Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Duration: Minimum 2 months, Maximum 6 months commitment
Start Dates: Project is ongoing, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
Cost: from $490 USD – see Costs tab for further details
- Work in a community-based NGO, researching, producing, filming and editing videos and photographs.
- Hands-on experience in the Communications and Marketing department of a dynamic NGO Ideal for film, video and photography students.
- Keywords: video production, journalism, photography, media content, serious internship, community development
After experiencing long years of dictatorship in the 70’s and 80’s, Argentina developed a vibrant civil society and NGO sector to protect the interests of vulnerable groups and hold the government to account. The NGO you will be working with supports various social initiatives in and around Buenos Aires, and they constantly need to attract volunteers and funding for their many activities.
Working within the Communications and Marketing team, you will help produce, film and edit videos and photography. As a member of the team, you will conduct research and gather information during the week, which involves getting to know the community centres and the many other projects this NGO supports. You will also interview other volunteers within the organisations, create video testimonials, edit pictures and translate subtitle texts.
In order to be a valuable member of the team it is important that you possess plenty of initiative, proactivity, team-working skills and empathy to join the activities of the area. It is also advisable you bring your own laptop and camera to work more comfortably.
In your free time you will have the opportunity to explore Buenos Aires, known as the ‘Paris of South America’ for its exquisite architecture, rich music and arts scene, world-renowned cuisine, and an exciting, varied nightlife.
You are expected to work around 20 hours a week. You will be involved in a number of tasks such as:
- Producing videos for the organisation, conducting interviews, editing photographs and translating texts.
- Working as part of a team together with your coordinator and fellow volunteers in the communications department on the production of video content and images portraying the work of the organisation.
- Participating in the volunteer activities to collect information, creating videos and photos for publication on the volunteer blog, social networks and newsletters.
- Interviewing other volunteers in order to create videos documenting their experiences, testimonials and stories.
- Editing photos and videos with subtitles in English.
What should you expect?
- We are a small 4-people social organization and we do not have professionals in communications, that is why we mostly rely on the work of volunteers. It is very different to work in a context where most people don’t speak English and there is no professional guidance, so that is why we mostly require an intermediate level of Spanish and proactivity from our volunteers (evaluating your work in other contexts does not really tell us anything about your proactivity).
- Organizations are not perfect places. You have to always be open minded: understand the dynamics that imply working in vulnerable zones and with social communities.
- Work in an independent environment where you’ll have the freedom to come up with your own ideas and be creative. Keep in mind that things may not work the way you want and nevertheless you should have an inventive spirit to find a way through this, no matter the circumstances the projects sometimes have.
- Getting to know local communities, understand their culture, their language and their realities. This will enrich your critical thinking and your perspective.
What we expect from you?
Someone excited to work in a selfless way, willing to always help, no matter if this sometimes means things can change and you’ll have to readjust to new plans.
Travel & Accom.
You will be given easy to follow instructions on how to get from Ministro Pistarini International Airport (Ezeiza) to the Project HQ in central Buenos Aires. Alternatively we can arrange for you to be met at the airport for an additional $90 USD.
You will be staying in a Student Residence near the office. You will have access to Internet Wi-Fi, a communal kitchen, bathrooms, storage closet, bar/common area, tourist information, laundry services, DVD room, library, book exchange, and housekeeping services. Located in a renovated historic building with a great atmosphere in the heart of the city, you are extremely close to the subte (subway), buses, and trains.
There is no curfew, and you will have a real chance to practice Spanish and immerse yourself in Argentine culture with students and people who conduct workshops for youth and adults. If you want, you can participate in interesting meetings, dinners and parties with other volunteers.
There are also the options to stay with a host family or rent your own apartment. Please discuss this us when applying.
- Minimum age 18.
- Intermediate skills in Spanish (lessons available).
- Previous knowledge of video editing software and photography.
- Your own camera and laptop for editing.
- Interest and enthusiasm for community development project.
- Necessary vaccinations, flights & visas.
- Full travel & medical insurance.
Accommodation with us is optional. You are also free to rent an apartment nearby if you do not wish to stay at our volunteer guesthouse.
|Project fee*||with Accommodation|
* All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee.
** Places are confirmed with a 15% deposit
*** Check xe.com for the latest currency conversions
Project Fee includes accommodation, project placement, in-country support and a two-day orientation to Buenos Aires.
What’s not included:
All food, flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full support will be provided in getting all these arranged if you opt for premium support.
You should budget around $10-15 a day for food.
Airport pickup available for an additional $90.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators. We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate