Location: Accra, Ghana
Duration: 2-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Weekly project starts on a Saturday.
Price: from £1,295 for 1 week. Check the Prices tab for further information.
Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, pre-departure orientation and training, and all project related activities.
Does not include: Flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations.
- Contribute towards sustainable women’s empowerment initiatives in Ghana
- Learning about, and contributing towards, globally recognised development objectives in gender equality
- Working with incredible underprivileged women to break local cycles of poverty and address gender disparities
- Gaining access to Ghanaian culture & communities in a structured & rewarding manner
- Learning about the operations of local NGOs and the challenges of working in the development sector in West Africa
- Visiting natural sites, historic monuments and wildlife parks in a tropical sub-saharan African setting
- Meet interesting and exciting people who will become lifelong friends
Based in the lively and enchanting beach-side village of Kokrobite, your time and efforts will help the women of the community improve their self-determination, increase families’ and communities’ quality of life, and help women to meaningfully contribute towards increasing their general productivity and economic and social development.
Ghana is still largely a patriarchal society, women are often expected to become housewives or mothers from a relatively young age, resulting in a lack of financial independence and a lack of gender consideration or contributions across a broad range of social and professional spectrums in general. Participants will therefore work alongside local partner organisations helping local women of all ages to achieve economic development and financial independence.
This project contributes to Sustainable Development Goals: UN SDG #1, No Poverty; SDG #5, Gender Equality and SDG #10 Reduced Inequalities.
With a focus on basic computer skills, English language and literacy, life skills, setting and achieving professional goals, and small business skills, participants will help organise and deliver workshops, community activities, and events for women that help breakdown gender disparities in line with global gender equality goals.
Activities will include:
- Assist with the creation of safe spaces for women to discuss gender issues and to learn about progressive gendered approaches
- Activities will be shaped around individual participant skills and experience so individual project responsibilities may vary
- Project activities mostly fall between 8am – 4pm Monday to Friday, but can vary
- Conducting research in to local attitudes and approaches to women’s economic empowerment challenges & opportunities to help guide and improve
- Undertaking campaigns or activities to raise funding or awareness regarding women’s economic rights and gender equality
- Delivering vocational skills workshops in basic computing skills, English language, literacy, business and life skills, and financial planning
- Delivering training and knowledge in global gender equality approaches and how those approaches can fit with local approaches
Travel & Accommodation
Accommodation is in shared (usually same sex unless otherwise requested) rooms with shared bathroom facilities. We will provide bedding (sheets, pillows, pillowcases), but you are more than welcome to bring your own if you prefer (single bed). There is running water available for cooking and showers. Flush toilet facilities are available, and participants share base duties, including cleaning and other chores.
Food will be cooked in traditional local style and vegetarians can be accommodated. Everyone makes their own breakfast with the products in the house and will be mainly porridge, bread or cereal with fresh fruit and coffee or tea. During project days, we eat lunch on project. Dinner will be cooked by the group, with rotating cooking responsibilities. A typical evening meal may include beans, rice, pasta, fresh fruit, and vegetables.
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
- 1 week – £1,295
- 2 weeks – £1,545
- 4 weeks – £1,945
- 6 weeks – £2,645
- 8 weeks – £3,145
- 10 weeks – £3,595
- 12 weeks – £4,095
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
Project Fee includes;
- 24-hour emergency phone
- 24-hour in-country support
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Airport pick-up (unless otherwise stated)
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- Location orientation
- Long term experienced staff
- Meals while on project (except on work placements for long term internships)
- Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
- Welcome meeting
What’s not included:
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate