Location: Osa, Costa Rica.
Duration: Minimum 2 weeks commitment
Cost: from £1000 GBP Project Fee per week – see Costs tab for more information
Includes: 3 meals a day, accommodation, airport pickup, orientation and all project related activities
Does not Include: flights, travel insurance, visas and vaccinations
- Protecting sea turtles and their nesting grounds in the northern Caribbean.
- Engaging in nightly patrols to observe nesting turtles and collect biometric data.
- Safeguarding precious turtle eggs by relocating nests to safer areas and monitoring them until hatching.
- Assisting hatchlings on their journey to the sea during hatchling liberation.
- Contributing to the conservation of the local ecosystem through beach cleaning, reforestation work, and construction of vital hatcheries.
Welcome to an extraordinary opportunity to make a real difference in the world of conservation! Picture yourself alongside passionate biologists and local experts as you embark on an unforgettable adventure in a remote, tranquil corner accessible only by boat. Get ready to immerse yourself in a breathtaking environment teeming with diverse wildlife, where you’ll encounter not only majestic sea turtles but also curious monkeys, graceful sloths, and elusive caimans – a wildlife haven like no other, even rivaling the famed national parks!
Your mission is clear – protect and nurture these gentle giants, the sea turtles, and ensure their survival for generations to come. As a valued member of the team, you’ll be involved in various tasks, ranging from collecting and processing biometric data to safeguarding precious eggs in a specially designed nursery. But that’s not all – imagine guiding adorable hatchlings and adult turtles back to their aquatic home, away from potential dangers. The experience is truly hands-on and will leave you with a sense of fulfillment like no other.
The level of your involvement will depend on your own expertise and knowledge, but don’t worry, there’s room for everyone. The project is flexible and will cater to your abilities and interests, offering you a chance to learn and grow while contributing to vital conservation efforts. The team at the center will guide you, providing the necessary training and support to make your experience both enjoyable and impactful.
Living in this idyllic setting comes with a touch of simplicity and sustainability. Embrace evenings illuminated by soft solar panel-powered lights, allowing you to immerse yourself in the natural beauty of your surroundings without intrusive artificial illumination. The sense of connection with nature will be unmatched as you patrol the beaches, keeping a keen eye out for sea turtles laying their precious eggs. You might find yourself rebuilding defenses to protect these nesting sites from the relentless ocean or even establishing a safe haven in the form of a hatchery.
The thrill of the nighttime beach patrols will stay etched in your memory forever. Accompanied by an experienced patrol leader, you’ll walk along a designated sector of the beach, scanning for nesting females. Once a turtle is discovered, the team will meticulously gather crucial information about her, measuring her length and width, noting the nest’s location and size, and counting the number of eggs laid. Witnessing this awe-inspiring natural process up close will leave you in awe.
But the journey doesn’t end there. As part of the team, you’ll carefully relocate the eggs to the hatchery to ensure they’re protected from potential threats. The future of these hatchlings lies in your capable hands, and every step you take will have a direct impact on their survival.
To respect the sensitivities of these remarkable creatures, only red light is permitted during patrols. It’s a magical experience to explore the nocturnal world of wildlife in the soft glow, preserving the turtles’ natural environment while observing their behavior without disruption.
So, if you’re seeking an adventure that combines conservation, wildlife exploration, and hands-on work with a close-knit team, look no further. This is your chance to be a guardian of the sea turtles, leaving a lasting legacy for the planet and forging unforgettable memories along the way. Get ready to unlock a world of wonder and join us in this rewarding journey towards safeguarding the future of these incredible marine creatures!
Get ready for an action-packed adventure as you take on an array of vital tasks and responsibilities that directly impact the conservation efforts of sea turtles and their precious habitats! Your journey as a guardian of these magnificent creatures will be filled with exciting challenges and meaningful experiences.
- Night Beach Patrols: Under the starlit sky, you’ll embark on thrilling night beach patrols, accompanied by seasoned leaders. As you traverse the secluded shores, you’ll be on high alert for nesting turtles, an awe-inspiring sight that never fails to mesmerize.
- Collecting Biometric Data: Immerse yourself in the world of scientific research as you collect essential biometric data from the nesting turtles. Measuring their dimensions and carefully recording other critical information will contribute to our understanding of these magnificent beings.
- Day/Night Hatchery Duties: In the hatchery, you’ll play a vital role in safeguarding the future generations of sea turtles. By day and night, you’ll ensure the nests are protected and monitored, creating a safe haven for the precious eggs to thrive.
- Beach Cleaning: As part of our commitment to preserving pristine environments, you’ll engage in beach cleaning efforts. Removing debris and waste will create a safer and more welcoming habitat for both turtles and visitors alike.
- Relocating of Nests: Sometimes, nature needs a helping hand. You’ll be involved in the delicate task of relocating nests to safer locations, ensuring the highest chances of successful hatching.
- Nest Monitoring: Witness the miracle of life unfold as you monitor the nests, eagerly awaiting the hatching of the tiny turtle hatchlings. Your vigilance will be rewarded with unforgettable moments of new life entering the world.
- Hatchling Liberation: Experience pure joy and a sense of accomplishment as you assist the hatchlings on their incredible journey to the sea. Guiding them safely to the water will be a memory that stays with you forever.
- General Maintenance: The well-being of the center and its surroundings is crucial. Engage in general maintenance tasks, from tending to facilities to keeping the area pristine for the comfort of both humans and wildlife.
- Reforestation Work: Step into the role of a nurturer as you collect and sort seeds, and take part in the planting of saplings. Your efforts will contribute to restoring and preserving the local ecosystem.
- Basic Construction Work: Unleash your creativity and skills as you take part in construction projects, such as building hatcheries. These structures will serve as vital sanctuaries for the turtles’ eggs.
As you dive into these rewarding tasks, you’ll discover a profound connection to nature and a deep understanding of the delicate balance required to protect our marine friends. Your dedication and contributions will leave a lasting impact, not only on the lives of sea turtles but also on the preservation of our planet’s diverse and fragile ecosystems. Get ready for an adventure that will transform you, as you become a vital force in the conservation of these remarkable creatures. Together, we can make a difference!
This itinerary will outline the exciting and impactful activities you’ll be participating in as we strive to protect the remarkable sea turtles and their nesting grounds. Get ready to make a difference while surrounded by breathtaking natural beauty.
Day 1: Arrival and Orientation
- Arrive at our project site, where our friendly team will welcome you with open arms.
- Get settled in your accommodations and take some time to relax and soak in the surroundings.
- Attend a comprehensive orientation session, where you’ll learn about the project’s goals, safety guidelines, and your essential role in sea turtle conservation.
Day 2 – Day 5: Conservation Immersion
- Engage in flexible daily activities, dedicating approximately 4-8 hours a day to conservation efforts.
- Experience the thrill of nightly patrols at either 11 pm or 3 am, depending on the tides, where you’ll observe nesting sea turtles in their natural habitat.
- Collect biometric data from nesting turtles, contributing to crucial scientific research.
- Play an essential role in protecting the precious sea turtle eggs by relocating nests to safer areas.
- Monitor the nests day and night, eagerly awaiting the hatching of the tiny hatchlings.
- Participate in the emotional and rewarding experience of assisting the hatchlings’ journey to the sea during hatchling liberation.
- Contribute to the well-being of the beach and its inhabitants through beach cleaning activities.
- Participate in general maintenance tasks to ensure the comfort and functionality of the project site.
- Embrace the role of a nurturer by taking part in reforestation work, collecting and planting seeds to restore the local ecosystem.
- Showcase your creativity and skills in basic construction work, contributing to the establishment of vital hatcheries.
Day 6 – Day 7: Exploration and Adventure
- As a well-deserved break, explore the nearby attractions, such as the world-famous Tortuguero National Park (additional cost may apply).
- Immerse yourself in the captivating wonders of the park’s rich biodiversity and lush landscapes.
- Marvel at the diverse flora and fauna that call this region home, gaining a deeper appreciation for the importance of conservation.
Please note that the itinerary is subject to change due to weather conditions, local factors, and unforeseen circumstances. Your safety and the well-being of the wildlife and community remain our priority, and we’ll adapt as needed to ensure a rewarding and impactful experience.
Join us for an unforgettable conservation journey in the Caribbean, where each day brings new opportunities to protect and preserve these remarkable sea turtles for future generations!
Note: the turtle season is July to October, however there is still plenty of other work to do the rest of the year.
Travel & Accommodation
You will be met at San Jose International airport and taken to a nearby hostel for your first night. You will receive orientation the next morning, then take a public bus to the project site which is about 5 hours away. You will be met by a project coordinator at the other side and accompanied to the project site and your accommodation.
Accommodation is simple, but comfortable. Bedding is included. There are showers and flushing toilets. Sea breezes keep the rooms comfortable at night. Please note there is no WIFI or electricity in your rooms. The project is set in a remote but very beautiful area.
The atmosphere is international, with professionals and students from various organizations assisting in projects involving monkeys, crocodiles and turtles.
During your stay, you can enjoy three daily meals on weekdays and two on weekends, which are already included in your package. The meals offered are a combination of traditional and modern Costa Rican cuisine, providing a unique culinary experience that exposes you to the country’s gastronomy. The dishes served will feature a variety of proteins such as fish, chicken, pork, or beef, ensuring that you have a range of options to choose from. Furthermore, if you are a vegetarian, arrangements can be made to cater to your dietary needs.
- Minimum age 18
- Be keen and enthusiastic to get involved in the project
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Minimum 2 weeks commitment
- Police check (or equivalent) showing that you have no previous criminal convictions
- Signed medical form
- Fluent English skills
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
£1000 GBP per week
* 1 week deposit required to confirm your place. The balance will be due 4 weeks prior to your departure.
** For the latest currency conversions, go to xe.com.
*** All payments incur a 5% bank transfer fee
- Airport pickup & transfer to the project (including first night stay in hostel)
- Program orientation and training
- Emergency and 24/7 In-Country Support
- Accommodation and 3 Meals Daily, 2 meals on weekends.
- Certificate of Completion and CV Reference support
What’s Not included
- Additional meals, drinks, and gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Personal items and toiletries
- Police or background check
- Visa costs (where necessary)
Full assistance will be provided in getting all these arranged if you choose our Premium Support.
Premium Support Upgrade
We understand there’s a great deal to plan and organise for your trip. When booking a Placement, many of our participants choose to purchase our Premium Support Upgrade to benefit from the expertise, knowledge and experience of our Project Coordinators.
We can provide the personal advice you need to ensure your trip is organised with excellence and planned with efficiency; ensuring the very best experience possible. Read more about how we can help you.
Note: Map coordinates are approximate