Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks, maximum 3 months
Start Dates: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
Cost: from $910 for the first 2 weeks – see ‘Costs’ tab for further details.
- Gain experience working for a TV station, preparing, editing and creating media content.
- And / or gain experience working for a national newspaper, preparing, editing and creating media content.
- Tailored journalism internship according to your interests and abilities.
- Opportunities for media professionals and students.
- Keywords: TV journalism, Print Journalism, editing room, documentary production, proof reading, English training.
Dramatic, landlocked Mongolia has been tipped by economists to become one of the fastest-growing economies in the next decade, and Mongolians are eager to learn English and gain exposure to Western culture and media. Mongolian television networks currently offer a variety of programming, from Mongolian-style videos to probing documentaries, yet programmers are eager to add a Western flavour to their programmes, from set designs to proper English pronunciation.
We are able to offer you the opportunity to gain experience working with one or all of the following media outlets in Mongolia – MNB (Mongolian National Broadcaster), the Mongol Messenger, the UB Post, TV5 and “Ekh Oron” TV.
You will help create content, shoot and edit videos and documentaries and will help work on the floor during newscasts. Helping staff members with their spoken English will also be an important part of your role. This is a very hands-on position in which you will work directly with the Director and the production team. For those looking to jumpstart a career in TV or Print production and are interested in cross-cultural exchange this opportunity can’t be beat!
The Mongol Messenger is the first English language newspaper published in Mongolia. It focuses on various aspects of Mongolia’s social, political, economic and cultural life. You will also have the opportunity to work on the ‘Mongolia Today’ magazine, which covers an even wider range of subjects, including Mongolian politics, economics, history, culture, tradition, climate, society, sports and lifestyle. The magazine was named Mongolia’s ‘Best Magazine’ of the year 2009 by the Confederation of Mongolian Journalists’ Union.
The UB Post was first founded in 1996 and has since become Mongolia’s leading English-language news outlet. As part of the broader Mongol News Group, The UB Post provides comprehensive coverage of social, economic and political developments in Mongolia and elsewhere. The company aims to provide the public with information which draws upon the broader Mongolian media market, bringing English language material to a global audience. In the special editions, they cover vital social and economic issues, drawing upon the knowledge of experts and the views of Mongolian citizens to develop a clear picture of contemporary Mongolian society.
TV5 is the first Internet broadcasting TV in Mongolia, was launched in January 2003 with the theme of “Developing Mongolia”. TV5, has been continuously initiating innovative projects in the field of television and provide news, programs widely available to all Mongolians who live and work in Mongolia as well as in foreign countries. Currently, TV5 has over 140 employees. TV5 has 3 channels that broadcast news and different programs everyday. TV5 has shows such as Dancing with the stars and Developing Mongolia, which were widely watched by Mongolians.
“Ekh Oron” TV was established in 2010 and in accordance with the special broadcasting rights by law, the TV is broadcasting TV programs of a high quality through air and cable broadcasting.
You can expect to get involved in the following;
- Editing English content
- Information Gathering and research
- Participate in meetings and conferences
- Proofread and format
- Social media management
- Teaching English to staff
- Assist in conducting onsite and personal interviews
- Participate in meetings and conferences
- Photography (optional)
- Other tasks may be discussed
- All activities are negotiable between the intern and the institution.
Travel & Accom.
You will be met at Ulaanbaatar International Airport by the project coordinator and taken to the project HQ by a project representative.
You will be staying with a Mongolian family in a homestay. You will get your own private room, with shared bathroom. Our coordinator will make sure you are comfortable and happy. Be sure to state your preferences with us when applying. All food is included in the homestay option, you will need to cook for yourself if you opt to stay in the apartment.
- Min age 18
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment – 40 hours a week.
- Previous knowledge and experience in Journalism
- Good English skills
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flights & visas
|2 weeks||3 weeks||4 weeks||5 weeks||6 weeks||7 weeks||8 weeks||9 weeks|
* Places is confirmed with a $500 deposit, balance payment is due 4 weeks prior to your arrival.
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
*** for Currency Conversions, check out xe.com
Project Fee includes;
- Mongolian language lessons
- Airport pickup
- In-country support
- Project activities.
What’s not included:
- Visas (if applicable)
Full support will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Placement Support Package
For your trip, we will help you organise and plan everything you will need from start to finish. Our coordinators know each project & country like the back of their hand, and will be able to offer personalised advice to ensure your trip is well-planned & executed to perfection.
This includes one-to-one assistance planning and booking;
- Pre-departure Support – Flights, Visas, Vaccinations, Insurance, Essential Items and anything else you will need before you set off.
- Ongoing In-country Support – whilst you are on the project you can Contact us at any time with any questions or concerns and we will do whatever we can to help.
- 24/7 Emergency Support – a phone number that you or your family can ring at any time, night or day in case of emergency.
Our Placement Support Package costs £349 / $449 / €425 per person, and can be purchased once you are ready to confirm your place.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate