Location: Esparza, Costa Rica.
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks commitment
Cost: from £450 GBP Project Fee per week – see Costs tab for more information
Includes: 3 meals a day, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- This volunteer teaching project is a very hands-on and is an opportunity to make a big difference to the schools and community centre.
- By improving local educational opportunities, we help develop pride in our schools for kids and teachers
- Costa Rica offers amazing experiences such as surfing in the South Pacific coastal region, visiting Marino Ballena National Park, relaxing on the endless beaches, hiking to waterfalls, enjoying great healthy food
- Immerse yourself in Costa Rican culture, people and food.
In the communities we serve, the opportunity to study English is a highly sought-after privilege. Our students are enthusiastic learners, eager to participate and improve their skills. Unfortunately, many classrooms are overcrowded with only one teacher, and others are left empty due to budget constraints. Despite these challenges, there are countless deserving students who are determined to receive a quality education.
This is particularly true in countries like Costa Rica, where limited financial resources make it difficult to provide adequate education. Children, teenagers, and young adults in these communities are incredibly grateful for the chance to practice their conversation skills and improve their grammar with native English speakers. As Costa Rica continues to establish itself as the tourism capital of Central America, English proficiency has become an essential skill for students to acquire.
Our mission is to provide these eager students with the tools they need to succeed. Through our English language programs, we offer them the opportunity to learn from experienced native English speakers, who are passionate about sharing their knowledge and expertise. By investing in the education of these students, we are helping to build a brighter future for them and their communities.
We believe that everyone deserves access to quality education, regardless of their financial resources. That’s why we are committed to making a difference in the lives of our students, one classroom at a time. Join us in our mission to transform lives through education.
With the support of the local government and educational board, our project has access to teach in many schools in the local area. Our program consists of working with students between the ages of 5 to 19, teaching mainly English language classes, usually English, however we also have demand for French, German and Mandarin Chinese.
Some of the larger schools have their own English teachers, but the teachers often struggle, and your help is needed. It is important to understand that the methods of teaching are less important than the attitude of the teacher towards the students. Your enthusiasm and initiative will be used to your full potential!
The teaching program serves a dual purpose; it is meant to help children in rural Costa Rica to have a chance to learn another language with a mother tongue speaker, but it also to benefit you, by giving you an insight into the Costa Rican education system as well as an excellent opportunity to become good friends with students, teachers and even parents, and so take a full role in the community.
Travel & Accommodation
You will be met at San Jose International Airport by a project representative and brought to the project HQ upon arrival.
Your new home will be one of two newly built eco houses in our centre in Esparza: Jaguar House and Toucan House.
The two houses sleep up to 22 people. Most rooms have bunk beds and are shared on a single gender. One room in each house has a bunk bed with a double bed below, single above, suitable for couples or small families, if needed. (Private rooms can be obtained at additional cost; this must be arranged before arriving for your program).
All doors are lockable, but as rooms are shared, and we carry out regular cleaning, we recommend that you don’t lock your rooms.
There is also a large dining hall/games room/communal area shared by both houses, with free WiFi, and table tennis, and a large garden of tropical plants, including coconut palm, papaya, banana, and citrus
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment
- Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Fluent English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
£450 GBP project fee per week.
* 30% deposit required to confirm your place. The balance will be due 4 weeks prior to your departure.
** For the latest currency conversions, go to xe.com.
*** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
- Airport pickup & transfer to the project
- Program Coordination & Orientation
- Emergency and 24/7 In-Country Support
- Accommodation and 3 Meals Daily, 2 meals on weekends.
- Certificate of Participation in Program including Volunteer or Internship Hours
- Resume Support upon Completion of Program
What’s Not included
- Additional meals, drinks, and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate