Location: Cape Town, South Africa OR Swaziland
Duration: Minimum 4 weeks commitment
Start Dates: There are start dates on the first Monday of each month
Cost: from £1,328 GBP – see Costs section for more details.
Includes: all food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Work with our Marketing coordinator to assist with photo and video stock for marketing and/or fundraising needs
- Bring knowledge and expertise to the project, whilst taking away hands-on experience
- Photograph projects & interns in action, create videos and interviewing staff or interns about their experiences
We pffer you the opportunity to work in an international setting to assist community development activities in Southern Africa. You can choose between the city of Cape Town or the Kingdom of Swaziland to work with our team to create photos and short videos to help us promote the activities of our community development initiatives.
Whether you are looking for experience to further your career or looking to make a difference in a much needed part of the world, this internship is designed to be beneficial for all involved. Therefore if you have any special interests, skills or goals, let us know and we will do whatever we can to integrate them into the programme.
As an intern, your role with us is to bring knowledge and expertise to the project, whilst taking away hands-on experience and adding to your achievements. You will be working on a strategic level to develop local capacity so that the project can continue long after you have left. You will be expected to take on responsibility and to create goals that you will be involved in or lead. You will also have a mentor assigned to you to guide you throughout the internship.
Upon arrival, our team will assist you with getting started, meeting project partners, and advising you on next steps. You will then have the flexibility to create your own schedule with partners, and together create a plan of action of goals to achieve whilst working together. For this reason, it is important that the word “partner” remain key throughout the experience. Our interns have a world of expertise to offer, however all goals should be created together with the in-country partner so the outcomes are sustainable even after the intern returns home. We do not expect our interns to take on a job position, but rather take on the role of advisor; offering advice, suggestions and assistance in creating strategies that will make long term impacts.
The role will involve reporting to the Marketing coordinator to assist with photo and video stock for marketing and/or fundraising needs. Your videos and photos will be used on our website, social media pages and on our other marketing materials. Some of the activities you may get involved in may include:
- Photographing projects & interns in action
- Creating video “trailers” of our projects for our website
- Creating video or photo blogs of your experience
- Interviewing staff or interns about their experiences
Travel & Accommodation
During your stay you will be accommodated in the award-winning Lidwala Lodge located in Ezulwini valley (the Valley of Heaven) in central Swaziland only 15 minutes away by car from the capital town Mbabane. Within a few kilometers are the Lobamba, Ezulwini and Mahlanya communities. The cultural heart of Swaziland is where you can find most tourist activities and sites such as the Royal Palace, houses of parliament, the national sports stadium and the national museum.
The Lodge is conveniently located on the main Ezulwini road, less than 2 km away from many of the area’s main facilities and attractions (craft markets, the Gables shopping centre, hotels, restaurants).
The rooms where you will stay are dorm-style with bunk beds and shared bathrooms. You will be provided with sheets and pillows. If you are planning on going on tours on home stays during your time in Swaziland, please bring your own sleeping bag.
The lodge is surrounded by a spacious garden with plenty of trees and boulders. You are likely to see monkeys roaming around the garden and a wide variety of birds attracted by the many plants. You can enjoy the large deck area, the campfire area, outdoor pool, TV lounge, communal barbecue and communal kitchen where the meals are prepared.
During the project you will be provided with three meals a day – some on a self-serve basis and others will be cooked for you. The meals are eaten together on the communal decking area. Breakfast and lunch are self-service and you can choose from a selection of cereals, bread, fruit, yogurt, eggs and spreads in the morning and bread, ham, cheese, salad and fruit for lunch. Dinner is a cooked meal and you can participate in its preparation on a rotational basis. The dishes include pasta, stir-fry, braai and stew. If you are a vegetarian or have food allergies this will be taken into consideration.
- Minimum age 18
- Minimum 4 weeks commitment
- Be able to communicate in English
- Be open minded, patient, adaptable and willing to embrace the challenges of the project
- Have a positive attitude towards living in a rural setting and working in a team
- Good mental and physical health – an appropriate level of fitness
- Necessary flights & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance – full assistance will be providing in arranging everything should you choose our Placement Support Package
* Currency is in GBP, check xe.com for the latest currency conversion rates
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
*** Places are confirmed with a 2 week deposit
Project Fee includes food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation, in-country support and project activities.
What’s not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Placement Support Package
For your trip, we will help you organise and plan everything you will need from start to finish. Our coordinators know each project & country like the back of their hand, and will be able to offer personalised advice to ensure your trip is well-planned & executed to perfection.
This includes one-to-one assistance planning and booking;
- Pre-departure Support – Flights, Visas, Vaccinations, Insurance, Essential Items and anything else you will need before you set off.
- Ongoing In-country Support – whilst you are on the project you can Contact us at any time with any questions or concerns and we will do whatever we can to help.
- 24/7 Emergency Support – a phone number that you or your family can ring at any time, night or day in case of emergency.
Our Placement Support Package costs £349 / $449 / €425 per person, and can be purchased once you are ready to confirm your place.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate