Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Duration: Minimum 2 months, maximum 6 months
Start Dates: Project is ongoing, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
Cost: from $770 USD for 2 months – see Costs tab for further details
- Gain experience working for a grassroots NGO in the centre of Buenos Aires.
- Opportunities for those looking for a career in the NGO sector and humanitarian development
- Serious NGO Internship focusing on NGO administration, PR & humanitarian development
After its experience of dictatorship in the 70’s and 80’s Argentina developed a vibrant civil society and NGO sector to protect the interests of vulnerable groups and hold the government to account. The NGO you will be working with supports various social initiatives in and around Buenos Aires, and they constantly need to attract volunteers and funding for their many activities.
This position is ideal for someone interested in working with grassroots organizations as well as in communications and marketing. You will observe and participate in the organisation’s daily tasks, gaining valuable insight and experience that will help further your career. The placement will enable you to work in different areas of communications, from writing the blog each week and experiencing the different projects that we work with, to contacting media and updating the social network pages. You will be able to work side by side with the NGOs partner organisations around Argentina, strengthen their volunteering programs and not only help the organization but also be able to learn and be part of the internal processes.
The organisation where you will be working, reaches out to Community centres around Argentina, community health centres, tourism boards, schools, psychiatric hospitals, orphanages, and radio stations, among others. The organisation works with volunteers from USA, England, Germany, Canada, Brazil, Australia, France, Switzerland etc.
Your working hours will be between 12 and 20 hours a week (flexible).
You will have the opportunity to get involved in most aspects of day-to-day operations within the office, depending on your interests and skills.
The different areas of work will be: social media, public relations, media, social secretary, and translating.
Daily tasks will include:
- A combination of writing, editing, analysis and research. As well as other tasks that support the more central activities of writing institutional material (attending meetings, helping plan events, creating spreadsheets for online posting, sending newsletters, translating, etc.).
- Writing the monthly newsletter about: local news, volunteers’ experiences, media coverage, various events (fundraising, weekend activities, etc.).
- Working together with coordinators and other volunteers from the marketing area in writing materials about the organization, trying to encourage new volunteers to participate in their programmes.
- Being involved in the planning and execution of marketing and promotion strategies (your suggestions and initiatives are welcome).
- Being in charge of social media. This will include: updating pages on Twitter, Facebook and blogs, posting volunteer experiences and photos, articles, videos, writing articles on places you have been to in Buenos Aires, posting information on different websites with placements, contacting universities and the media, producing and editing volunteer testimonial videos.
- Managing weekly volunteer time, allowing you to get involved in the many hands-on volunteer opportunities whilst ensuring that the volunteers are happy and productive. You will also be welcoming new volunteers.
- Helping to organise local events that volunteers or people visiting Buenos Aires may be interested in.
- Providing support in organizing campaigns of alternative publicity and fundraising.
In your free time you will have the opportunity to explore Buenos Aires, known as the ‘Paris of South America’ for its exquisite architecture, rich music and arts scene, world-renowned cuisine, and an exciting, varied nightlife!
- Optional tasks: Editing blogs, production of video testimonials, photo editing, and translating texts.
Travel & Accom.
You will be given easy to follow instructions on how to get from Ministro Pistarini International Airport (Ezeiza) to the Project HQ in central Buenos Aires. Alternatively you can arrange to be met at the airport for $90 USD.
You will be staying in the newly built Volunteer Guesthouse. You will have access to Internet Wi-Fi, a communal kitchen, bathrooms, storage closet, bar/common area, tourist information, laundry service, DVD room, library, book exchange, and housekeeping services. Located in a renovated historic building with a great atmosphere in the heart of the city, you are extremely close to the subte (subway), buses, and trains. There is no curfew, and you will have a real chance to practice Spanish and immerse yourself in Argentine culture with students and people who conduct workshops for youth and adults. If you want, you can participate in interesting meetings, dinners and parties with other volunteers.
- Minimum age 18
- Minimum 2 months commitment – 20+ hours a week.
- Enthusiasm and motivation to work in the development sector at a managerial level
- Intermediate Spanish (lessons available)
- English, Portuguese, German and French are also a plus, as they are spoken among the volunteers
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Necessary vaccinations, flights & visas
- It is important that you possess initiative, empathy, and a sense of co-operation
- It is also advisable that you bring your own laptop to work more comfortably
Accommodation with us is optional. You are also free to rent an apartment nearby if you do not wish to stay at our volunteer guesthouse.
|Project fee*||with Accommodation|
* All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
** Places are confirmed with a 15% deposit
*** Check xe.com for the latest currency conversions
Project Fee includes accommodation (if opted for), project placement, in-country support and a two-day orientation to Buenos Aires.
What’s not included:
All food, accommodation (unless opted for), flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full support will be provided in getting all these arranged if you opt for premium support.
You should budget around $10-15 a day for food.
Airport pickup available for an additional $90.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators. We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate