Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Duration: Minimum 1 month, maximum 5 months commitment
Start Dates: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
Cost: €325 Euros per week – see costs tab for further details.
- Medical internship placement in a Nepalese hospital working alongside local doctors and support staff
- Flexible placement, tailored according to your interests and abilities
- Opportunity to experience the Nepalese Health Sector and increase your medical speciality skills
- Keywords: medical internship, hospital placement, flexible serious internship
Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world, yet one of the richest in terms of culture and heritage. With snow capped mountains, Buddhist monasteries and vibrant people it is an amazing place to spend time in and call home.
The aim of the Medical Internship programme is to provide general medical, community healthcare, and to promote health education to a local community in Nepal. If you are a medical/nursing student or a healthcare professional, you can contribute directly to your chosen specialization, including: gynaecology, paediatrician, general medicine, nursing, emergency, pharmacy, occupational therapy, dentistry, etc.
We offer On-the-Job and field Placement Training for international academic groups, pre-med and individuals. We can provide more than one placement during your stay. The placements will be in different areas of the country including Lalitpur, Kathmandu, Parbat and Lamjung districts. Most of our health centers are located in villages.
As part of this placement, you will need to attend our Introduction week. During this week, you will learn about Nepalese culture through a series of introductory culture classes which are designed to help you develop your Nepalese language skills and deepen your understanding of the Nepalese way of life complete with details on rituals and customs. You will learn about Nepal’s history and the religious inﬂuences which have shaped it. Moreover, we will pay a visit the local shops and markets that will get you learning as you go with the local culture and how to become a part of it. As part of your city tour and orientation, you will also visit some amazing sites such as the temple of Boudhanath: one of the most sacred Buddhist sites in Kathmandu whose ancient spherical stupa dominates the skyline and is one of the largest in the world.
Our transfer coordinator will meet you at the meeting point in the airport upon your arrival and arrange your transfer to the center on Sunday.
Puja to the gods & goddess and name-giving ceremony
Go over the week’s schedule and handling of documents
Introduction game to get to know fellow participants
Cultural seminar on social behavioral norms, dos & don’ts in Nepalese culture. Intercultural eating and drinking habits, bathing and clothings customs in Nepalese culture.
A little assignment for you to explore your neighbourhood and find local civic places such as banks (ATM), temples, schools, restaurants etc.
A social interactive session to know each other and an opportunity to bring out concerns about your health etc so that we will be aware.
Nepali language training
Shopping to the local market
Orientation tour of the city of Nepal with an interesting game called “Scavenger Hunt”, we will tell you more about this when you are here
A talk on schooling and education system in Nepal and placement sites
A cultural as well as historical orientation tour to the famous Boudhanath temple
Nepali cooking session
Yoga and meditation
A Buddhist religious tour
A local tour to the Hindu Temple
It’s all about hiking today! We will go on a nature trail into the mountains to get a view of Kathmandu valley.
Feedback sharing (evaluation)
On the following Monday you will begin your placement.
Our health centre is based on the universal principles of Primary Health Care. It means the health centre provides an integrated approach of essential health care. For example;
- General Health: services that include general OPD, community mental health clinic, community oral health clinic, community TB DOTS services, pharmacy, emergency, minor surgical procedure, clinical laboratory under health micro-insurance scheme.
- MCH and Rh services: vaccinations, family planning, well-baby clinic, ANC/PNC, birthing centre, out-reach MCH clinics.
- Nutrition services: Direct Weighting Scale clinic, routine child growth monitoring, nutrition education, rehabilitation for malnutrition cases, home based malnutrition follow up, production, promotion and marketing of Super Flour.
- School health activities: Oral health services, reproductive health education and awareness.
- Environmental health services.
- Short-term training for community volunteers, and health professionals.
- Internship and field placement training for students and professionals. If you want to do a public health survey, it would also be possible. Please discuss your ideas and requirements with us.
- Management of health care delivery system of Nepal.
- Operational approach of cost effective rural health care system.
- Approach of rural community mobilization for sustainability of health care.
Travel & Accom.
You will be met at Kathmandu International Airport by a project representative and taken to the HQ in Kathmandu for a week’s orientation, cultural immersion and basic language course. You will then be taken to your chosen project location to commence your placement.
You will be placed with a local host family. They will provide you with 2 meals a day (vegetarian options available), a shared bathroom, clothes washing facilities, and you will not be further than 30 minutes walk from your place of work.
The typical Nepalese meal is ‘daal, bhaat, tarkaari’ (lentil soup, rice and vegetables) also other food like noodles, ‘roti’ (flat round bread) and different kinds of seasonal fruits and vegetables are eaten. You will eat the same food as the family everyday.
- Min age 18 – Max age 65
- You must be studying medicine, or have a medical background
- Able to work at high altitude
- Reasonable physical fitness
- Motivation to work in medicine / healthcare
- Minimum 4 weeks including the Introductory week
- Good English
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Full Vaccinations
- Necessary flights & visas – Full assistance to get all this arranged available with our Premium Support.
In addition to this placement, we have partnered with Intrepid Travel to offer this exciting additional trip to add some travel & adventure to your internship. You would be able to include this trip before or after your placement.
Trek through the incredible Annapurna region and be awed by the Nepalese Himalayas. These snow-capped peaks, mist-shrouded valleys, isolated communities and remote monasteries will inspire those with a bold spirit and a yearning for a definitive nature experience. Reach altitudes of more than 5,000 m, discover the ancestral traditions of the local people and immerse yourself completely in the spectacular mountain wilderness of the Annapurna Circuit.
- Trek to isolated monasteries
- Kick back in Pokhara’s lakeside cafes
- Experience mountain culture and traditions
- Soak up breathtaking Himalayan scenery
- Meet the cheeky inhabitants of the ‘Monkey Temple’ in colourful Kathmandu
- Be welcomed by Bandipur’s friendly locals
- Complete the challenging Annapurna Circuit
Day 1 Kathmandu
Experience the eclectic sights of Kathmandu. Be sure to visit the ‘Monkey Temple’, the bustling street markets and Durbar Square. Get up-to-date with mountaineering information and learn about minimum-impact trekking at KEEP, the Kathmandu Environmental Education Project.
Day 2 Bandipur
Be blown away by the fantastic views of the Annapurna and Manaslu mountain ranges and the friendliness of the locals on a stroll through this Newari trading village. Perhaps take a walk to the eastern part of town to visit the pagoda-roofed Bindabasini Temple, which is the abode of Bandipur’s guardian goddess, Durga.
Days 3-19 Annapurna Circuit
Trek through rugged mountain scenery by day and relax in cosy teahouses at night. Pause along the way to gaze at the scenery, snap a photograph and acclimatise to the dramatic altitudes. Complete a loop of the Annapurnas – cross icy rivers, traverse broad plains and climb alpine passes. Pass through sub-tropical forests, dense pine forests and deep, wooded canyons embellished by stunning waterfalls. Enjoy views of some of the highest peaks in the ranges – Annapurna II, Annapurna III, Gangapurna and Chulu East. Say “hello” to yak and goat herders on grassy steppes and visit remote mountain monasteries to soak up Nepalese history, culture and tradition. Cross Thorung Pass – the highest on this trip at 5,416 m – and take a moment to revel in the adrenaline rush that comes with such a grand achievement.
Day 20 Pokhara
This peaceful, lakeside town rests beneath the snow-capped peaks of the Annapurna Ranges and is the perfect base to rest weary limbs, reflect on a tremendous adventure and relax with a hot drink at a lakeside cafe. Those who still have energy can wander around Pokhara and get to know its friendly residents.
Days 21-22 Kathmandu
Enjoy free time to continue sightseeing or shopping for Nepalese clothing, embroidery, carpets and ceramics. The neighbouring towns of Patan and Bhaktapur are also well worth a visit.
Guesthouse (4 nts), Teahouse (17 nts)
An experienced regional tour guide plus the services of local guides at some sites. All transport, accommodation, sightseeing and entrance fees as indicated.
What’s Not Included
International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
From £775 (approx. $950 USD) for 7 days trip. Exact price available upon request.
€325 Euros per week
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 1 week deposit
Project Fee includes food, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation, in-country support and project activities.
Private rooms are available for an additional €100 per week.
What’s not included:
Flights, insurance, visas (if applicable) and vaccinations. Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.