Location: Tenerife, Canaray Islands
Duration: 1-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Weekly project starts on a Saturday.
Price: from £1,295 for 1 week. Check the Prices tab for further information.
- Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, pre-departure orientation & training and all project related activities
- Does not include: Flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Contribute to critical dolphin & whale conservation initiatives
- Experience the beautiful beaches Tenerife has to offer
- Opportunity to complete courses offered in partnership with the University of Richmond in the United States
- See Whales & Dolphins in their natural habitat
Join this ethical whale and dolphin conservation based in Tenerife, Canary Islands which is around 3-5 hours away from most big cities in Europe.
This project aims to raise awareness around unsustainable tourism practices that pose a threat on the 20-28 species of dolphin and whale species in the area.
A big portion of your project is spent educating tourists on ethical watching tours, taking photographs and recording numbers and behaviors of the whale and dolphins, beach cleans and documenting any environmental impacts that may affect overall health of marine life in the area.
All data collected is used by local organizations to make important decisions about whether there is a need for environmental policies to protect the wild and marine life.
This program includes an optional marine conservation online courses which must be completed in order to obtain a certificate offered in partnership with the University of Richmond in the United States.
Get in touch for more information!
Participants are expected to remain flexible as project work changes based on weather as well as needs of our project partners.
- 5 or 6am: Wake up call
- 6 – 10 am: Data collection
- 12pm: Lunch
- 1pm – 4pm: Data collection/beach clean
- 6pm: Dinner
- 9pm: Bed Time
Travel & Accommodation
Accommodation & Food:
Our base in Tenerife is located just a short walk from 3 main harbors. Accommodation will be in shared rooms in a house on the island.
All meals are provided on project and participants take it in turn to prepare meals for the group.
Health & Hygiene:
The work we contribute to across the globe remains important and new measures allow our participants to continue to join our programs and continue impacting positively on their world and the communities we work with. Changes to our existing protocols have been made by our health and hygiene team to strengthen our health and hygiene protocols and ensure that international standard safeguards are in place to protect our participants, staff and host communities. Please inquire for more information on the protocols.
By participating in this program, you are not only offered an opportunity to work toward conserving ecosystems but also the opportunity to see local sites! Our dedicated field staff are the best resource when researching local trips, they have compiled this list of activities.
These side trips are not included in the program fee but are highly recommended:
- La Lagua
- Macizo De Anaga Biosphere Reserve
- Recreational Diving or Snorkeling
- Teide National Park
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 1 week commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
- 1 week – £1,595
- 2 weeks – £1,845
- 4 weeks – £2,295
- 6 weeks – £2,745
- 8 weeks – £3,195
- 10 weeks – £3,695
- 12 weeks – £4,145
* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate