Location: Esparza, Costa Rica.
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks commitment
Cost: from £550 GBP Project Fee for the 1st week – see Costs tab for more information
Includes: 3 meals a day, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- This volunteer construction project is a very hands-on and is an opportunity to make a big difference to the local community.
- By improving local infrastructure, you help to improve local opportunities and raise morale.
- Costa Rica offers amazing experiences such as surfing in the South Pacific coastal region, visiting Marino Ballena National Park, relaxing on the endless beaches, hiking to waterfalls, enjoying great healthy food
- Immerse yourself in Costa Rican culture, people and food.
Join our construction project to improve local homes, schools, community areas, and public buildings. As a construction volunteer, you will be helping to repair, paint, remodel, or make improvements within the local communities to improve the village or town and overall morale.
With the support of the local government and educational board, we have access to many schools and community building in the area. We are flexible to the needs of the local community, and previous and future projects include: painting and maintaining buildings, assisting with construction, maintaining green areas and helping with local agronomy and environmental projects.
If you are staying for longer than a week, you can expect a varied workload.
You will participate in various constructions projects. Some of the projects range from repairing and building homes, public buildings, publicly used areas such as jungle gyms, parks, etc. and schools in rural villages and towns. Some duties may include digging, removing dirt, carrying bricks, mixing cement, plastering, painting, cleaning and other various labor intensive needs. The work days are typically Monday through Friday, though the work schedule may vary based on project needs, the construction schedule and weather.
You will be working Monday to Friday, 3-6 hours per day weather permitting and task accommodating.
Evenings and weekends are for you to spend either relaxing, or doing pre-planned excursions and activities.
Travel & Accommodation
You will be met at San Jose International Airport by a project representative and brought to the project HQ upon arrival.
Your new home will be one of two newly built eco houses in our centre in Esparza: Jaguar House and Toucan House.
The two houses sleep up to 22 people. Most rooms have bunk beds and are shared on a single gender. One room in each house has a bunk bed with a double bed below, single above, suitable for couples or small families, if needed. (Private rooms can be obtained at additional cost; this must be arranged before arriving for your program).
All doors are lockable, but as rooms are shared, and we carry out regular cleaning, we recommend that you don’t lock your rooms.
There is also a large dining hall/games room/communal area shared by both houses, with free WiFi, and table tennis, and a large garden of tropical plants, including coconut palm, papaya, banana, and citrus
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment
- Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Conversational English
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
No specific qualifications are required to join the construction in Costa Rica project, though the work will be physically demanding. You should be in good physical condition.
You should bring sturdy boots, long trousers, a sun hat and work gloves.
£550 GBP project fee per week
* 30% deposit required to confirm your place. The balance will be due 4 weeks prior to your departure.
** For the latest currency conversions, go to xe.com.
*** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
- Airport pickup & transfer to the project
- Program Coordination & Logistics
- Emergency and 24/7 In-Country Support
- Accommodations and 3 Meals Daily, 2 meals on weekends
- Certificate of Completion and CV Reference support
What’s Not included
- Additional meals, drinks, and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate