Location: Fiji & Phang Nga, Thailand
Duration: 24 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Project starts on a Saturday with set start dates throughout the year. Check with us when applying.
Price: £15,345 for 24 weeks. Check the Prices tab for further information.
- Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, pre-departure orientation, marine conservation online course, leadership online course, careers online course and all project related activities.
- Does not include: Flights, travel between Fiji & Thailand, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations.
- Earn your PADI Divemaster, opening up a career of travel and diving.
- Contribute to UN SDG, #14, Life Below Water in Fiji.
- Earn your PADI Coral Reef Researcher Specialty, exclusive to our marine programs.
- Gain experience working in a dive shop on a Thai island.
Begin your diving career and travel the world by earning your PADI Divemaster qualification with us. First, you will journey to the tiny Fijian island of Caqalai to start your practical training on a volunteer program. Here you will also earn your PADI Coral Reef Researcher Speciality, exclusive to our marine conservation programs. This will allow you to assist the permanent team stationed on the island with long-term locally led ocean conservation efforts aligned to United Nations Sustainable Development Goal #14, Life Below Water.
Afterwards you will join a dive centre in Thailand for 3 months, where you will perfect your skills as a recreational dive leader. The internship is designed to give you an intensive and comprehensive introduction to professional diving with the opportunity to experience two of the world’s most popular diving locations.
Pre- Departure Online Training:
Our programs are not only life-changing experiences but are also designed to help participants increase their employability.
Eight weeks prior to your start date, you will complete the following online courses in preparation for your in-country program:
PRE-DEPARTURE ORIENTATION (1 hour)
PROGRAM SPECIFIC TRAINING (1 – 5 hours)
MARINE CONSERVATION COURSE (10 – 15 hours)
LEADERSHIP COURSE (10 – 15 hours)
CAREERS COURSE (10 – 15 hours)
In order to obtain a certificate for the Marine Conservation course which is endorsed by the University of Richmond and UNC Charlotte, you will need to complete quizzes & assignments and will be given 4 weeks post program to submit your work.
FIRST 3 MONTHS: Fiji Marine Conservation program:
- Be trained in the identification of invertebrate, fish or benthic (coral) target species and life forms. Once fully trained in species ID, interns will be taught several survey techniques allowing them to become a member of the data collection survey team building an inventory of marine species in Moturiki waters.
- Gain your PADI Advanced Open Water, PADI Coral Reef Research Diver, Rescue Diver and Emergency First Responder certifications.
LAST 3 MONTHS – Work placement in Thailand Dive Shop
Once you have successfully completed the first three months of training in Fiji, you will travel to a dive centre in Southern Thailand.
- Learn what the business of running diving tours is really like, under the guidance of a professional diving team.
- Gain experience working with clients by leading dives in preparation for your final PADI Divemaster assessment.
Travel & Accommodation
Accommodation & Food
Shared (mixed sex) facilities with shared bathroom facilities with flush toilets. Participants share base duties, including cleaning and other chores. On base all meals are included however interns need to be aware that not all placements provide food and they may have to pay for and cook their own. Accommodation on your placement will be shared at your dive center – the location will be discussed with you during your program.
Health & Hygiene:
The work we contribute to across the globe remains important and new measures allow our participants to continue to join our programs and continue impacting positively on their world and the communities we work with. Changes to our existing protocols have been made by our health and hygiene team to strengthen our health and hygiene protocols and ensure that international standard safeguards are in place to protect our participants, staff and host communities. Please inquire for more information on the protocols.
Local field staff are a great source of information for sightseeing activities. Weekends are free for you to explore the beautiful sights and beaches of Thailand, the possibilities are endless!
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 24 weeks commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- PADI medical form
- PADI OW certified (or equivalent)
- Documents for long term work permit Fiji Visa
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
Project Fee includes;
- 24-hour emergency phone
- 24-hour in-country support
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Food (on program base and some work placements)
- Airport pickup
- Online program training before program start date:
- Pre-Departure Orientation (1 Hour)
- Program Specific Training (1-5 Hours)
- Marine Conservation Online Course (10-15 Hours)
- Careers Online Course (10-15 Hours)
- Leadership Online Course (10-15 Hours)
- In-country support
- All project activities
What’s not included:
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
- Transfers from Fiji to Thailand
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate