Location: Esparza, Costa Rica.
Duration: Minimum 1 week commitment
Cost: from £375 GBP Project Fee for the 1st week – see Costs tab for more information
Includes: 3 meals a day, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- This volunteer teaching project is a very hands-on and is an opportunity to make a big difference to the schools and community centre.
- By improving local educational opportunities, we help develop pride in our schools for kids and teachers
- Costa Rica offers amazing experiences such as surfing in the South Pacific coastal region, visiting Marino Ballena National Park, relaxing on the endless beaches, hiking to waterfalls, enjoying great healthy food
- Immerse yourself in Costa Rican culture, people and food.
The opportunity to study English is highly valued within the communities we work with. Our students are eager to learn and participate. Many classrooms are overcrowded with a single teacher. Other rooms are left empty because there is no money to pay teachers. However, there are countless eager students who want and deserve an education.
For countries like Costa Rica with minimal financial resources it can be challenging to provide adequate education to students. Children, teenagers and young adults in these communities are very grateful for the opportunity to practice their conversation skills, and learn grammar with native English speakers. As Costa Rica is increasingly becoming the tourism capital of Central America, English is a prerequisite for students.
With the support of the local government and educational board, our project has access to teach in many schools in the local area. Our program consists of working with students between the ages of 5 to 19, teaching mainly English language classes, usually English, however we also have demand for French, German and Mandarin Chinese.
Some of the larger schools have their own English teachers, but the teachers often struggle, and your help is needed. It is important to understand that the methods of teaching are less important than the attitude of the teacher towards the students. Your enthusiasm and initiative will be used to your full potential!
The teaching program serves a dual purpose; it is meant to help children in rural Costa Rica to have a chance to learn another language with a mother tongue speaker, but it also to benefit you, by giving you an insight into the Costa Rican education system as well as an excellent opportunity to become good friends with students, teachers and even parents, and so take a full role in the community.
Travel & Accommodation
You will be met at San Jose International Airport by a project representative and brought to the project HQ upon arrival.
Your new home will be one of two newly built eco houses in our centre in Esparza: Jaguar House and Toucan House.
The two houses sleep up to 22 people. Most rooms have bunk beds and are shared on a single gender. One room in each house has a bunk bed with a double bed below, single above, suitable for couples or small families, if needed. (Private rooms can be obtained at additional cost; this must be arranged before arriving for your program).
All doors are lockable, but as rooms are shared, and we carry out regular cleaning, we recommend that you don’t lock your rooms.
There is also a large dining hall/games room/communal area shared by both houses, with free WiFi, and table tennis, and a large garden of tropical plants, including coconut palm, papaya, banana, and citrus
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 1 week commitment
- Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Fluent English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
* 30% deposit required to confirm your place. The balance will be due 4 weeks prior to your departure.
** For the latest currency conversions, go to xe.com.
*** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
- Airport pickup & transfer to the project (including first night stay in hostel)
- Program Coordination & Orientation
- Emergency and 24/7 In-Country Support
- Accommodation and 3 Meals Daily, 2 meals on weekends.
- Certificate of Participation in Program including Volunteer or Internship Hours
- Resume Support upon Completion of Program
What’s Not included
- Additional meals, drinks, and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate