Location: Phang Nga, Thailand
Duration: 4-12 weeks commitment
Start Dates: Weekly project starts on a Saturday.
Price: from £2,745 for 4 weeks. Check the Prices tab for further information.
- Includes: All food, accommodation, airport pickup, pre-departure orientation & training and all project related activities
- Does not include: Flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Make a sustainable long lasting impact in a pristine location
- Opportunity to complete courses offered in partnership with the University of Richmond in the United States
- Access to a job portal
- Developing valuable skills needed for a career in conservation
- Learn how to conduct scientific biological surveys
Work alongside the Thai government on turtle conservation projects to work towards the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals #14, Life below Water and #15 Life on Land.
As an intern you could expect to be involved in sea turtle conservation activities; beach clean ups to reduce plastic pollution; island conservation activities which involves travelling to a remote island to conduct camera trap, bird and butterfly as well as biodiversity surveys; and environmental education for local community members.
You will be motivated to generate new solutions and propose new elements to improve contribution to conservation in Thailand.
Interns are required to complete weekly assignments and host leadership days. While on program, interns are supported by a dedicated mentor.
This internship includes three online courses which must be completed in order to obtain a certificate offered in partnership with the University of Richmond in the United States:
- Marine Conservation
- Leadership Training
- Career Development
After successful completion of this internship, you will be offered two career coaching sessions as well as gain access to a job portal.
Are you looking to pursue a career in conservation? Why not upgrade to a career internship.
The career upgrade offers you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience by working with partner orginisations in multiple locations. This combination of having a virtual experience on top of on the ground experience are qualities that are highly sought after by employers.
Do you have an independent research topic to complete? Why not upgrade to an research internship.
Gain valuable experience and collect data for a dissertation or thesis. This program offers virtual check ins with an academic supervisor who has extensive experience and credentials in this sector. As a research intern, your main focus will be collecting or analyzing data and writing a paper.
JOB GUARANTEE: for both the Career & Research internship, we offer a job guarantee for those who join for a minimum of 6 months with a 50% cash back guarantee (terms and conditions apply).
Get in touch for more information!
Participants are expected to remain flexible as project work changes based on weather as well as needs of our project partners.
- 5 or 6am: Wake up call
- 6 – 10 am: First Survey/Work at the Turtle Center
- 12pm: Lunch
- 1pm – 4pm: Second Survey
- 6pm: Dinner
- 9pm: Bed Time
As an intern you will have weekly sessions with your mentor.
Travel & Accommodation
Accommodation & Food:
You will be living with the other volunteers in shared accommodation with a local host family. You will have a shared (same gender) room with an en-suite bathroom.
All meals are provided on project, breakfast and dinner is prepared by the host family. Vegetarians and vegans are easily catered for.
Health & Hygiene:
The work we contribute to across the globe remains important and new measures allow our participants to continue to join our programs and continue impacting positively on their world and the communities we work with. Changes to our existing protocols have been made by our health and hygiene team to strengthen our health and hygiene protocols and ensure that international standard safeguards are in place to protect our participants, staff and host communities. Please inquire for more information on the protocols.
By participating in this program, you are not only offered an opportunity to work toward conserving ecosystems but also the opportunity to see local sites! Our dedicated field staff are the best resource when researching local trips, they have compiled this list of activities.
These side trips are not included in the program fee but are highly recommended:
- Krabi Province
- Phuket Island & City
- Island Hopping
- Explore some of the top beaches
- Khao Lak
- Khao Sok National park
- Phang Nga Bay
- Mu Koh Chang National Park
- Koh Tao Island
- Kao Yai National Park
- Nan Province
- Chiang Mai
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 1 week commitment
- CRB Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Good English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance. Full assistance will be provided in getting everything you will need ready if you choose our Placement Support Package.
- 4 weeks – £2,945
- 6 weeks – £3,595
- 8 weeks – £4,245
- 10 weeks – £4,945
- 12 weeks – £5,595
- 14 weeks – £5,895
- 16 weeks – £6,445
- 18 weeks – £6,795
- 20 weeks – £7,345
- 22 weeks – £7,895
- 24 weeks – £8,445
** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee* Check the latest currency conversions with xe.com
*** Placements are confirmed with a 20% deposit.
Project Fee includes;
- 24-hour emergency desk
- 24-hour in-country support
- Access to Alumni Services and Discounts
- Airport pick-up (unless otherwise stated)
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- Location orientation
- Long term experienced staff
- Meals while on project (except on work placements for long term internships)
- Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
- Welcome meeting
- 2 sessions with a career mentor
- Online courses endorsed by University of Richmond in the United States
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- COVID-19: Health and Hygiene Fee
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Personal kit
- Police or background check
- Visa costs
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate