Location: Jangamo Bay, Mozambique
Duration: 5 weeks (qualified divers only)
Start Dates: See the Daily Life section for start dates
Cost: £1995 GBP for 5 weeks – see ‘Costs’ tab for further details
- Work closely with our qualified international marine biologists helping with humpback whale, coral reef, fisheries, megafauna (whale sharks & manta rays) and ocean trash research.
- Gain hands on experience in tropical marine biology field work and see the inner workings of a micro non-profit NGO.
- Experience the Mozambique culture, teach marine conservation and contribute to a world-first data set with a true mission.
The organisation you will be participating with is a charitable non-profit marine conservation organisation, aimed at using extensive research, education and diving to create a more sustainable future for the communities of Mozambique and beyond. The area of the project is home to a wide variety of species, including many varieties of sharks, rays and whales, and is an incredibly rich bio-diverse area – we want to keep it that way!
To date, the marine area has never been subjected to in depth academic study, which is why the organisation was set up here specifically. Your help is needed to ensure its protection in a sustainable manner for the local community. Ultimately the goal is to create a Marine Protected Area for the Inhambane Province in Mozambique, and achieve higher biodiversity and protect endangered species.
You are invited to be a part of our cutting edge ethical volunteer programme, enabling you to gain experience and contacts with marine biologists, as well as local community elders and stakeholders. You will have a hand on everything ranging from marine conservation action and research to teaching water safety in local schools.
You will have the opportunity to learn about, and work in a wide variety of areas, some of which include;
- Introduction To Data Handling
- Scientific Dive Training
- Conservation Science Training
- Participate In Coral Reef Surveying
- Megafauna Research
- Participate In Fisheries Research
- Survey Design And Development
- Teach Marine Conservation
- Improve Local School Facilities
- Help With Beach Cleans & Ocean Trash Research
- Support Swimming Lessons For Local Kids
Each experience starts with a Training Week. During this week, we will ensure that you are familiar with our research areas and have a good knowledge of the local area and what is expected of you. It is also a good chance to get to know your fellow interns and staff members.
Depending upon what you are interested in, there will be lectures on many of the modules mentioned above, learning about different methodologies and practices, which will be out into action in the coming weeks and months. As you will be handling large sets of data, the Introduction to Data Handling will be a core part of your learning during this week, as well as Survey Design and Development.
If you are not already Scuba certified, we can also arrange for PADI Open Water Diver training, to get you ready for conducting research.
Much more detail on each of these modules will be made available during the interview process, but you can also request further details at any time, by clicking the Ask Question button above and speaking directly to the project coordinator.
Dates for 2021
30th May – 4th July (Ending 11th July inc. safari)
4th July – 8th August (Ending 15th August inc. safari)
8th August – 12th September (Ending 19th September inc. safari)
12th September – 17th October (Ending 24th October inc. safari)
As you can imagine, there is so much to see and do nearby. You can participate in many organised different experiences from a Surf Trip & Lessons, SUP and boat Trips & snorkeling, City Walking Tours and of course an amazing Safari. You can participate in the safari at the end of your program where we’ll take you down to South Africa where you will spend 5 nights learning about the bush, terrestrial ecology and the incredible South African landscape.
If this is of interest, let us know and we can give you more details.
Travel & Accom.
You will be met at Inhambane Airport by a project staff member and accompanied to the project location.
You will be staying by the beach in Jangamo Bay, backpacker style with a max of 4 people per room (genders will be separated). You will be fully catered for, so you just need money for drinks, data and treats. Bedding and mosquito nets are provided. Running water/power is available, with the exception of a few cuts!
WIFI is not available, but you can buy a local SIM to access the internet through mobile data. You must make sure your phone is unlocked from your home NETWORK before you arrive in order for your mobile device to be able to connect to a Mozambique provider.
- Min age 18
- You must be studying a related subject at university level or equivalent
- You must be PADI certified by the programme start date – we can provide training if needed
- Reasonable physical fitness, you will be diving regularly
- Swimming Ability: You will need to be able to swim 200 metres and tread water for 10 minutes unaided as per PADI prerequisites.
- Minimum 5 weeks including the Training week
- Good English
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Full Vaccinations
- Necessary flights & visas – Full assistance to get all this arranged available with our Premium Support.
£1995 GBP for 5 weeks placement.
* Check XE.com for currency conversions
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Places are confirmed with a 20% deposit
- Airport transfers
- Accommodation in Guinjata Bay (35 nights)
- 3 meals a day (B/L/D)
- All snorkelling and diving required for the program
- Scientific dive training
- Diving kit hire
- Training, guidance and mentoring by the marine biologists and scientists at LTO
- Local cultural tour
- Love the Oceans T-shirt
- 24 hour on-site & UK office support
- Pre-departure and Visa support
What’s not included:
- Visa expenses and insurance
- Optional extra activities
- Extra drinks or any food other than specified
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate