poverty line and the county is believed to have the highest ratio of un-educated adults in the whole of Kenya, with a mere 21% of residents being educated to secondary or above levels.
The NGO behind this project was first set up as a community organisation in 2007 and changed into an NGO in 2010, with the aim to provide impoverished local communities in the Migori region with support for sustainable development, empowering them to become self-reliant. Their main areas of focus are education, healthcare and environmental projects.
This project places you within the HQ of the organisation, where as a charity office volunteer, you will become an integral part of the administration team.
As a volunteer on this project, you will be spending about 70% of your time in the office and the remaining 30% visiting the various projects run by the NGO. You will have an amazing opportunity to learn what goes on behind the scenes of an African NGO!
Your daily duties in the office consists of assisting with online marketing campaigns, maintaining the NGO website as well as day-to-day administration duties and program management. Other duties include social media management, marketing, fundraising. While out visiting programs, you might be required to take photos and obtain testimonials from volunteers and interns in the field. To thrive in this role you should exhibit plenty of enthusiasm for the work carried out by the NGO!
Travel & Accommodation
You will be met at Kisumu International Airport upon arrival, and transferred directly to the project.
Accommodation during your placement is available in either local homestays, in a shared volunteer house or local hotels, depending on your preferences. For an authentic Kenyan experience, we recommend homestays or shared volunteer house, however if you are interested in placements within larger health care facilities in bigger towns, hotels or B&B are a good option.
- Minimum age 18
- Minimum 1 week commitment.
- Basic English language skills.
- Strong enthusiasm for the project
- Necessary vaccinations.
- Necessary flight & visas.
- Full travel & medical insurance.
|Host Family||Volunteer House||Hotel|
* All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
** 2 week deposit required to confirm place.
Project Fee includes food, accommodation, local transfers, 24-hour in-country support, orientation and integration into the project.
What’s not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate