Location: Guinjata Bay, Mozambique
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks (qualified divers only)
Start Dates: See the Daily Life section for start dates
Cost: £1,995 GBP for 5 weeks – see ‘Costs’ tab for further details
- Work closely with our qualified international marine biologists helping with humpback whale, coral reef, fisheries, megafauna (whale sharks & manta rays) and ocean trash research.
- Gain hands on experience in tropical marine biology field work and see the inner workings of a micro non-profit NGO.
- Experience the Mozambique culture, teach marine conservation and contribute to a world-first data set with a true mission.
The organisation you will be participating with is a charitable non-profit marine conservation organisation, aimed at using extensive research, education and diving to create a more sustainable future for the communities of Mozambique and beyond. The area of the project is home to a wide variety of species, including many varieties of sharks, rays and whales, and is an incredibly rich bio-diverse area – we want to keep it that way!
To date, the marine area has never been subjected to in depth academic study, which is why the organisation was set up here specifically. Your help is needed to further our aim of studying the fauna of this area, so as to ensure its protection in a sustainable manner for the local community. Ultimately the goal is to create a Marine Protected Area for the Inhambane Province in Mozambique, and achieve higher biodiversity and protect endangered species.
You are invited to be a part of our cutting edge ethical volunteer programme, enabling you to gain experience and contacts with marine biologists, as well as local community elders and stakeholders. You will have a hand on everything ranging from marine conservation action to teaching water safety in local schools.
You will have the opportunity to learn about, and work in a wide variety of areas, some of which include;
- Introduction To Data Handling
- Scientific Dive Training
- Conservation Science Training
- Participate In Coral Reef Surveying
- Megafauna Research
- Participate In Fisheries Research
- Survey Design And Development
- Teach Marine Conservation
- Improve Local School Facilities
- Help With Beach Cleans & Ocean Trash Research
- Support Swimming Lessons For Local Kids
Each experience starts with a Training Week. During this week, we will ensure that you are familiar with our research areas and have a good knowledge of the local area and what is expected of you. It is also a good chance to get to know your fellow interns and staff members.
Depending upon what you are interested in, there will be lectures on many of the modules mentioned above, learning about different methodologies and practices, which will be out into action in the coming weeks and months. As you will be handling large sets of data, the Introduction to Data Handling will be a core part of your learning during this week, as well as Survey Design and Development.
If you are not already Scuba certified, we can also arrange for PADI Open Water Diver training, to get you ready for conducting research.
Much more detail on each of these modules will be made available during the interview process, but you can also request further details at any time, by clicking the Ask Question button above and speaking directly to the project coordinator.
Dates for 2019
21st April – 26th May (finishing 31st May inc. safari)
26th May – 30th June (finishing July 5th inc. safari)
30th June – 4th August (finishing August 9th inc. safari)
11th August – 15th September (finishing September 20th inc. safari)
15th September – 20th October (finishing October 25th inc. safari)
As you can imagine, there is so much to see and do nearby. You can participate in many organised different experiences from a Surf Trip & Lessons, Free-Diving, Yacht Trips & snorkeling, City Walking Tours and of course an amazing Safari. You can participate in the safari at the end of your program where we’ll take you down to South Africa where you will spend 5 nights learning about the bush, terrestrial ecology and the incredible South African landscape.
If this is of interest, let us know and we can give you more details. This can be booked when you’re out in Mozambique and paid in cash, no need to make a decision now.
Travel & Accom.
You will be met at Inhambane Airport by a project representative and accompanied to the project location.
You will be staying by the beach in Guinjata Bay, backpacker style with a max of 4 people per room (genders will be separated). You will be fully catered for, so you just need money for drinks, data and treats. Bedding and mosquito nets are provided. Running water/power is available, with the exception of a few cuts!
WIFI is not available, but you can buy a local SIM to access the internet through mobile data. You must make sure your phone is unlicked from your home NETWORK before you arrive in order for your mobile device to be able to connect to a Mozambique provider.
- Min age 18
- You must be studying a related subject at university level or equivalent
- You must be PADI certified by the programme start date – we can provide training if needed
- Reasonable physical fitness, you will be diving regularly
- Swimming Ability: You will need to be able to swim 200 metres and tread water for 10 minutes unaided as per PADI prerequisites.
- Minimum 5 weeks including the Training week (2 weeks if you are already a qualified diver)
- Good English
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Full Vaccinations
- Necessary flights & visas – Full assistance to get all this arranged available with our Premium Support.
£1,995 GBP for 5 weeks placement.
* Check XE.com for currency conversions
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Places are confirmed with a 20% deposit
Airport pickup from IHB airport
- All Accommodation for 35 nights
- 3 meals a day
- All snorkelling and diving required for the program
- Scientific dive training Diving kit hire
- All science equipment
- Training, guidance and mentoring by our marine biologists and scientists.
- Local cultural tour
- Organization T-shirt
- 24 hour on-site & UK office support
- Pre-departure and Visa support
What’s not included:
- Visa expenses and insurance
- Optional extra activities
- Extra drinks or any food other than specified
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate