Location: Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Duration: 4-12weeks commitment
Start Dates: Weekly project starts on a Saturday.
Price: from £3,745 for 4 week. Check the Prices tab for further information.
- Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, pre-departure orientation & training, University of Richmond leadership & careers online courses, and all project related activities
- Does not include: Flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Earn your PADI Advanced Open Water qualification
- Opportunity to complete courses offered in partnership with the University of Richmond in the United States
- Access to a job portal
- Dive while working to preserve the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the largest ecosystem of its kind
- Gain skills & qualifications necessary for a career in conservation
- Earn your PADI Coral Reef Research Diver, a unique specialty offered only through completion of this program
Travel to Mexico and work alongside local authorities on the preservation of the Mexico Carribeans Marine Biosphere Reserve, one of the largest ecosystems globally. The projet goals are aligned to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal number 14, Life Below Water.
Interns will be PADI dive trained in order to effectively complete necessary data collection on the coral reef without causing any damage. Upon completion of this internship, you will receive your PADI Open Water (8wks+), PADI Advanced Open Water and the unique speciality PADI Coral Reef Researcher.
Participate in surveys that work to establish the overall health of the reef; maintain a coral nursery which involves growing coral fragments to replant them onto the local reef, assist with beach clean ups to minimise marine plastic pollution and immerse with the local community by conducting environmental education workshops.
You will be motivated to generate new solutions and propose new elements to improve contribution to conservation in Mexico.
Interns are required to complete weekly assignments and host leadership days. While on program, interns are supported by a dedicated mentor.
This internship includes three online courses which must be completed in order to obtain a certificate offered in partnership with the University of Richmond in the United States:
- Marine Conservation
- Leadership Training
- Career Development
After successful completion of this internship, you will be offered two career coaching sessions as well as gain access to a job portal.
Are you looking to pursue a career in conservation? Why not upgrade to a career internship.
The career upgrade offers you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience by working with partner organizations in multiple locations. This combination of having a virtual experience on top of on the ground experience are qualities that are highly sought after by employers.
Do you have an independent research topic to complete? Why not upgrade to a research internship.
Gain valuable experience and collect data for a dissertation or thesis. This program offers virtual check ins with a research supervisor who has extensive experience and credentials in this sector. As a research intern, your main focus will be collecting or analyzing data and writing a paper.
JOB GUARANTEE: for both the Career & Research internship, we offer a job guarantee for those who join for a minimum of 6 months with a 50% cash back guarantee (terms and conditions apply).
Get in touch for more information!
Participants are expected to remain flexible as project work changes based on weather as well as needs of our project partners.
- 5 or 6am: Wake up call
- 6 – 10 am: First Survey
- 12pm: Lunch
- 1pm – 4pm: Second Survey
- 6pm: Dinner
- 9pm: Bed Time
Travel & Accommodation
Puerto Morelos is the oldest port city in the Mexican Caribbean, our base is located on the beachfront about 5km from the town centre.
Accommodation facilities are shared dormitories and can be considered basic.
Breakfast is prepared by participants and while lunch and dinner is prepared by a local cook. Most dietary requirements can be catered for.
By participating in this program, you are not only offered an opportunity to work toward conserving ecosystems but also the opportunity to see local sites! Our dedicated field staff are the best resource when researching local trips, they have compiled this list of activities.
- Mayan Ruins
- Eco Adventure Parks
- Diving & Snorkeling
- Whale spotting
- Hiking & rock climbing
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 1 week commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
- 4 weeks – £3,745
- 5 weeks – £4,095
- 6 weeks – £4,495
- 7 weeks – £4,795
- 8 weeks – £5,195
- 9 weeks – £5,545
- 10 weeks – £5,945
- 11 weeks – £6,345
- 12 weeks – £6,695
- 24 weeks – £10,545
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a deposit.
*Discount are available to customers travelling from September 2021 onwards
Project Fee includes;
- 24-hour emergency phone
- 24-hour in-country support
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Airport pick-up (unless otherwise stated)
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- Certification and summary of training and experience received
- Community work workshop
- Confidential professional reference
- Coral reef ecology
- Final evaluation
- First Aid & CPR training
- Introduction to teaching techniques
- Location orientation
- Long term experienced staff
- Meals while on project (except on work placements for long term internships)
- Real hands on experience and learn about the challenges of marine conservation has in this region
- Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
- Teamwork and leadership experience
- Transfer to base location
- Use of O2 equipment workshop
- Weekly evaluation with your mentor
- Welcome meeting
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal dive kit, e.g. mask, fins, wetsuit, timer, DSMB and reel, slate, etc.
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Some equipment is not included
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate