Location: Mahe, Seychelles
Duration: 4-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Weekly project starts on a Saturday.
Price: from £4,545 for 4 weeks. Check the Prices tab for further information.
- Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, pre-departure orientation & training and all project related activities
- Does not include: Flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Assist with coral reef recovery research, coral reef rehabilitation, and other marine conservation initiatives.
- Earn your PADI Advanced Open Water and PADI Coral Reef Research Diver certificates.
- Contribute to United Nations Sustainable Development Goal #14, Life Below Water.
- Explore various dive sites searching for the incredible ‘mega-fauna’ in the region, such as sharks, rays, and dolphins.
- Experience diving in a destination renowned as one of the top diving sites in the world. Take other extra dive courses with local dive shops.
Live the island life in the Seychelles while contributing to the conservation of the marine ecosystem.
Interns will be PADI dive trained in order to effectively complete necessary data collection on the coral reef without causing any damage. Upon completion of this internship, you will receive your PADI Advanced Open Water and the unique speciality PADI Coral Reef Researcher.
All data collected is passed on to local authorities in order that they may implement new protection policies to ensure long term survival of the marine ecosystem in the Seychelles. You could also expect to participate in dives against debris, community outreach activities and environmental education classes.
You will be motivated to generate new solutions and propose new elements to improve contribution to conservation in the Seychelles.
Interns are required to complete weekly assignments and host leadership days. While on program, interns are supported by a dedicated mentor.
This internship includes three online courses which must be completed in order to obtain a certificate offered in partnership with the University of Richmond in the United States:
- Marine Conservation
- Leadership Training
- Career Development
After successful completion of this internship, you will be offered two career coaching sessions as well as gain access to a job portal.
Are you looking to pursue a career in conservation? Why not upgrade to a career internship.
The career upgrade offers you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience by working with partner orginisations in multiple locations. This combination of having a virtual experience on top of on the ground experience are qualities that are highly sought after by employers.
Do you have an independent research topic to complete? Why not upgrade to an research internship.
Gain valuable experience and collect data for a dissertation or thesis. This program offers virtual check ins with a research supervisor who has extensive experience and credentials in this sector. As a research intern, your main focus will be collecting or analyzing data and writing a paper.
JOB GUARANTEE: for both the Career & Research internship, we offer a job guarantee for those who join for a minimum of 6 months with a 50% cash back guarantee (terms and conditions apply).
Get in touch for more information!
Participants are expected to remain flexible as project work changes based on weather as well as needs of our project partners.
- 5 or 6am: Wake up call
- 6 – 10 am: First Dive
- 12pm: Lunch
- 1pm – 4pm: Second Dive
- 6pm: Dinner
- 9pm: Bed Time
Travel & Accommodation
Accommodation & Food:
Only 3 minutes walk from the beach, our eco friendly research base is situated in the Baie Ternay Marine National Park.
Accommodation facilities are shared dormitories and can be considered basic.
Typical Seychelles meals can be expected, all ingredients are provided by us however participants take it in turns to prepare meals. We can cater for most dietary requirements.
Health & Hygiene:
The work we contribute to across the globe remains important and new measures allow our participants to continue to join our programs and continue impacting positively on their world and the communities we work with. Changes to our existing protocols have been made by our health and hygiene team to strengthen our health and hygiene protocols and ensure that international standard safeguards are in place to protect our participants, staff and host communities. Please inquire for more information on the protocols.
By participating in this program, you are not only offered an opportunity to work toward conserving ecosystems but also the opportunity to see local sites! Our dedicated field staff are the best resource when researching local trips, they have compiled this list of activities.
These side trips are not included in the program fee but are highly recommended:
- Victoria City
- Inner island hopping (Praslin, La Digue, Silhouette Felicity and Sister)
- Hiking and climbing
- Water sports
- Beau Vallon Bay
- Cap Matoopa Hike
- Recreational Diving
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 1 week commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
- 4 weeks – £4,545
- 6 weeks – £5,595
- 8 weeks – £6,545
- 10 weeks – £7,545
- 12 weeks – £8,445
- 14 weeks – £9,295
- 16 weeks – £10,145
- 18 weeks – £10,995
- 20 weeks – £11,845
- 22 weeks – £12,695
- 24 weeks – £13,545
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a deposit.
*Discounts are available for start dates after September 2021*
Project Fee includes;
- 24-hour emergency desk
24-hour in-country support
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Airport pick-up (unless otherwise stated)
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- Certification and summary of training and experience received
- Community work workshop
- Confidential professional reference
- Coral reef ecology
- Diving compressor training workshop
- First Aid & CPR training
- Location orientation
- Long term experienced staff
- Meals while on project (except on work placements for long term internships)
- Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
- Teamwork and leadership experience
- Use of O2 equipment workshop
- Weekly evaluation with your mentor
- Welcome meeting
- 2 sessions with a career coach
- Online courses endorsed by University of Richmond in the United States
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- COVID-19: Health and Hygiene Fee
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal dive kit, e.g. mask, fins, wetsuit, timer etc.
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate